General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run Faster Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-07-03 8:28 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Run Faster

Originally posted by colinphillips Again, let's be clear here folks. The question is not "Can you get faster (at *endurance running*) without intervals etc.?". We already know that the answer to that is "yes". The relevant questions are "Why does it work?", "What are the relative benefits of speed work vs. mileage for getting faster?", and "Are different types of runners (age, body type, background, ...) better suited by different approaches to getting faster?" All of those are useful questions. Saying "it makes no sense" here just amounts to saying "I am unable to understand", or "I refuse to believe the evidence".

I have no problem with any of that.  My problem is the same as always....the tired and worn out "just run more" in order to get faster.  Well....sure!  Of course that works.  But you won't get FAST.   Hell, that 29:00 5K that is now 28:15 because you "ran more" is great....you ran faster, but you didn't really get any faster.  To get faster at running you need to run fast.

Relative benefits of speed work vs. mileage?  Faster with less miles on your legs.  Are different types of runners better suited to different approaches?  YES!!  Which is my point.  "Just run more" is dumb advice when someone asks how to get faster......and you can use the "these middle aged people on this board, blah,blah,blah....".....but the fact is, the question on how to get faster constantly comes up. 

I would argue, collin, that you are one of those who is stuck on what works for you only....it's just wrong.  I can say it's wrong because I see the results of speed work......and then I see the results of LOTS of speedwork.  I will grant you that age makes a difference between the LOTS.....but I will not grant you the idea that speedwork is not a better option for many people to get faster.

2014-07-03 8:44 AM
in reply to: Nvmiller

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Nvmiller I need help... I can't seem to get faster on my runs. I would say my average is 10 min miles and once I start training towards 9 mins I always get injured (shine splints, IT Band issues, etc). I follow a training plan and I dont think I'm pushing myself too much. I just don't know what to do. Also, I can't seem to run the entire time. I walk after about 2 miles each time which kills my time. Nina

Nina, I don't have any idea where you stand in terms of run fitness or base, but I can tell you that consistency has been helpful for me. During those times where I am running 2-3 times a week (like now), I am "less fast" then when I am averaging 5-6 runs a week. When I carefully up my volume, I see speed increase. Since you seem to feel stuck in the 10 min area, were I you, I'd start running more often if possible.

A wise woman once told me that if I wanted to improve my 5K time, I should train for a marathon.  Simply put, start with base, carefully add volume, then later start to look at more focused training like speed work.

2014-07-03 8:56 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Nvmiller I need help... I can't seem to get faster on my runs. I would say my average is 10 min miles and once I start training towards 9 mins I always get injured (shine splints, IT Band issues, etc). I follow a training plan and I dont think I'm pushing myself too much. I just don't know what to do. Also, I can't seem to run the entire time. I walk after about 2 miles each time which kills my time. Nina

Nina, I don't have any idea where you stand in terms of run fitness or base, but I can tell you that consistency has been helpful for me. During those times where I am running 2-3 times a week (like now), I am "less fast" then when I am averaging 5-6 runs a week. When I carefully up my volume, I see speed increase. Since you seem to feel stuck in the 10 min area, were I you, I'd start running more often if possible.

A wise woman once told me that if I wanted to improve my 5K time, I should train for a marathon.  Simply put, start with base, carefully add volume, then later start to look at more focused training like speed work.

Chris, this is very good info.

Motoguy said it in the first reply to the OP. Frequency is one of the best ways for a novice runner to improve.

He also recommended BarryP which is known to work for many people. It's a proven strategy. It is a great framework, since it promotes frequency, proper/gradual building of volume and has room for specificity and speed work AT THE RIGHT TIME.
2014-07-03 8:58 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Nina, I would highly recommend checking out Daniels Running Formula.  It's available on Kindle as well as paperback.  We had a long discussion form in the Challenges section if you want to read through that.   Grossly simplified, he uses a 24-week training plan:

6 weeks "base building", all EZ runs with some quick strides
6 weeks developing neuro-muscular speed (with reps below your 5K race pace, but pretty limited)
6 weeks developing VO2 max through intervals of 3-5 minutes around 5K race pace
6 weeks of race season peaking with your A race

You also do tempo runs (@ roughly your 10K race pace) throughout the plan.

I think someone else above also mentioned Shane's running challenge forum...also highly recommended.

I somehow agree with just about all of the posts above, even though that may seem conflicting.  I feel once you have a strong base (i.e. solid mpw over a period of time) created by being consistent (i.e. running often), introducing "speed" work (i.e. threshold, VO2 max, and neuro-muscular runs) will get you faster.

2014-07-03 9:58 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

For a TRIATHLETE trying to improve their run, I would not following a training plan designed for a runner. I would just run more.

Remember runners NEED more higher intensity cardio work because they are not doing swim or bike training to provide that for them. I mean seriously, how much does even an elite runner actually run, 10 hours a week? (~100 miles) My easy recovery weeks are 11-12 hours. I don't think runners are often the best qualified to help triathletes learn to run better, other than during a Fall run focus after your triathlon season is over.

Runners are also very good and getting injured a lot. The one time I tried to push it and train more like a runner, I got injured. I've trained more like a triathlete since then doing mostly slower paced runs and I'm doing a lot better and destroying PR's.

Remember, you can't run a PR if your injured and cannot train.
2014-07-03 10:00 AM
in reply to: 0

New user
Key West
Originally posted by cdban66

I can definitely say that training for a marathon improved my 10K and HM time. I ran a Mary on June 1, and ran the fastest 10K and HM times I have run in the past 10 years and I wasn't going full out like I would at those distances. I am running a 5K tomorrow and we'll see how that goes. Frequency and volume definitely help, but I too believe in some form of speed work. If you race a lot, then that can, in most cases, take the place of speed work. But, if not, it doesn't hurt to throw in some intervals or even tempos at your goal pace. (My 2 cents)

Edited by topolina 2014-07-03 10:01 AM

2014-07-03 10:17 AM
in reply to: topolina

LIL...this conversation reminds me of a signature line a person over at Slowtwitch has that says something like..."speed work is icing on the cake, but you don't even have a cake, yet".

For the OP and not knowing what her current base is and given the fact that she stated there are injury issues, in my opinion telling her to begin incorporating speed work is a mistake. I agree with most posters who say speed work will help you get fast and help you reach potential. But it seems like the OP is really after just getting faster, not fast. There is a difference. And if that is the case, then running more and running more consistently will help her get faster...maybe not "fast" but certainly faster.

I like speed work; I do speed work that is appropriate for my goals. But telling everyone, regardless of background, that speed work must be done to improve is too generic, in my opinion.

Matt
2014-07-03 10:42 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by colinphillips Again, let's be clear here folks. The question is not "Can you get faster (at *endurance running*) without intervals etc.?". We already know that the answer to that is "yes". The relevant questions are "Why does it work?", "What are the relative benefits of speed work vs. mileage for getting faster?", and "Are different types of runners (age, body type, background, ...) better suited by different approaches to getting faster?" All of those are useful questions. Saying "it makes no sense" here just amounts to saying "I am unable to understand", or "I refuse to believe the evidence".

I have no problem with any of that.  My problem is the same as always....the tired and worn out "just run more" in order to get faster.  Well....sure!  Of course that works.  But you won't get FAST.   Hell, that 29:00 5K that is now 28:15 because you "ran more" is great....you ran faster, but you didn't really get any faster.  To get faster at running you need to run fast.

Relative benefits of speed work vs. mileage?  Faster with less miles on your legs.  Are different types of runners better suited to different approaches?  YES!!  Which is my point.  "Just run more" is dumb advice when someone asks how to get faster......and you can use the "these middle aged people on this board, blah,blah,blah....".....but the fact is, the question on how to get faster constantly comes up. 

I would argue, collin, that you are one of those who is stuck on what works for you only....it's just wrong.  I can say it's wrong because I see the results of speed work......and then I see the results of LOTS of speedwork.  I will grant you that age makes a difference between the LOTS.....but I will not grant you the idea that speedwork is not a better option for many people to get faster.

Both aspects of the this argument has merit. Run more and you will get faster- proven.. Do speed work and you will get faster-- proven.

I think it comes down to the individual cases. Someone such as myself who has no run background can get faster to a point by running more. However I have no muscle memory of how to run FAST. So without some speed work I only seem to get to a certain point. Throw a little speed work in and my overall pace increases much faster.
My speed work is not like LB's sons speed work- that would probably put me in the hospital.
everyone needs to build a base before doing speed work, but how much will be different for each person. Young people can usually do a lot less miles and through speed work without a problem and get good results. As you get older I feel you need a better base(more miles) before putting in that speed work.

Now define fast?

I think that almost anyone can get under a 10min mile in a 5k by just adding more miles/days of running.

Once you are talking about the 7minute range and faster you need some speed work to get there.

This is what I have seen over the last several years, but this also changes for people with a running background. someone who was a good runner 20 years earlier seems to be able to improve more with increased mileage than someone with no running history.

IMHO. as I am no running expert
2014-07-03 11:43 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
My completely unscientific, unsupported take on this is that many people "stuck" in the 9:00 or 10:00 pace range are there for mental rather than physiological reasons. As an almost 50-year old MOP runner, I'm no longer mentally willing to dig deep and hurt to run fast like I was in high school. Back in the day, every 5-k race was pushed to the point where everyone was about ready to throw-up as they crossed the line and almost no one could talk without a few minutes recovery. I know I don't push anywhere near that hard during the 5k's I do now. Mentally, I'm not prepared to turn the dial up to 10....I'm stuck at 7 or 8.

2014-07-03 12:03 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by g_shotts My completely unscientific, unsupported take on this is that many people "stuck" in the 9:00 or 10:00 pace range are there for mental rather than physiological reasons. As an almost 50-year old MOP runner, I'm no longer mentally willing to dig deep and hurt to run fast like I was in high school. Back in the day, every 5-k race was pushed to the point where everyone was about ready to throw-up as they crossed the line and almost no one could talk without a few minutes recovery. I know I don't push anywhere near that hard during the 5k's I do now. Mentally, I'm not prepared to turn the dial up to 10....I'm stuck at 7 or 8.

For those like you, some speedwork might help (if you have an interest in dialing back up to 10--not everyone does).  That, or simply racing more.  Racing is awfully good training.

2014-07-03 2:15 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by g_shotts My completely unscientific, unsupported take on this is that many people "stuck" in the 9:00 or 10:00 pace range are there for mental rather than physiological reasons. As an almost 50-year old MOP runner, I'm no longer mentally willing to dig deep and hurt to run fast like I was in high school. Back in the day, every 5-k race was pushed to the point where everyone was about ready to throw-up as they crossed the line and almost no one could talk without a few minutes recovery. I know I don't push anywhere near that hard during the 5k's I do now. Mentally, I'm not prepared to turn the dial up to 10....I'm stuck at 7 or 8.

For those like you, some speedwork might help (if you have an interest in dialing back up to 10--not everyone does).  That, or simply racing more.  Racing is awfully good training.

So.....go fast more? 

2014-07-03 3:28 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Nvmiller

I need help... I can't seem to get faster on my runs. I would say my average is 10 min miles and once I start training towards 9 mins I always get injured (shine splints, IT Band issues, etc). I follow a training plan and I dont think I'm pushing myself too much. I just don't know what to do. Also, I can't seem to run the entire time. I walk after about 2 miles each time which kills my time.

Nina

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned your form yet. If you're only having this problem at higher paces i would ask that you look deeply into your stride mechanics. Are you landing forefoot or are you a heel striker? Once your entire foot is "engaged" with the ground is your center of mass in front or behind your knees. Where is your knee in relation to that foot?

From what I've seen people tend have issues if they push for higher speed while carrying their bad habits or poor form with them.

Try video taping yourself and slowly going through the video, it will most likely be very informative. Bad form + A Speed faster than you can comfortably run today = Definite Injury

ETA: It seems we are debating HOW to get faster and not WHY the OP is injured when running fast.

Edited by Brian W 2014-07-03 3:30 PM
2014-07-03 3:38 PM

User image

Originally posted by Nvmiller

I need help... I can't seem to get faster on my runs. I would say my average is 10 min miles and once I start training towards 9 mins I always get injured (shine splints, IT Band issues, etc). I follow a training plan and I dont think I'm pushing myself too much. I just don't know what to do. Also, I can't seem to run the entire time. I walk after about 2 miles each time which kills my time.

Nina

What does your typical week look like? How many miles at 10:00/mile are you doing? When you say a training plan, does it have set paces you are trying to hit? If so, how are you determining those paces?

If you are just trying to gradually go faster all the time, then this could lead to overuse and injuries. You won't be doing enough easy running in order to let your body absorb the increased speed. You don't need a complicated training plan, but it does help to have some planned workouts in order to learn to run faster. I would be you are simply trying to do too much faster running, which is leading to fatigue and overuse.

Lots of people have talked about volume, and that's pretty important. This volume buildup should be at your easy pace, until you have a decent base. And when you have a decent base, add in some faster running, starting in one of your runs per week. Like short tempo segments (for example, start with, "comfortably hard" for 10 minutes, recover for 2 minutes, repeat another 10 minutes), or some shorter intervals (for example, start with something like 4-6 x 3 min hard with 3 min recovery). You don't need to look at your pace for these runs yet-- just go by feel. But when you are ready to look at pace...

If your "easy" pace is about 10:00/mile, then you might be doing those tempo segments at about 9:00/mile and the faster intervals at about 8:00/mile. But then MOST of your running in the week will still be 10:00/mile or slower. But in general, those paces should be set based on your current fitness. That is, you would be able to run a 5K race in about 25 minutes to do those speed work paces. Use one of the running calculators to get a feel for what paces you might be doing. If you can't do an all out 5K race in about 25 minutes (and I mean a stand-alone, properly measured 5K), then trying to do all your running at 9:00/mile is a recipe for injury. You may actually need to slow down your easy pace in order to do the faster stuff at 9:00/mile and then later faster. A lot of people become one-pace runners by doing all their runs at their "in between pace"-- this could be you too.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-07-03 3:43 PM
2014-07-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Brian W
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned your form yet. If you're only having this problem at higher paces i would ask that you look deeply into your stride mechanics. Are you landing forefoot or are you a heel striker? Once your entire foot is "engaged" with the ground is your center of mass in front or behind your knees. Where is your knee in relation to that foot? From what I've seen people tend have issues if they push for higher speed while carrying their bad habits or poor form with them. Try video taping yourself and slowly going through the video, it will most likely be very informative. Bad form + A Speed faster than you can comfortably run today = Definite Injury

Yep....bad habits and poor form that was developed by running slow all the time.

Bad running form is the hallmark of slow running. Show me someone running 10-12 minute mile pace and I'll show you someone with poor form. In fact, you can't run that slow with a good forward lean, good arm swing, and good knee drive. Running fast developes good run form.  Doing drills helps hone that form.  Running slow does NOTHING to help run form, but it will help develope bad habits and the inability to reach your speed potential. 

2014-07-03 3:46 PM

User image

Except that slow running is key to building your base such that your muscles and connective tissues and bones are ready for the faster running.

Easy running doesn't have to be bad-form running if you shorten your stride and stay light on your feet.
2014-07-03 8:30 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs Except that slow running is key to building your base such that your muscles and connective tissues and bones are ready for the faster running. Easy running doesn't have to be bad-form running if you shorten your stride and stay light on your feet.

Slow running isn't necessarily a key to anything.  Easy running is a different story.  I'm talking about people who's "fast" is over 10:00 miles no matter how much running they do.... bad form.  Running, like any athletic endeavor, needs to be practiced to be done well.  There is quite a bit of practice that doesn't include going for a run. Most people completely miss that.  They will practice swimming, they will even do one legged drills, etc. on a bike, or practice handling skills....and then they just go run like they will magically get better at it just by running.  There is a very large percentage of people for which that won't work......all they do is run more, they don't get better or faster at running.

2014-07-03 9:20 PM

Big caveat for LB's kids - they might not run 30mpw, but they do serious bike training that definitely adds 'volume' to the legs, which counts to a large degree for running equivalent endurance load.

A triathlete running 30mpw but with significant bike training (often more volume than the run training) is definitely a good amount of volume, and speedwork on the run is definitely on the menu.

However, a pure runner running <30mpw with no bike training is a totally different situation. You can still run pretty fast if you've got great genetics, but you're leaving a lot on the table with that low run training volume. 

2014-07-03 9:45 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by yazmaster
A triathlete running 30mpw but with significant bike training (often more volume than the run training) is definitely a good amount of volume, and speedwork on the run is definitely on the menu.

I would encourage caution in such situations. Yes, this triathlete is likely to have an excellent volume of cardiovascular training, but that may even add to the risk of getting hurt in running (been there!). The bike volume does nothing to prepare the body for the pounding of running.
2014-07-03 9:48 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by yazmaster

Big caveat for LB's kids - they might not run 30mpw, but they do serious bike training that definitely adds 'volume' to the legs, which counts to a large degree for running equivalent endurance load.

However, a pure runner running<30mpw with no bike training is a totally different situation. You can still run pretty fast if you've got great genetics, but you're leaving a lot on the table with that low run training volume. 

To date Jr. has biked 830 miles, ran 340 miles, and swam 450,000 yards. (40 mpw biking, 15 mpw running on avg.).  None of those totals would remotely be considered "serious" training for any single discipline.  What he does is VERY focused workouts, and a very large percentage of them contain very fast intervals.  You'd likely be surprised at how little time he actually spends biking or running.....because it's done fast.  He also races ALOT.  Between 400, 800, mile and 2 mile he probably lined up 40-50 times, maybe 50 times on the starting blocks of a swim race, and TT's an crits on the bike.....and of course triathlon.

It's not how I trained when I started, and it's nothing close to what most believe is needed for the results he's had.....but he just doesn't train slow ever......easy sometimes.....never slow.  The results are hard to argue with. 

FWIW - he would argue vehemently with you over the biggest benefit to his biking and running.  He gives major props to the 2-3000 yard kick sets he does weekly.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-03 9:56 PM
2014-07-03 11:07 PM

Running more and running faster are both good advice, but the real question is how much of each, and when, right?

To me, becoming a better runner is like building a house. And the first thing you need with building a house is a solid foundation.

So to start, you have to figure out where you are with your house. Do you have a foundation? How long have you been running consistently, how many miles per week, and how many weeks, months, or years have you been running? What is your injury history? Do you have cracks in your foundation?

If you have none, or a weak foundation, just running consistently is going to make that foundation stronger.

So using existing running plans. Something like Hal Higdon's beginner, or intermediate plans are a good place to start. They have consistency, and build volume responsibly.

So say you have adequate volume (depends on your goals and races), and have good consistency, and have been relatively uninjured, then you have to start working on building the frame of your house, and perhaps even some walls and a roof.

Again, using existing running plans I am familiar with, something like Daniels Running Formula, Pfitzinger, or Hanson would be good to look at. They all have good consistency, but start to work in specific training that works in other aspects of endurance running, other than just building base endurance. They will work threshold, teach you how to push your threshold higher with VO2 max work, and also teach and train you to run closer to threshold for longer. So this is where running faster comes in.

Beyond that is where you add all the fancy architectural features to your house, like cornices, and corbles, and perhaps even a flying buttress! Before I get even more carried away with my analogy, I will get to the point. This is where runners deviate, they need to experiment a bit, and find out what type of training works best for them. Most will have these basic elements, but they can vary in amount.

A young runner with elastic muscles, ligaments, and tendons can run harder and faster more often, and with a far less likelihood of injury compared with an older runner, or perhaps just one who is more injury prone. But even at the elite level (using marathoners as an example), some have their best races when running 120 mpw or more! While others race their best at considerably less (still a lot though, probably none less than 80 or 90 mpw). And in most cases it takes a coach to figure this out.

But being coached aside, with experience, can come the knowledge of what works for YOU. Colin is a fast masters runner who has figured out what works for him. LB's son is a gifted young athlete who is being coached for what is best for him. If they followed each others training plans, LB's son would be far from racing near his potential, and Colin... well... it probably wouldn't be pretty.

So for you. For your goals, you should have a general idea of what your volume should be. If you've been doing that volume consistently, then take the next step. If you feel you can push yourself a bit, do it. Nothing crazy. Don't head down to the track for an insane 20 x 400 workout. Perhaps try some fartlek (vary your pace at random intervals, speed up and challenge yourself at a pace that you are not comfortable at, then slow back down, recover a bit, then repeat). Or perhaps try some tempo work where you push yourself out of your comfort zone, and run at threshold for a responsible distance.

Build your foundation, then build on that foundation. Its not all or none. What works for one runner doesn't necessarily work for another. But you have to experiment to see what works for you.

It is like that famous Einstein quote, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

2014-07-04 9:33 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Brian W
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned your form yet. If you're only having this problem at higher paces i would ask that you look deeply into your stride mechanics. Are you landing forefoot or are you a heel striker? Once your entire foot is "engaged" with the ground is your center of mass in front or behind your knees. Where is your knee in relation to that foot? From what I've seen people tend have issues if they push for higher speed while carrying their bad habits or poor form with them. Try video taping yourself and slowly going through the video, it will most likely be very informative. Bad form + A Speed faster than you can comfortably run today = Definite Injury

Yep....bad habits and poor form that was developed by running slow all the time.

Bad running form is the hallmark of slow running. Show me someone running 10-12 minute mile pace and I'll show you someone with poor form. In fact, you can't run that slow with a good forward lean, good arm swing, and good knee drive. Running fast developes good run form.  Doing drills helps hone that form.  Running slow does NOTHING to help run form, but it will help develope bad habits and the inability to reach your speed potential. 

I agree with most of this. Running slow can definitely lead to some strange & awkward mechanics. My only point is that if the OP is injured when trying to run fast it's time to assess form.

It seems a lot of people think running is "so hard" on the body & they'll never be able to do it because it just beats them up. You have to be taught to throw a football, swing a bat, ride a bike...running is no different. You can't expect to just "get better" by running fast. your form, do drills, focus on these things when running at tempo & boom, you've got yourself a faster pace.

2014-07-04 3:43 PM
in reply to: Nvmiller

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
This is like the old beer commercials, "run more... no run faster"

I need a beer!
2014-07-04 3:50 PM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tomspharmacy This is like the old beer commercials, "run more... no run faster" I need a beer!

Bro.....it's the 4th....you don't have beer?  Seriously? 

2014-07-04 4:04 PM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

User image

Originally posted by tomspharmacy This is like the old beer commercials, "run more... no run faster" I need a beer!

Come on over I'll hook ya up!

2014-07-07 3:41 PM
in reply to: mstimpson

User image

Hi Matt -

I am running about 3 times a week normally 3-4 miles (twice) and then a longer run 6-8 miles on the weekend. Normally I am staying at a 10 min mile for the 3 to 4 mile runs and then it might get closer to 11 for the longer runs.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run Faster Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

To Run Fast, You Need To Run Fast Pages: 1 2

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 4671 Posts: 41

2013-10-25 10:47 AM Tryrn

RW's Run Less, Run Faster

Started by generalee2010
Views: 1148 Posts: 5

2009-05-19 2:55 PM davegibb

Run more = run faster, bike more = bike faster?

Started by trey800hj
Views: 2600 Posts: 10

2009-02-23 9:04 PM newbz

Run less, run faster?? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by kcovert1
Views: 7423 Posts: 67

2008-12-23 1:28 PM the bear

Run faster vs. Run longer

Started by kromanowski
Views: 2615 Posts: 25

2008-09-25 2:27 PM qrkid
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
comments : 0
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.

date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach-Al
In this segment, Coach Al speaks on the topic of "where does running speed come from?" Also discussed are stride rate, stride length and changing your stride.
date : October 12, 2009
author : Coach-Al
Learn the basics of what happens when you run. Also covered are the principles of elasticity, mobility and stability. Run faster without running the big miles.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?

date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
comments : 1
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.
date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.