General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Squeaky Something On Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-06 7:33 AM

User image

Subject: Squeaky Something On Bike
I was wondering if any mechanics could help me out!

The last 3x I've rode my bike outdoors I've heard an intermittent squeaky sound. I tend to hear it more often going downhill. Sometimes I won't hear it until I'm a good hour into my ride and then I hear it intermittently.

At first I thought it was my break pads slightly rubbing on the tire rim...but alas there is a sliver of daylight so it's not that. Chain is clean and well lubed (though the sound doesn't should like it's coming from the drive train).

Anyone have an idea of what this could be. Is it the sign of a more serious problem?

Thanks in advance!!!

2014-07-06 12:55 PM
in reply to: ginger1981

User image

Subject: RE: Squeaky Something On Bike
Probably not much help, but I had a squeak whenever I got out of the saddle. Drove me nuts until I looked at my rear tire and noticed it was getting some wear on the side - logos were wearing off. Figured out that the wheel was a little out of true, and the tire was rubbing the seat stay when I was out of the saddle.
2014-07-06 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I love to play 21 questions!

1.) Is the squeaking in sync with the anything such as wheel revolution, pedaling, or cracks between road section?

20 question to go.
2014-07-06 1:50 PM
in reply to: #5021956

User image

Haha it seems to go in revolution with pedaling. On my ride today the first 20 mins were squeaky, and then it went away the rest of the ride. I thought perhaps my front tire was slightly loose in the drops so I removed and tightened...super squeaky then went away

Seriously there should be a Web MD version for cycles!

2014-07-06 1:51 PM
in reply to: #5022054

User image

I'll check out the stays too, thanks!!!
2014-07-06 2:29 PM
in reply to: #5022055

User image

I just went through and did a check on my bike to see if all the bolts were tight and where the saddle connects to the seat post was a bit loose. We will see if the squeak continues on my next ride. Thanks all!

2014-07-06 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Tightening the skewer might not be the end-all solution to the squeak. I had a squeaky wheel problem just like yours, and the surprising thing was the wheel squeaked when I pedaled, but not when I coasted. The frame transferred forces from my shifting weight to the front wheel during each pedal stroke. The manufacturer suggested applying grease along the full length of the skewer. NOW it's quiet.
2014-07-07 4:03 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

I called the bike shop I purchased my bike from today and I think you are saying close to the same thing they were saying. I have a Felt bike, and apparently this is a pretty common issue with Felts. Apparently there is a rubber thing that sits next to the hub that causes the squeaky sound when dirt builds up in there. He recommended I clean and lube and the problem should be solved!

Thanks again all :-)
2014-07-07 6:05 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Lube is your friend!

I used to get a squeaking every once in a while when I pushed with my left foot.  I still don't know if it was a peddle or crank.  I just clean and spray lube all the moving parts and it goes away...

2014-07-13 8:45 AM

User image

Update: So I cleaned around the rear hub really good, and lubed all the moving parts and the squeak is gone! And my sanity is restored.

Thanks all!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Squeaky Something On Bike Rss Feed