General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Wisconsin noob... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-06 1:29 PM

Subject: Wisconsin noob...
Hello all, I've been a lurker here for some time and figured it was time to introduce myself. I'm a noob in La Crosse, WI, haven't done a tri yet but I'm planning on entering one soon. There is a couple in my area in late July and early August that I would like to do. I have to be a little non-committal this time of year though in case I get called out west for wildfire suppression so we shall see.

2014-07-06 10:22 PM
in reply to: martindc1

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Wisconsin noob...

Welcome to BT!  What is your background in getting into the sport?  I hear you on the wildfires...we've had a few small ones where I am at.  I hope it works out for you this year.

2014-07-11 2:01 PM
in reply to: Ron

Good questions, I guess I could have described myself a little better in my initial post. Anyhow, I grew up in a rural Ohio town and we didn't have much opportunity for formal swim lessons, so most of us learned to swim at a nearby city pool. So I was never much of a swimmer. Growing up watching the Iron Man World Championships I would always thing that a tri would be a neat thing to do if I wasn't a terrible swimmer. So about a year and a half ago, at the age of 30, I decided I'd had enough and took a swimming lessons at the local YMCA. Now I am swimming 3 days a week, I'm not very fast but I'm getting better.

This past fall I was having neck troubles and found out that I have a herniated disc. After resting trying to rest it for a couple months I decided it was time to get back into the pool and to my surprise, my neck started to get much better. Around the beginning of each June, our local YMCA puts on a triathlon. I would have entered this year but I wasn't quite ready yet after having my training sidetracked by the neck. However, my training is going very well now, and I'd say I'm probably in as good of shape as I've ever been.
2014-07-11 5:48 PM

, Wisconsin
Hey, I live in Onalaska and did the YMCA tri at Lake Neshonoc in June. My first tri in 26 years. . . . had done 13 in a two year period when I was about your age. I'm doing the one in Viroqua next Saturday and already looking for another in the Mid-August - Sept range. PM me if you want and maybe we can go for a bike ride sometime.
2014-07-11 9:04 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

Cool, sounds good. I am looking at doing either the Castle Rock tri July 26 or the one in Prairie du Chien on August 2. I'd like to do the one in PdC for sure but am going to hold off on registering for now until I see how fire season plays out. Also there is one in Baraboo around September 14.
2014-07-12 8:33 AM

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by martindc1

Cool, sounds good. I am looking at doing either the Castle Rock tri July 26 or the one in Prairie du Chien on August 2. I'd like to do the one in PdC for sure but am going to hold off on registering for now until I see how fire season plays out. Also there is one in Baraboo around September 14.

Both the Castle Rock and the Praire races looked good to me but I'd already committed to an airplane race on July 26-27. So I decided on the Viroqua race next Sat and thinking of one more after that. I'm considering the Baraboo race myself.

2014-07-25 3:05 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Castle Rock is a nice race, there can be some pretty choppy water though.
Baraboo has a hillier bike course,

For next year, the Trinona in Winona, MN is a great race with a sprint and Olympic distance.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Wisconsin noob... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Another Noob from Wisconsin

Started by jasonbohn9
Views: 880 Posts: 14

2007-09-13 9:00 PM BbMoozer

Noob from Sacramento!

Started by VoB916
Views: 631 Posts: 2

2005-07-13 7:49 PM ellismichael

noob in Texas

Started by rdbkr99999
Views: 961 Posts: 17

2005-03-25 7:02 AM Christie

Noob in TX

Started by jaredog
Views: 804 Posts: 7

2005-03-11 11:53 AM COgirl

HI, NOOB FROM CASTRO VALLEY CALIFORNIA

Started by breggurns
Views: 500 Posts: 3

2004-11-14 11:54 AM cadreamer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I'm a fairly good climber but don't want to blow up on the run. I'm 60 and have a FTP of 230 watts. Any suggestions?

date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.
date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.

date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?
date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.

date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.