General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I stay still or even go backwards when I work on my kick Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-06 11:24 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Bossier City
Subject: RE: I stay still or even go backwards when I work on my kick
Thanks for all of the input. I am going to incorporate some ankle flexibility work into my stretching routine. I know that swimming is an area where I can make some big gains. I am stubborn enough to not give up no matter how frustrating this has been for me.

2014-07-07 6:57 AM
in reply to: WaltRitchie

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-07 7:18 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Don, I find your response somewhat irritating because it reads to me like you're dismissive of non-coach input.  For example, this:

Originally posted by TriMyBest

You're making a good point, but IME, it's always been a combination of inadequate plantar flexion and kicking from the knees.  

I read that as "you're making a good point, but in my experience you're wrong".  And note the "I am a coach" autosignature.

I'd be curious to hear if any of the other coaches have ever seen someone who moves backwards when kicking who didn't have both issues going on at the same time.

And there you go. You invite other coaches to weigh in, in effect excluding the non-coach input.

I'm not a coach, but I did stay at Holiday Inn Express.

Are you tapering, Bruce?  

I agreed with what you said, and expanded on it saying that in my experience it was a combination of both ankle flexibility and kicking from the knees, not just one or the other.  You're reading into it if you got "I'm a coach, and you're wrong" from what I said.

I don't understand the significance of mentioning my signature line.  I'm a full time personal trainer and coach.  You're implying that you find it irritating that I communicate that fact.  IMO, anyone providing a service who participates in online forums like this is foolish if they don't include an easy way to find them in all their posts.

I mentioned other coaches, because rightly or wrongly, I assume that most coaches have seen many more swimmers (i.e. a larger data set) than would be observed at the Holiday Inn Express.  I didn't intend to exclude the input of anyone because they're not a coach.  It was meant to solicit input from a larger data set, and frankly, avoid the "this is my n=1" that gets posted so often, and IMO, propagates bad advice at least as often as good advice.

Let me restate my question so we can get the conversation back on track:  Has anyone here ever observed someone move backwards when kicking who exhibited only limited plantar flexion or kicking from the knees, and not both simultaneously?

2014-07-07 8:18 AM
in reply to: 0

Pro

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Don, I find your response somewhat irritating because it reads to me like you're dismissive of non-coach input.  For example, this:

You're making a good point, but IME, it's always been a combination of inadequate plantar flexion and kicking from the knees.  

I read that as "you're making a good point, but in my experience you're wrong".  And note the "I am a coach" autosignature.

I'd be curious to hear if any of the other coaches have ever seen someone who moves backwards when kicking who didn't have both issues going on at the same time.

And there you go. You invite other coaches to weigh in, in effect excluding the non-coach input.

I'm not a coach, but I did stay at Holiday Inn Express.

Are you tapering, Bruce?  

I agreed with what you said, and expanded on it saying that in my experience it was a combination of both ankle flexibility and kicking from the knees, not just one or the other.  You're reading into it if you got "I'm a coach, and you're wrong" from what I said.

I don't understand the significance of mentioning my signature line.  I'm a full time personal trainer and coach.  You're implying that you find it irritating that I communicate that fact.  IMO, anyone providing a service who participates in online forums like this is foolish if they don't include an easy way to find them in all their posts.

I mentioned other coaches, because rightly or wrongly, I assume that most coaches have seen many more swimmers (i.e. a larger data set) than would be observed at the Holiday Inn Express.  I didn't intend to exclude the input of anyone because they're not a coach.  It was meant to solicit input from a larger data set, and frankly, avoid the "this is my n=1" that gets posted so often, and IMO, propagates bad advice at least as often as good advice.

Let me restate my question so we can get the conversation back on track:  Has anyone here ever observed someone move backwards when kicking who exhibited only limited plantar flexion or kicking from the knees, and not both simultaneously?

Me!  It took me forever to develope any kind of kick, and I easily went backwards when I started, even after being very aware of kicking from my hips.  If your feet are at a 90 degree angle to your lower leg (or close) when they enter the water you go backwards.....it's the same as sculling with a paddle.  I never had aproblem with bicycle kicking, I just had NO flex in my ankles.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-07 8:20 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I stay still or even go backwards when I work on my kick Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Staying on trainer...even during good weather Pages: 1 2

Started by baker03
Views: 2795 Posts: 46

2011-03-22 3:08 PM Ryno74

Going backwards

Started by jason808
Views: 983 Posts: 6

2010-05-20 12:10 PM Scout7

HELP!!-Going Backwards

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1404 Posts: 13

2005-12-30 8:46 AM mscotthall

Staying Focused at Work

Started by JTK
Views: 799 Posts: 11

2004-08-17 2:10 PM ut_tri_465

should have stayed up and gone running...

Started by djoye
Views: 526 Posts: 1

2004-05-02 9:08 AM djoye