General Discussion Triathlon Talk » one reason I get nervous around fishermen when swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-05 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: one reason I get nervous around fishermen when swimming
I don't really want to call this a shark attack, but a shark and a swimmer did have an encounter. The shark came away in better shape than the swimmer, but he is (mostly) OK as well...

This happened right at my local Sunday morning swim spot. I wasn't planning on swimming tomorrow anyway for other reasons. But I'm planning to go back next week.

http://www.digmb.com/2014/07/05/43288/hooked-shark-bites-swimmer-ne...

2014-07-05 4:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: one reason I get nervous around fishermen when swimming

Really? Great whites near Manhattan? I guess I don't know much about marine wildlife in the NYC area, but I just assumed there weren't sharks like that around there.

Edited by trijamie 2014-07-05 4:41 PM
2014-07-05 4:48 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Originally posted by trijamie

Really? Great whites near Manhattan? I guess I don't know much about marine wildlife in the NYC area, but I just assumed there weren't sharks like that around there.

There is more to the world than New York. Hard as that is to believe
2014-07-05 4:57 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by trijamie

There is more to the world than New York. Hard as that is to believe

Hahaha, Ok now I see my mistake!

2014-07-05 7:16 PM
in reply to: JamieS

User image

I agree it wasn't an attack, just a swimmer in the wrong place at the wrong time, caused by illegal fishing. I'll be out Tuesday morning
2014-07-05 8:27 PM

User image

Stupid fisherman has apparently done this before. He actually chums the water to attract juvenile sharks. Guess he wants to make the news. Hopefully, he will get fined for this stunt. Normally these little guys do not harm anybody.

2014-07-05 11:11 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Originally posted by StevenCStupid fisherman has apparently done this before. He actually chums the water to attract juvenile sharks. Guess he wants to make the news. Hopefully, he will get fined for this stunt. Normally these little guys do not harm anybody.
And stupid enough to post a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESzXLQhMMlo&feature=youtube_gdata_pl... graphic but disturbing.
2014-07-06 8:57 AM

New user
Key West
Many, if not most, of the shark bites/attacks with humans, at least around Florida involve fishermen chuming the waters. There are certainly excepts, but if I see someone fishing, especially chuming, I won't be swimming there. Great whites are just about everwhere now. Shockingly I recently found out they have been seen around the Keys where I left. It wasn't like we didn't already have enough shark varieties down here, now the King of sharks. Even had some Orca's spotted this last spring.
2014-07-06 10:43 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by StevenCStupid fisherman has apparently done this before. He actually chums the water to attract juvenile sharks. Guess he wants to make the news. Hopefully, he will get fined for this stunt. Normally these little guys do not harm anybody.
And stupid enough to post a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESzXLQhMMlo&feature=youtube_gdat... graphic but disturbing.

Pretty much the type of people I deal with all day long......glad to see they have dispersed to all corners of the country.  Geez, what a bunch of idiots.

2014-07-06 11:04 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Left Brain

And stupid enough to post a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESzXLQhMMlo&feature=youtube_gdata_pl... graphic but disturbing.

Pretty much the type of people I deal with all day long......glad to see they have dispersed to all corners of the country.  Geez, what a bunch of idiots.

Yeah! It's never cool to laugh when there's swimmers around near a shark like that. What pure dumbasses!
2014-07-06 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Now I know what somebody sounds like when they have been bitten by a shark.  Definitely makes me content to swim in my own pool.  No great white sharks, and no morons chumming for them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » one reason I get nervous around fishermen when swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Getting my head around swimming

Started by mathsgeek
Views: 903 Posts: 10

2009-10-27 6:27 PM mathsgeek

Getting nervous for first ocean swim-- any tips?

Started by lisareichmann
Views: 2759 Posts: 21

2009-03-30 12:05 PM TriRSquared

I am getting nervous - .5 mile OW swim in 7 weeks

Started by mgmoore7
Views: 3307 Posts: 12

2008-02-19 5:29 PM cadreamer

Getting nervous about swimming

Started by EABonney
Views: 1045 Posts: 13

2007-05-22 9:29 PM deutsch

Getting very nervous and anxious