General Discussion Triathlon Talk » This weekend's lesson Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-07 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: This weekend's lesson

Raced my first super sprint this weekend. Definitely not my first tri but my first race shorter than an Olympic and much shorter at a 250 yard swim, 9.8 mile bike and 2 mile run. I knew going into it it would be an "all out, all the time" effort but what I didn't know or anticipate was how the legs would wake up on the run after seemingly feeling so absolutely crushed. 

I've ran off the bike lots leading up to races but usually it's been more focused around HIM pacing, never a full all out effort. Quarter a mile into this sprint run I thought I truly was going to blow up at the 3/4 mile mark so I backed down just a touch. Then as I hit the turnaround at the mile point I was amazed at how fresh and lively my legs suddenly felt and I was able to crank it back up. Had I just kept the gas pedal floored on that run it would have come back around. As a result it ended up costing me 2nd OA (missed by three seconds) and perhaps a much closer duel for the OA win. 

Tl;dr- floor it and keep it floored, even when you think you won't be able to sustain it. 

2014-07-07 12:11 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: This weekend's lesson

Originally posted by thebigb

Raced my first super sprint this weekend. Definitely not my first tri but my first race shorter than an Olympic and much shorter at a 250 yard swim, 9.8 mile bike and 2 mile run. I knew going into it it would be an "all out, all the time" effort but what I didn't know or anticipate was how the legs would wake up on the run after seemingly feeling so absolutely crushed. 

I've ran off the bike lots leading up to races but usually it's been more focused around HIM pacing, never a full all out effort. Quarter a mile into this sprint run I thought I truly was going to blow up at the 3/4 mile mark so I backed down just a touch. Then as I hit the turnaround at the mile point I was amazed at how fresh and lively my legs suddenly felt and I was able to crank it back up. Had I just kept the gas pedal floored on that run it would have come back around. As a result it ended up costing me 2nd OA (missed by three seconds) and perhaps a much closer duel for the OA win. 

Tl;dr- floor it and keep it floored, even when you think you won't be able to sustain it. 

Keep it up....you'll see huge drops in your Oly time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » This weekend's lesson Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

a wonderful lesson learned this weekend.....

Started by clgswisher
Views: 1069 Posts: 9

2012-08-05 10:37 PM briderdt

Lessons from the Sporting World on Pre-Race Anxiety: This Past Weekend.

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 703 Posts: 7

2011-04-18 3:16 PM briderdt

For this weekend's Columbia Triathletes

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 811 Posts: 11

2006-05-19 12:03 AM econway

My lession from this weekend's half marathon!

Started by scott_loong
Views: 695 Posts: 9

2005-05-31 12:22 PM Rollin' Thunder

Pics from this weekend's Sprint

Started by apenton
Views: 426 Posts: 2

2004-08-24 8:46 PM apenton
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Learn how to top off your muscles with energy during your race weekend taper! Carbo-load correctly and alleviate the possibility of GI distress by choosing the correct foods and when to eat them.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Gina76
comments : 2
The completion of my first sprint triathlon! Even though it has been over a year since my first tri, I find myself ready to do two more this year and even two half marathons!

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
The three drills we will be focusing on today are a more “advanced” version of catch-up, which help you with distance per stroke AND keep you rotating from side to side (hip rotation).

date : October 30, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
We are now going to move into “practices” that have a specific technique focus or two, but will contain more physically demanding workouts.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 0
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle