Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 04m 25s
Overall Rank = 166/190
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 10/13
Pre-race routine:

Ken and I took the RV up on Friday and camped at Little Wolf Campgrounds. Got there around 5 after getting registered and body marked. Had a few beers and Ken made and awesome pasta dinner. To be around ten and up at 6ish for coffee and bagel. Thanks Ken
Event warmup:

We rode the bike and gear to Transition about 2 miles with a few hills. Set up and suited up. Went for a swim.
Swim
  • 33m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started right and it was chaos after we started. Lots of bumping and pushing. Didn't straighten out until 3/4 of the way through. There was one girl I was ready to drown. We weren't even close to the buoy line yet she kept pushing out and seem to make her personal mission to bug me. I soon left her as she and others seem to tire out and I could some free water. Hard sighting with the sun in your eyes but did OK.
What would you do differently?:

Start out left.
Transition 1
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

Hit the porta potty on the way to T1. Think I left my goggles in it. Damn 60 dollar goggles. Gotta write the race director. Did well getting suit off and shirt on. Sunscreen and turn bike computer on.

Not forget my goggles.
Bike
  • 3h 23m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Well must have been paced but at least 75 carbon fibers with disc wheels. The whole ride kept reminding myself to stay at your pace. took bottle of water at every stop. At the turn around took a leak. No goggles in that porta potty and didn't leave my helmet either. There are a couple spots on the course you could swear are downhill but pedal like it is uphill. Kept looking to see if I jarred my brake at the stop. Took a few Gu;s here and there. You had to watch the rod a little as there were some long crack but nothing to serious. Few guys with flats. Played leap frog with a Canadian aye. Slid home well and was glad to standing up. Not much talk out there.
Transition 2
  • 07m 56s
Comments:

Took my time, got my running shorts under a towel. Took a quick leak and didn't remember to pick up my goggles.

Pick up my goggles.
Run
  • 2h 56m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Run/walk with a lass from Penfield. Turns out she worked at Highland Hosp and knew my wife and yada yada. I would run, and she would walk and i would and pass her on the run then she would catch when we were walking. Man she had a long stride. I tried staying with her on the walks and that was a good deal of effort. Took water at rest stop drank some and poured some on me. At one stop the lady was having a great deal of fun pouring it on us. Sprinklers here and there.. It was hot in the sun and not much breeze. Mile 8 last Penfield as I was slowing way down. Took some ice at 8.5 miles under the hat. That helped some and I just set marks up ahead a would pitifully run to them. I was making it. Some where around 10 miles the reststop handed be a tall glass of ice water and it tasted and went down so smooth. Mistake. Took about 1 to get that settled down and once thought of just ralphing it get rid of that feeling.
About mile 12 I was cooked but Mike said you can do anything for a mile so kept plugging along. Got a little help for Sandy and Dave, swimmer at Kershaw, to finish up. Ken met me at the finish line and I had enough energy to photo bomb Sandy's picture Dave was taking. I was cook stick a fork in me I would feel better.

Train more than a 7 mile run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked straight to the beer tent which surprisingly wasn't to bad. The nice ladies gave a wet rag for my face and beer. Sweet sweet ladies. Drank a little then needed to move so packed up transition and didn't get my goggles. Stood in chicken dinner line. Little confused if it was a smoke house putting it on where was the pork. That didn't go so well and threw most of it out. Little a water and Gatorade. It was starting to feel like I would live. I think I was still a little warm and was ready for a shower. TO the RV where Ken did his best not to threw me threw the shower door as we headed home at 55 on winding roads. Haven't taken a shower that rough since college drunk days. After about two hours, a shower and a Nuun drink I was feeling better and we were making time on the way home. Had a pulled pork sandwich and a cookie and was starting to feel more human.

Event comments:

Course was too hard d/t to lack of training.

Last updated: 2014-02-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:12 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/190
Performance: Good
Suit: Full xterra
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:23:12 | 56 miles | 16.54 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Out and back on good size rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:56:09 | 13.1 miles | 13m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: round and round and up and down.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-03 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: TOUGHMAN Tupper Lake Tinman

2014-07-04 5:45 AM
in reply to: #5021428

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: TOUGHMAN Tupper Lake Tinman

Great race and it was a great weekend of fun and a some tri racing.  I forgot how winding the road is for the first 20 miles, should have waited I guess.

Sorry about the goggles!

2014-07-04 4:08 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: TOUGHMAN Tupper Lake Tinman

Good race in the undertrained state.

Losing expensive goggles is no fun.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TOUGHMAN Tupper Lake Tinman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - 1/2 Tinman

Started by Kam32
Views: 3324 Posts: 6

2007-07-08 9:19 PM Ridgelake

Tupper Lake Tinman Half

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 1702 Posts: 13

2005-06-30 5:00 AM Laerka

Tupper Lake Tinman

Started by BigDave
Views: 1265 Posts: 7

2005-07-08 11:30 PM cadreamer

Tupper Lake Tinman Half

Started by jerry
Views: 1420 Posts: 8

2005-06-27 11:34 AM dontracy

Tupper Lake Tinman

Started by [email protected]
Views: 1089 Posts: 2

2004-08-26 7:16 PM ihafij
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.