General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

City of Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Santa Rosa, New Mexico
United States
FIT FUNdamentals
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 11m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = co-ed relay
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Friday evening we drove the couple hours to Santa Rosa and checked in to our hotel. Saturday morning I woke and got ready then woke DH and DS2 so they could get ready as well. The RD set up with the host hotels to have breakfast ready at 0500 for the racers. WIN! I grabbed a yogurt because I didn't think I'd be able to eat much more.
We packed up, loaded my bike and drove the 7 minutes to the race site. The area was full of goat-heads so I carried my bike from the car to transition (except for the bit where the road was).
I'd been having IT Band issues for a couple weeks so, reluctantly made the decision to switch to a relay team and let DS2 run the 10k. The RD was great about letting me switch and didn't charge me the full team price because there were two of us instead of 3.
I set up transition then DS2 and I went for body marking and chip. Then I waited for a bit in the porta-john line. DH and DS2 talked with an IronsSpouse while I fond Rock Tractor and my friend Beth.
After a while the RD and USAT official did the announcements then everyone headed down to the lake edge for the beginning of the first wave.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 31m 29s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the third and final Oly wave, there were two sprint waves after mine. I had some concerns about being last out of the water because I was in the last Oly wave and the sprint wave was doing one lap.

After the second wave started my wave was able to enter the water and spend 5 minutes getting ready. I went all the way under, filled the suit with lake water, got my goggles wet and set on my head and waited.

When we were given the go I was able to get around some of the people in my wave and hang on to some feet for a bit. The water tasted nasty so I tried really hard not to let any in my mouth. It was pretty clear, though, and I was able to see the bottom of the lake the whole time. I had people around me much of the time and used that as an intermediate navigational tool but peeked up every 8 strokes or so. Doing a quick peek was tough though because the people on the paddle boards/kayaks were wearing shirts the same color as the buoy.

I was happy with my effort level and as I finished the first lap I wasn't completely dreading the second lap. During the second lap I kept up the effort knowing that soon I'd be biking and today I don't have to save energy for the run.

As I got close to the shore I saw people behind me, one going sideways :O So I knew I wasn't last out of the water, yay! I swam until my fingers touched then stood up and ran. There were a couple of strippers so I let one of them help me then I put on my flip-flops, well actually they were someone elses flip-flops that looked just like mine but were in the wrong position to be mine, and headed to T1.
What would you do differently?:

I am really happy with my effort and speed on this swim, especially considering the fact that my time includes the stripping and run up to the transition corral. However, I still need to work on my swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

We lost a minute to the other teams in T1 because we were the only 2 person team. I did run with my bike but I was carrying it so that slowed me down a bit. The course turned left out of T1 and went down hill for about a quarter mile so getting up to speed was easy.

pretty happy with it but maybe try with no socks
Bike
  • 1h 41m 8s
  • 40 kms
  • 23.73 km/hr
Comments:

As I said, the course goes down to a parking lot where we turned around and headed up the first of many hills. I pushed it hard up the first hill to break out of the traffic and begin the joy of passing people on the hills. I passed a lot of people but never knew if they were sprint or Oly. The ride was a pretty one and the road was in good shape.

Somewhere on the way out the first time I passed a farm where a truck was pulling out on to the road. The truck was out and clear with no problem. The problem was the dog that followed the truck on to the road. Unsure what the dog would do I slowed way down and went out and around him. Whew, non-event, mostly.

At the first turnaround I was slowed more than I would have liked because the man in front of me was being unpredictable. Once I got turned around I passed hime but he and I would pass and re-pass a few times before I left him for good on one of the larger hills.

On the way back on the first lap I rode past a girl who was stopped on the side and I heard her tell someone that she only needed CO2. I had an extra cartridge so I stopped and gave it to her then took off again. As I neared transition I saw DH and DS2 yelling for me. It was very motivating because I knew that I had only one more lap until I was done and because I'd told DS2 I'd try not to start him out in the back of the Oly. About that time I realized my yogurt was not sustaining my effort level. I'd put a package of shot blocks in my pocket so I started eating those every few minutes. That, combined with my Skratch, had me feeling right as rain by the time I got to the turnaround half way through the second lap. I continued to pass people and asked the guys at the turnaround if they'd moved it closer because lap 2 felt a LOT shorter. I was getting to the point that my legs were starting to burn on the hills but I pulled a Jens Voigt and pushed with all I had, because I didn't have to run.
As I neared transition DH was yelling for me, love that man, and DS2 was waiting at the gate to T2 to run in with me.

Work on bike fitness, start taking on calories sooner
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No time was recorded for T2 but it was easy because we ran to the spot and I handed the chip to DS2 and off he went
Run
  • 00m
  • 10 kms
  •  min/km
Post race
Warm down:

After the bike leg DH and I carried my stuff to the car then we drove over to the spot where the race would end. We passed DS2 on the way and he looked great!

We got to the finish and DH went in to town to get water for DS2 and I because the race was out :\ I walked over to a spot where I knew DS2 would run past a couple times. I yelled for him when he passed and chatted with a lady I'd met when I volunteered at the kids tri a few weeks ago.

DH got back with water a few minutes before DS2 passed our spot for the last time then the course did a little spur up the street then headed back toward the finish. When DS2 got to us he told us the course was out of water so DH handed him a bottle. One of the nearby racers commented "two minutes" and I took the water back from DS2 and explained to both of them that it was outside assistance. Fortunately there wasn't far to go and we ran to the end where we gave the water back to DS2.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics, training. I was pretty wiped out at the end so I know I gave it everything I had.

Event comments:

The RD is a friend of mine so it's hard to be critical. We started just a few minutes late so not enough to worry about. Running out of water at the finish and on the run is no bueno though. The RD is a coach and is all about the people who are out there trying so to run out of water for the back of the pack was bad.

The awards were pretty cool. Third place got a cocktail sized glass that had the race and year on it, second was pint sized and first was bigger still. DS2 commented that it's good we didn't get first because the pint size fits the other glasses in our cupboard. :D

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:29 | 1500 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: bottom part of my bib part of my DeSoto sleeveless
Course: Two diamond shaped laps around the lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:41:08 | 40 kms | 23.73 km/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out 6 miles and back X2 on an undulating road
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 10 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/3
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-07-02 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: City of Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course

2014-07-02 8:45 PM
in reply to: #5020692

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: City of Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course

Well done! You worked with what you had & made a good race out of it.

Very nice the RD let you switch to relay but yeah, not good to run out of water on the course or at the finish.

2014-07-03 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Well done!  If i didn't know better i would have laid money that the person you saw swimming sideways was me

I'm glad you and your son were able to do this together. On the water front, I think if the course runs out of water there should not be a penalty for giving it to a racer.  Running out of water is total B.S.  Of course, that's just my opinion 

2014-07-03 10:32 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Super speedy bike leg - I'm so impressed!!  And your swim wasn't half-bad either.   So glad you and DS2 got to do the race together.  Even if it wasn't what you'd planned, I think it's pretty cool that you share your passion for racing with your son and were able to do this race as a team before he ships out.

2014-07-03 10:56 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Thanks Ladies. I agree that it was a great opportunity to race with DS2 as a team. Not sure we'll be able to do RnR Denver so I'm glad we shared this one. I also agree that outside assistance should be allowed in such an instance and said as much to the racer who made the comment.

2014-07-03 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Great job TJ!

You guys beat my wife's team (KCKin It)... it was that awesome bike time you laid down, Well done!!

It was a pleasure meeting you!

2014-07-04 6:50 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Melon Presser

yada yada yada STRIPPERS yada yada yada DOG yada yada DS2 ...

Awesome job!

2014-07-07 12:30 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Nice work, Jens!

I've said it before but it bears repeating: it is so cool that you race with your children, love it!  Congrats to both of you on your bling, or clink in this case!

2014-07-07 3:20 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
awesome swim and bike! And wicked cool to race with DS!

Well done
2014-07-08 8:10 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Family racing!!  Yay!

Nice job emptying yourself on the bike - what could be better??

Oh, getting a pint glass, too!  

Congrats.

Matt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

City of Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by RockTractor
Views: 1094 Posts: 2

2014-07-02 12:59 PM rrrunner

Started by Pilgrim
Views: 673 Posts: 1

2014-06-30 7:35 PM Pilgrim

Started by riofire841
Views: 760 Posts: 1

2014-06-29 1:10 PM riofire841

HITS Triathlon Series: Lake Havasu City - Olympic Course

Started by BHannahs
Views: 1251 Posts: 2

2012-11-15 9:10 AM acv

Park City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by roberto24
Views: 1015 Posts: 1

2011-06-20 12:28 AM roberto24
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?