Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Who had the over/under on Manziel being the next Ryan Leaf? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2016-01-04 10:42 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Who had the over/under on Manziel being the next Ryan Leaf?
And now he skips the last game fo the year to go to Vegas.

Nothing says "I quit" like blowing off your team.

For some reason as a kid I rooted for the Browns when all around me were Bengals fans. That might have been a less painful route (although still painful).

2016-01-04 12:33 PM
in reply to: Hugh in TX

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by Hugh in TX And now he skips the last game fo the year to go to Vegas. Nothing says "I quit" like blowing off your team. For some reason as a kid I rooted for the Browns when all around me were Bengals fans. That might have been a less painful route (although still painful).

That kid has a major problem and only he can solve it.  He has the $ so he won't care about anything as long as he is having a good time. 

It is like watching a slow motion train wreck.  I'm really hoping he won't go to Dallas.  Jerry Jones already makes it virtually impossible for me to follow the team I grew up watching.  He does this and I'm done. 

2016-01-05 1:39 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by Hugh in TX And now he skips the last game fo the year to go to Vegas. Nothing says "I quit" like blowing off your team. For some reason as a kid I rooted for the Browns when all around me were Bengals fans. That might have been a less painful route (although still painful).

That kid has a major problem and only he can solve it.  He has the $ so he won't care about anything as long as he is having a good time. 

It is like watching a slow motion train wreck.  I'm really hoping he won't go to Dallas.  Jerry Jones already makes it virtually impossible for me to follow the team I grew up watching.  He does this and I'm done. 

If he wants to go to Dallas, I will personally pick him up and drive him to the airport. #giantsfan

It makes one wonder how he was so successful in college. Obviously, the NFL is a huge step up, but it's not like you can get hammered every night and still perform effectively at that level in the NCAA, no matter how talented you are. Either he had someone watching him all the time, or the level of play really is that much lower.
2016-01-13 9:03 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Originally posted by crowny2

If he wants to go to Dallas, I will personally pick him up and drive him to the airport. #giantsfan

It makes one wonder how he was so successful in college. Obviously, the NFL is a huge step up, but it's not like you can get hammered every night and still perform effectively at that level in the NCAA, no matter how talented you are. Either he had someone watching him all the time, or the level of play really is that much lower.

To your last point, I'll go with the latter.
It's really apples and oranges. The game is very different.
The college football field is wider. The passer's room for error is far greater. (and it doesn't hurt having a freak like Mike Evans to throw to)
The wider field also affords him the opportunity to run more freely.
The college athletes on average are slower and weaker.
To be a great (heck, even good) pro, you need to be able to hit a very small window and make the decision to do so extremely fast.

We'll likely never know if he could have been anything.

Basically, he's just a stupid, spoiled punk.

2016-01-31 7:37 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

Master
, California

but it's not like you can get hammered every night and still perform effectively at that level in the NCAA, no matter how talented you are

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) -- these top football recruits get so shielded from having to do any real schoolwork, they CAN go get hammered all the time, sleep most of the day till practice, and go on with their sports life in the afternoon.

2016-02-02 11:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion

2016-02-02 1:50 PM

User image

I can't read the ESPN story here at work, but heard this on ESPN radio over the weekend.  The radio host thought this was entirely fabricated by Manziel to get himself out of Cleveland so he can sign elsewhere as a free agent.  When you think it through though...it kind of makes sense and is pretty clever on his part.

1.  I don't ever think Manziel wanted to go to Cleveland other than it was one of the few spots he had a chance to start right away.  Cleveland as a city is probably one of the worst places to play as far as Manziel is concerned due to his lifestyle.  Cleveland as a franchise in general doesn't seem to have a lot of upside either.

2.  Manziel signed a 4 year $8.3 million rookie contract.  $7.9 million is guaranteed and he's got 2 years left.  If Manziel is indeed cut, and signs another free agent contract even as a backup...he'll likely command somewhere around $2-3 million, if not more, per year as part of a 2 year deal, the second year being a team option.  Basically the going rate for any other journeyman backup that every team signs 2 of.  So he still makes more money with this move, and likely goes to a franchise that wants him more than the Browns.  And just to be clear...while I do think Manziel is a joke, you can't ignore the fact that he's at least a half decent option as a back up.  Certainly on par or better than.....

3.  ...Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel.  The major rumor being spread by this radio host was that the whole ploy was to get out of Cleveland and go to Dallas.  Johnny is from Texas.  He played his best football at Texas A&M.  Texas is a bigger spotlight for his personality, and Jerry Jones loves him.  Add in the fact that not only is Romo aging...he's also been injury prone the last several seasons.  

I still say Manziel will flop.  But the jokes not over yet.

2016-02-05 8:19 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Jason N

I can't read the ESPN story here at work, but heard this on ESPN radio over the weekend.  The radio host thought this was entirely fabricated by Manziel to get himself out of Cleveland so he can sign elsewhere as a free agent.  When you think it through though...it kind of makes sense and is pretty clever on his part.

1.  I don't ever think Manziel wanted to go to Cleveland other than it was one of the few spots he had a chance to start right away.  Cleveland as a city is probably one of the worst places to play as far as Manziel is concerned due to his lifestyle.  Cleveland as a franchise in general doesn't seem to have a lot of upside either.

2.  Manziel signed a 4 year $8.3 million rookie contract.  $7.9 million is guaranteed and he's got 2 years left.  If Manziel is indeed cut, and signs another free agent contract even as a backup...he'll likely command somewhere around $2-3 million, if not more, per year as part of a 2 year deal, the second year being a team option.  Basically the going rate for any other journeyman backup that every team signs 2 of.  So he still makes more money with this move, and likely goes to a franchise that wants him more than the Browns.  And just to be clear...while I do think Manziel is a joke, you can't ignore the fact that he's at least a half decent option as a back up.  Certainly on par or better than.....

3.  ...Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel.  The major rumor being spread by this radio host was that the whole ploy was to get out of Cleveland and go to Dallas.  Johnny is from Texas.  He played his best football at Texas A&M.  Texas is a bigger spotlight for his personality, and Jerry Jones loves him.  Add in the fact that not only is Romo aging...he's also been injury prone the last several seasons.  

I still say Manziel will flop.  But the jokes not over yet.

I like your thoughts on this...but I think you can pare down the expected value of a new contract.
If most of the hub-bub around him for the last year is just a ploy, I believe he may have over-played the ploy, and it is going to cost him guaranteed money moving forward.

2016-02-05 11:50 AM

User image

Champion
2016-02-11 6:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy I like your thoughts on this...but I think you can pare down the expected value of a new contract. If most of the hub-bub around him for the last year is just a ploy, I believe he may have over-played the ploy, and it is going to cost him guaranteed money moving forward.

Well...seems like it wasn't a ploy.  Just a guy that's got some real issues.  Fame and glory isn't for everyone I suppose...he's got bigger issues than football to deal with it appears.

2016-02-13 6:21 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy I like your thoughts on this...but I think you can pare down the expected value of a new contract. If most of the hub-bub around him for the last year is just a ploy, I believe he may have over-played the ploy, and it is going to cost him guaranteed money moving forward.

Well...seems like it wasn't a ploy.  Just a guy that's got some real issues.  Fame and glory isn't for everyone I suppose...he's got bigger issues than football to deal with it appears.

Yup. And just like that, his career went poof.
Hopefully he can get his life together off the field...because the on the field portion is finished.

2016-03-16 4:03 PM

User image

Champion

Interesting article.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/15/johnny-manziel-nfl-cleveland-browns

Doesn't change my view of him but an interesting explanation of how he got to the point he is.

2016-03-26 9:36 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I predict Dallas picks him up and he leads them to the SB. Furthering the hate for "America's team."

Buahahaahaahaahahha
2016-03-26 3:02 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by mdg2003

I predict Dallas picks him up and he leads them to the SB. Furthering the hate for "America's team."

Buahahaahaahaahahha

The first time I read your post I missed the end of it. I assume you were being sarcastic.

I am an Aggie who grew up in Ohio and have been a lifelong Clowns, er, Browns fan. His style just does not translate to the NFL. His work ethic does not translate either. Before the draft he spent time being coached up and training to improve his spot in the draft. Sounded like he wanted to succeed. It is almost like a number of Millennials I have met - once I get the job I can coast.

To be fair, I do know Millennials who want to work to get ahead.

JFF had the natural talent to be good at the college level. Unfortunately as has been proven time and again, that does not necessarily translate to the NFL. How many Heisman winning QBs have succeeded at the top level? Not many.

2016-03-26 4:52 PM
in reply to: Hugh in TX

User image

Pro

If you were at the park picking sides for a game you would pick Johnny Football first......and win every time.  If you are a professional football club that requires it's QB to learn a large play book and be able to execute within that framework you will never win with Manziel.  I think college falls somewhere in the middle of that as there is plenty of room to improvise and just play.....and the boy can play for sure.

By all accounts Manziel is a great guy to have as a teammate, and I don't doubt it......but he's never going to be an NFL QB.

2016-03-27 7:37 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Left Brain

I>By all accounts Manziel is a great guy to have as a teammate, and I don't doubt it......but he's never going to be an NFL QB.

Not even with rehab and heel lifts?

2016-04-14 12:52 PM

User image

Champion

Good lord.  This thing just continues to grow. 

How bad do you have to be for Drew Rosenhaus threaten to drop you.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/agent-drew-rosenhaus--johnny-manziel-gets-treatment-or-i-dump-him-233853439.html

2016-04-15 8:00 PM

User image

I think his dad might be right...he might not see his 24th birthday without serious help.  This is getting to the point where he's beyond a joke.  It's downright sad to see someone do this to themselves.  I'm pretty sure he knows what is right and wrong...but he's so messed up in the head that he's choosing the downward spiral.

On another note...who the heck rents out their $4.5 million house to Johnny Manziel after all that has gone on with him.  What did you expect would happen?  He was going to stay there with his parents and have a nice BBQ?  They should feel lucky they didn't burn the whole place down.

2016-04-19 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

There are rumors that the Broncos have spoken with him. Scary. Of course they are talking to Kaepernick too.

2016-04-19 2:30 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

There are rumors that the Broncos have spoken with him. Scary. Of course they are talking to Kaepernick too.

Don't worry, those rumors are just that. No way he ends up in the NFL next season.

2016-04-27 9:06 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion

2016-04-27 12:52 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I know very little about this guy so I did a quick Google on him. I assumed he was raised dirt poor somewhere in east Texas and was enjoying having access to money for the first time in his life. Seems his family is pretty well off and he's not a rags to riches success story coming out of some run down trailer park. Maybe his family didn't give spoil him and give him everything he wanted growing up? Illegal drugs and alcohol are definitely in charge and making his decisions for him. Whether he ever plays football again is irrelevant right now. I hope this kid gets his a$$ into an AA/NA meeting before he kills himself or someone else.
2016-04-27 12:55 PM

User image

Pro

His parents should be charged.

2016-04-27 1:01 PM

User image

Champion

2016-04-27 2:42 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

I see what you did there.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Who had the over/under on Manziel being the next Ryan Leaf? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

I am over having long hair Pages: 1 2

Started by Chuckhead
Views: 5515 Posts: 35

2012-02-01 3:09 PM mgalanter

I am having

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 1523 Posts: 12

2011-10-06 7:29 PM jsmoon

Can Ryan Adams get a DUI while having sex with Brian Adams?

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 764 Posts: 9

2007-10-19 12:45 AM bootygirl

I am not having fun. Pages: 1 2

Started by Spokes
Views: 2599 Posts: 29

2007-09-18 11:49 PM AdventureBear

Basso leaves CSC, Bruyneel's gotta be salivatin'...

Started by Spokes
Views: 722 Posts: 4

2006-10-23 11:38 AM Mike 45
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 1, 2011
author : Competitor.com
comments : 0
Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com

date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.