General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best (mens) saddle for tri-bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-04 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Subject: Best (mens) saddle for tri-bike
Hi

I'm meeting up with my LBS to configure my new bike, I've ridden a normal road bike till now, and have decided to get a tri bike. Given the different riding position would you choose a different saddle, like one of those designed for women?

I'm used to a prologo saddle on my road bike.

Thanks.

2014-07-04 4:00 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Subject: RE: Best (mens) saddle for tri-bike

I have and am a fan of the Adamo Race II. 

It's really an individual thing but that's what works for me and if you look around a lot of others too.

2014-07-04 8:45 PM

I had to get a triathlon saddle (Cobb) for my triathlon bike. The different position used on the triathlon bike did not work with my previous saddle. You may be going thru an extended period of trial and error in your search to find what works. Keep all documents from the various items your purchase.
2014-07-04 10:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I don't get these threads.....seriously.  Five of us in my family ride bikes.....and we currently have 9 bikes between us.(we own road, tri, and mtb between us)  We are 2 males and 3 females.  We have NEVER switched a single saddle on any bike we have ever owned.  Some took longer than others to get used to, but we've never changed.  One other thing.....NONE of us use any type of "butter" or other lubricant.  As my grandpa used to say....."ya'll must be built cheap". LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-04 10:26 PM
2014-07-05 6:39 AM
in reply to: #5021628

User image

Regular
Kansas
I have an Adamo on mine, took a little to get used to, but it's nice. It's your butt on it, so if you're putting the time in it, make sure you like it.
2014-07-05 7:45 AM
in reply to: jayhawk_sean

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
No reason to change a saddle until you have found it just isn't going to work for you. Try out the saddle it comes with for 3-4 weeks before changing anything. You might save yourself some money.

2014-07-05 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Saddles are very personal.  What works for me may not work for you and so on.

I have tried probably a dozen saddles in the last 3-4 years in an attempt to find saddle Nirvana.

My top three:

1. Specialized Sitero (awesome saddle for me anyway)

2. Cobb V-Flow Max

3. ISM Adamo Race

I use a Specialized Romin Evo on my road bike.  Great on the road bike, feels like sh*t on a tri bike.

2014-07-05 2:35 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Left Brain

I don't get these threads.....seriously.  Five of us in my family ride bikes.....and we currently have 9 bikes between us.(we own road, tri, and mtb between us)  We are 2 males and 3 females.  We have NEVER switched a single saddle on any bike we have ever owned.  Some took longer than others to get used to, but we've never changed.  One other thing.....NONE of us use any type of "butter" or other lubricant.  As my grandpa used to say....."ya'll must be built cheap". LOL

On my road bike I've had several different saddles and it seems like I can use just about anything without issues.  Tri bike is another story - the stock saddle was ok but for rides of 2+ hours it got pretty uncomfortable.  I use a Cobb Vflow Plus and can ride it for a long time without issues.  I've tried my wife's Adamo Road and can last for about 4 seconds.

My wife tried getting used to the stock saddle on her road bike for a long time and never got there.  Switching to another style was almost instant relief for her.  One thing that we discovered with her Adamo (on her tri bike) was that very small changes in position could make a huge difference.  She was having a lot of discomfort with it at one point and I changed the angle on it slightly (probably less than 1 degree up) and it completely resolved the issue.  It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people's discomfort could be resolved by making small adjustments to the saddle setup rather than replacing it completely.

2014-07-05 4:05 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

New user
Small adjustments, up or down, forward or aft, and side to side can make a huge difference. Millimeters can make a difference in comfort and power.

I think most people try to get too low and too aero based on their own capabilities, flexibility and core strength. Maybe all the way to the point where it is uncomfortable in the saddle, or the saddle being incorrectly configured for their position.

An example is a perfectly fit road bike set up for a road position for an intermediate rider. Slap on some aero bars and it extends the rider forward causing the rider to ride forward in the saddle and the nose applying pressure to "that area" That or the rider is reaching really far forward and elbows are bent way beyond 90 degrees

2014-07-05 4:31 PM
in reply to: jayhawk_sean

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Used the stock saddle but was never comfortable on long ride. Tried several saddles with no improvement until I tried the Cobb V-Flow Max. Love it and felt the differance right away.
2014-07-05 5:46 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

I have tried probably a dozen saddles in the last 3-4 years in an attempt to find saddle Nirvana.

My top three:

2. Cobb V-Flow Max

3. ISM Adamo Race

I use a Specialized Romin Evo on my road bike.  Great on the road bike, feels like sh*t on a tri bike.

Saddles are very personal, I ride a Romin Evo on my tri bike and love it. Hopefully your LBS will let you try different saddles and at least get an idea of what feels good and what doesn't. I know specialized has a 30 day trial period

2014-07-05 7:39 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

On my road bike I've had several different saddles and it seems like I can use just about anything without issues.  Tri bike is another story - the stock saddle was ok but for rides of 2+ hours it got pretty uncomfortable.  I use a Cobb Vflow Plus and can ride it for a long time without issues.  I've tried my wife's Adamo Road and can last for about 4 seconds.

My wife tried getting used to the stock saddle on her road bike for a long time and never got there.  Switching to another style was almost instant relief for her.  One thing that we discovered with her Adamo (on her tri bike) was that very small changes in position could make a huge difference.  She was having a lot of discomfort with it at one point and I changed the angle on it slightly (probably less than 1 degree up) and it completely resolved the issue.  It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people's discomfort could be resolved by making small adjustments to the saddle setup rather than replacing it completely.

Similar here. When I didn't used to ride so much it wasn't really as much of an issue. Just used what came with the bike. Now I'm riding more, both longer and more often. I can still get by with a lot of different saddles for short rides, but I hardly do such rides anymore.

2014-07-05 7:41 PM
in reply to: trifish2

Master
, California

Originally posted by trifish2
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

My top three:

2. Cobb V-Flow Max

3. ISM Adamo Race

Saddles are very personal, I ride a Romin Evo on my tri bike and love it. Hopefully your LBS will let you try different saddles and at least get an idea of what feels good and what doesn't. I know specialized has a 30 day trial period

^^^ this.

I tried about 10 different saddles at my LBS and spun on the trainer a few minutes each.  It didn't completely make my choice for me, but there were certain saddles I knew I would *never* ride on.  It's a good way to narrow down your selection.

2014-07-07 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Thanks for all the advice here, they have prefitted the bike with an Adamo saddle. I'll get the bike tomorrow and look forward to try it first on the trainer to get used to the new cockpit, then on the road.
2014-07-07 1:34 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Pretty much the same here. The only saddle that I ever changed out was on my old road bike when the cover started to come off. I figure that either the saddle will conform with my butt or my butt will conform with the saddle.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best (mens) saddle for tri-bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Finding a Better Bike Saddle

Started by NCmtnborn76
Views: 1529 Posts: 15

2014-01-10 8:05 AM JMMauldwin

Women's bikes vs Mens bikes

Started by 50andgettingfit
Views: 7088 Posts: 11

2010-11-17 12:16 PM GLC1968

Good fortune -- borrowing a better bike for first tri

Started by Bruenor
Views: 1875 Posts: 14

2010-08-08 5:06 PM Bruenor

Bikes-best areas to upgrade for first tri bike

Started by SSMinnow
Views: 1121 Posts: 3

2008-12-30 8:43 PM Oldteen

Hey Minneapolis--Need to know a good Tri-Bike Shop-Lifetime Fitness Tri

Started by ladavidson
Views: 815 Posts: 3

2005-04-12 9:41 AM kelpeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : March 13, 2009
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.
date : March 5, 2006
author : chrisandniki
BT'ers vote on all of their favorite products, sites and people. See results for the sports of swim, bike, run and triathlon.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.