General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tapering for IM distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-03 12:56 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Tapering for IM distance
I've been watching a facebook discussion regarding everyone's plans for tapering for louisville and the responses are all over the place. I always thought I knew what I was doing regarding tapering, but seeing all these different plans has thrown me for a loop. I've always been under the impression that you don't really change much, aside from a progressive reduction in volume.
For example, for a 3 week taper, my plan(Be Iron Fit Intermediate) is calling for roughly 50% down the first week, 30% the next, and very very little the last week.
But, in the end, I'm still doing 3x swim, 3x bike, 3x run.

Some of the response I'm seeing are, "i'm dropping the bike and run almost entirely, and focusing on swim, another is going to pick up a ton of core work with weights, some only doing a 2 week taper.

I've just never heard of so many different taper plans. I got the impression some people looked at taper as training being over, rather than it being just a gentle reduction in volume and there are 2-4 weeks to kill and just want to fill the time.

I dunno, I"m counting the days till my taper begins, I'm sure as hell not going to be going crazy because I'm not doing insane volumes of training!

Is this typical for taper? Is more of a "to each his own" or is there a best way to go about it

2014-07-03 1:16 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Tapering for IM distance
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

I've been watching a facebook discussion regarding everyone's plans for tapering for louisville and the responses are all over the place. I always thought I knew what I was doing regarding tapering, but seeing all these different plans has thrown me for a loop. I've always been under the impression that you don't really change much, aside from a progressive reduction in volume.
For example, for a 3 week taper, my plan(Be Iron Fit Intermediate) is calling for roughly 50% down the first week, 30% the next, and very very little the last week.
But, in the end, I'm still doing 3x swim, 3x bike, 3x run.

Some of the response I'm seeing are, "i'm dropping the bike and run almost entirely, and focusing on swim, another is going to pick up a ton of core work with weights, some only doing a 2 week taper.

I've just never heard of so many different taper plans. I got the impression some people looked at taper as training being over, rather than it being just a gentle reduction in volume and there are 2-4 weeks to kill and just want to fill the time.

I dunno, I"m counting the days till my taper begins, I'm sure as hell not going to be going crazy because I'm not doing insane volumes of training!

Is this typical for taper? Is more of a "to each his own" or is there a best way to go about it

Lots of ways you can do this. General idea is cut volume, keep intensity, increase frequency, etc. End goal is to MAXIMIZE rest/recovery with a small depletion in fitness. You will undoubtedly lose a bit of your fitness, but the key is to MINIMIZE that loss to give you a PEAK performance on race day. I was told once that you should feel like you are shot of out of cannon race day. Not the day before, not a week before, etc.

Lots to think about when designing a taper if you want to extend off the above.

Big vs small athlete require different tapers
Previous background of IM's
Race conditions, heat vs cool, terrain, etc
Training volume leading up to race

As you can see lots of variable come into play about how to taper based off the general guidelines. PM me if you want and I can send you a bunch of resources, guides, etc from some great reputable athletes coaches, and offer my insight as well.
2014-07-03 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Each person is a little different, and any "canned" training plan like you are using doesn't account for your specific issues.  

You are entering your last build phase for IMKY.  Are you dealing with any muscle or bone injuries or just the fatigue from constantly training.  Taper is a chance for your body to recover, so if you're injured, taper more.  If you're feeling pretty spunky, taper less.  The final week should be consistent but very short workouts at race pace.  20-30 minute swims (although it isn't uncommon to swim a loop of the two-loop swim courses), 30-45 minute rides, 20-30 minute runs.  

If you are going to schedule a final massage, do it early in the taper as you'll want some muscle adaptation to occur after the massage.  

In my cases, my "taper" was pretty abrupt.  We drove from Illinois to Idaho for IMCdA, so the bike was boxed and unavailable for a week prior to the race.  I ran once or twice, but didn't have a place to swim until I could swim at the venue the two days prior to the race.  I did a 45-minute test ride after reassembling the bike.  Oh...I hiked a lot with the family, which isn't ideal, but was part of the trip.  Vineman was similar, but we flew rather than drive.  The bike still went into a box about a week early and I did a short test ride once it was put back together.  No swimming and only a few short runs.  

2014-07-03 2:22 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

another is going to pick up a ton of core work with weights

What could possibly go wrong?

2014-07-03 5:30 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Originally posted by lisac957

another is going to pick up a ton of core work with weights

What could possibly go wrong?

they really ought to throw in a bunch of cross fit work outs as taper work
2014-07-04 8:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville I've been watching a facebook discussion regarding everyone's plans for tapering for louisville and the responses are all over the place. I always thought I knew what I was doing regarding tapering, but seeing all these different plans has thrown me for a loop. I've always been under the impression that you don't really change much, aside from a progressive reduction in volume. For example, for a 3 week taper, my plan(Be Iron Fit Intermediate) is calling for roughly 50% down the first week, 30% the next, and very very little the last week. But, in the end, I'm still doing 3x swim, 3x bike, 3x run. Some of the response I'm seeing are, "i'm dropping the bike and run almost entirely, and focusing on swim, another is going to pick up a ton of core work with weights, some only doing a 2 week taper. I've just never heard of so many different taper plans. I got the impression some people looked at taper as training being over, rather than it being just a gentle reduction in volume and there are 2-4 weeks to kill and just want to fill the time. I dunno, I"m counting the days till my taper begins, I'm sure as hell not going to be going crazy because I'm not doing insane volumes of training! Is this typical for taper? Is more of a "to each his own" or is there a best way to go about it
Lots of ways you can do this. General idea is cut volume, keep intensity, increase frequency, etc. End goal is to MAXIMIZE rest/recovery with a small depletion in fitness. You will undoubtedly lose a bit of your fitness, but the key is to MINIMIZE that loss to give you a PEAK performance on race day. I was told once that you should feel like you are shot of out of cannon race day. Not the day before, not a week before, etc. Lots to think about when designing a taper if you want to extend off the above. Big vs small athlete require different tapers Previous background of IM's Race conditions, heat vs cool, terrain, etc Training volume leading up to race As you can see lots of variable come into play about how to taper based off the general guidelines. PM me if you want and I can send you a bunch of resources, guides, etc from some great reputable athletes coaches, and offer my insight as well.

^^^This is pretty much it^^^

The only thing I'd add is a clarification for the bold part.  It's not necessarily about training volume so much as it is about fatigue level.  Using the terminology of Training Peaks and their Performance Management Chart, it's about Training Stress Balance (TSB).  A large negative TSB (a lot of fatigue) will generally require a longer taper than a smaller negative TSB.

Here's a really good article by Dr. Alan Couzens about tapering.  It's pretty much what I use as the basis for a starting point for tapering a new (to me) athlete until I learn specifically what works best for the individual:  http://alancouzens.blogspot.com/2012/09/tapering-part-ii-taper-weeks-by-sport.html

BTW, for HIM's, I've personally tapered as long as 2 weeks and as short as 5 days and still raced well.

Edited by TriMyBest 2014-07-04 9:00 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tapering for IM distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Olympic distance ...do you taper ?

Started by maubueno
Views: 2250 Posts: 11

2008-06-22 8:19 PM Dream Chaser

IM Training vs Marathon taper

Started by Rogillio
Views: 811 Posts: 13

2007-04-19 1:46 PM WaterDog66

1/2 IM taper help 1 week out

Started by Focker out!
Views: 953 Posts: 3

2006-10-19 4:06 PM chris hughes

Taper 4 sprint as training for 1/2 IM

Started by millarg
Views: 508 Posts: 3

2006-01-05 3:06 PM Daremo

Any suggestions for tapering for 8/1 Half IM

Started by glf33
Views: 486 Posts: 3

2004-07-23 12:09 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 27, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
You may find your taper plan changing from week to week, based on how your body responds to the actual taper.

date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?