Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Career Change Advice?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-07 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: Career Change Advice??
I am seeking some wisdom and experiences from fellow BT members about a situation I might be facing within the next year. Here is a little backround.

Wife and I are recently married. I work in Law Enforcement, she works in medical research. Both currently live in MD but she is from NJ and I have some family up that way as well. Recently, her job has been getting on her nerves and she is looking for a new one. There are some very good options up in NJ if she can get them but she is also looking local. She is very close to her family where I am not as close and I see my friends more then my family. We had discussed moving to NJ but only as a last resort because for me, its almost impossible to get a job in my field up there (I might have a better chance of getting the plague). Lately, she has been pushing the idea of moving back to NJ more and more and started searching for more jobs up there then down here. I want to be supportive and I told her for the sake of our marriage if we needed to move we would, but I cant help but feel a little upset, angry and worried about my potential job prospects and ability to help provide for us. I love my career and have worked hard to get where I am today and I really do not want to have to give all of that up and start all over again ( I am 30). Besides the obvious of missing my friends and not knowing anyone and fearing that I am too old to make a ton of new, close friends; I am worried that I might have to find a new line of work all together and start from the bottom again. I tried to explain the logical side of things (money, pension, being vested, cost of living, etc) but it seems that the only response I get is "it will work out" and "People do this all the time" While I love my career and have wanted to do it forever, I do wish that I would have gotten my college degree in something a little more versatile.

I am interested in hearing if any fellow BTer's ever gave up their career for a loved one, moved to another state and had to start a new career or just decided to change direction in life and do something different. How has it worked out for you? would you do it again? was it worth it?

If I cannot continue in my current career in NJ, I would really like to become a Physical Therapist of Physical Therapist Assistant. I am very interested in this line of work but again, I would have to go back to school all over again and I would be 33-35y/o by the time I graduated and started looking for a job. Any PT's out there who can attest to the career and if the Large $$ amount for tuition is worth it in the end?

2014-07-07 2:10 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Career Change Advice??

My sister is a PT. She ended up with over $100k in student debt and she makes $55k a year or so. She works with kids so makes less than some PT's, but PT is not a get rich quick kind of career. May be worth looking at typical pay in your area or NJ before committing to student debt.

The other thing that stood out to me in your post is the moving to be closer to family thing. I don't want to sound too negative, but living close to family is not always a good thing. My wife and I often regret not moving away from our families (we are within 40 miles of both sides). In-laws are generally a pain in the rear for most people, moving closer to both sets of in-laws may not be great for either of you. 

Sounds like kind of a big ask on your wife's part to ask you to drop your career and move to a place you don't want to live so she can be closer to her family (your in-laws). My wife and I have talked about picking up and moving, but it would not happen unless both of us were happy with the situation. "It will work out, and people do it all the time" is not finding a workable solution for both parties. 

2014-07-07 2:37 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

First and foremost I think that you need to keep the focus on your family (as in you and your wife) above all else and the secret to that is communication.  If you just move and end up with a career that you don't like or if you guys come into some financial hardship as part of the move (just examples) then it can put a terminal strain on your marriage with a lot of potential bitterness.

You may already be communicating with her, but make sure she knows exactly how you're feeling and what your reservations are.  Often times we as men tie a lot of our self worth into our careers, so if you have that pulled away from you it can be a tough pill to swallow.  You've worked very hard to get where you are, and I don't feel it's right for your wife to discount that and essentially force a career change.

In my family we have moved two times for my career and both times my wife was totally on board with me.  She didn't have an established career yet, so it was a little easier, but we still talked in great detail about it and agreed to it.  So, if things did go south, then there was no person to blame because we both agreed that it was the best decision at the time.

If I were in your shoes I would try to explain how much you enjoy your job and that you would be willing to move, but only if you were able to find a job in law enforcement.  It sounds like it's easier for her to get a job than you, so hopefully you can both work towards a common goal with something like you looking for a job in NJ full time and when you find a job then you can make the move and she'll start looking in her career field.

My wife and I have had several discussions even recently because she hates the winters here in Nebraska and wants to move south to Texas or somewhere like that.  However, I don't want to leave here because we have very deep roots with a lot of friends and I also own a business here that can't exactly just move.  We have come to an agreement that this is our home and perhaps down the road when we retire we can do a winter home down south or something along those lines, so she has something to look forward to and we both kind of win.

These things do have a way of working themselves out, but they can work out both positive and negative.  Get on the same page, and the odds of it working out towards the positive are much greater.  
Good luck and I'm sure you guys will figure out something good.  

2014-07-07 4:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
You got good advice up there.

Just want to add a few cents . I have been working in the medical field for a while and my bro is a DPT. i dont know how far has the changes been in the East coast , but in Texas and Cali PT is a doctoral degree now. You have to have a bachelors with a good GPA to get into a good DPT program its about 4-5 years program after bachelors maybe challenging for a working student. Its doable though just need to persevere and the needs of PT is still very behind. I believe the professionals will never keep up with the demand. Its an expensive degree , but a year of working can pay your student loans fast.

Goodluck on your decision!!!!

Edited by strykergt 2014-07-07 4:10 PM
2014-07-08 9:47 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

I am seeking some wisdom and experiences from fellow BT members about a situation I might be facing within the next year. Here is a little backround.

Wife and I are recently married. I work in Law Enforcement, she works in medical research. Both currently live in MD but she is from NJ and I have some family up that way as well. Recently, her job has been getting on her nerves and she is looking for a new one. There are some very good options up in NJ if she can get them but she is also looking local. She is very close to her family where I am not as close and I see my friends more then my family. We had discussed moving to NJ but only as a last resort because for me, its almost impossible to get a job in my field up there (I might have a better chance of getting the plague). Lately, she has been pushing the idea of moving back to NJ more and more and started searching for more jobs up there then down here. I want to be supportive and I told her for the sake of our marriage if we needed to move we would, but I cant help but feel a little upset, angry and worried about my potential job prospects and ability to help provide for us. I love my career and have worked hard to get where I am today and I really do not want to have to give all of that up and start all over again ( I am 30). Besides the obvious of missing my friends and not knowing anyone and fearing that I am too old to make a ton of new, close friends; I am worried that I might have to find a new line of work all together and start from the bottom again. I tried to explain the logical side of things (money, pension, being vested, cost of living, etc) but it seems that the only response I get is "it will work out" and "People do this all the time" While I love my career and have wanted to do it forever, I do wish that I would have gotten my college degree in something a little more versatile.

I am interested in hearing if any fellow BTer's ever gave up their career for a loved one, moved to another state and had to start a new career or just decided to change direction in life and do something different. How has it worked out for you? would you do it again? was it worth it?

If I cannot continue in my current career in NJ, I would really like to become a Physical Therapist of Physical Therapist Assistant. I am very interested in this line of work but again, I would have to go back to school all over again and I would be 33-35y/o by the time I graduated and started looking for a job. Any PT's out there who can attest to the career and if the Large $$ amount for tuition is worth it in the end?

Unless you can financially afford it- do not let go of the voice of reason. Stay logical. Its not like you want to go looking for an argument but counter the 'it will work out' with what if it doesn't. If you do end up making the move have a good solid plan. I would strongly advise against going with the we'll sort it out when we get there approach.
2014-07-08 1:00 PM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I wouldn't worry so much about the "too old" part. Lots of people make career changes when they're 30; it's not as far along the career path as it probably feels to you that it is.

I also think a big consideration should be, "what part of MD do you live in, and what part of NJ are you moving to?" If you live in Towson, and you're moving to Newark, you're going to be in for a big change. But if you move to, say, Maplewood, it won't seem so different.

If I was in your shoes, my concern would be that your wife is unhappy with her job and wants to move. You are no unhappy in your job and do not want to move. If she changes jobs and you both move to Jersey, and she finds that she doesn't like her new job any more than the old one, you're both in a tough spot.

I would insist that you not go anywhere unless you're certain you can find a new job that you're happy with. Easy for me to say, I know.

2014-07-10 10:28 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Denver, CO

Seems like all the rational explanations aren't convincing her and you're both just talking at each other without hearing what the other really needs.  Not a judgment of your relationship; just an observation that you and she seem to have reached an impasse.  If you feel like you're making a huge sacrifice for her, the potential for resentment down the road can be pretty high.  Even though it's not helpful to think in terms of "I did x for you, now I want you to do y for me," it's really easy to feel that way when you're just doing something to avoid a fight, especially when that something is as big as giving up a career and moving to a new community.

Maybe instead of pointing out all the reasons why you want to and think the two of you should stay where you are, you could ask your wife why she wants to move back to NJ.  When I say that, I mean ask her with genuine curiosity about what she thinks will be better if she was closer to her family.  It may be that she's missing something that she could actually find where you are but she doesn't realize that. 

Not sure if you're open to this but a few sessions with a couples counselor who can be an objective third party could help you and her make a decision that will satisfy both of you.  If you opt to go that route, as someone with training in that field, I highly suggest you find someone who is a licensed marriage and family therapist or who specializes in couples counseling.  There's a different approach when working with couples that not all therapists understand.  Ask around for a few recommendations (or if you don't feel comfortable doing that, PM me and I'll see what info I can dig up for you) and do a couple of interviews to find somebody that both you and your wife feel comfortable with.  Lots of people see a couples counselor for just a few sessions sessions and that's all they need to figure out the solution to their issue.  It doesn't mean the marriage is in trouble, just that a different perspective can be really helpful.

Good luck!!

2014-07-11 8:36 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

You seem to be getting good advice here.  Let me throw out one other idea.  Can you start applying for jobs in Law Enforecement in NJ now.  Why wait until she finds something.  Then if you get something before her, you could just make the jump.  The longer you wait the harder it will be.  Seems like resistance if futile.  Another thing to consider is do you want to start a family?  This goes both ways.  1.  It is nice to have family around when starting a family.  2.  Will your wife still work if you have kids?  If the answer to the second question is no, then moving because she wants a different job is kind of dumb.

2014-07-11 9:29 AM

Veteran
don't worry about going back to school and changing careers, you are never too old if that's what you want, however, it sounds like it is not what you want. I think the problem is, you don't want to go, but you also want her to be happy. in this instance, you have to pick one.

if you really don't care and you will go anywhere, then great, that's the path you are on. but if you do care, and you won't be happy, then tell her, NJ is off the table. I love my career, I have been doing it for X years, I don't want to give it up, and I don't want to change careers. That way she will stop harboring hopes to move while you won't continue to grow your resentment over the whole thing. you married her in MD, you now live in MD, I think she would be understanding, even if initially annoyed, if you said, NJ won't happen. but to let her continue to harbor this hope, is not good for either of you.

perhaps a compromise, if you are inclined, is to say, nearly impossible for me to continue my career that I love there, but if I find a job first, then I am open to moving as my finding a job in my career much more difficult than it is for you (to forestall, why is it about you finding a job first argument). that way, if she really wants to go, she can focus her energies on finding you a job there rather than on growing resentment that you really are not on board with her plan of moving there.

you have to look at the big picture. if you go along plan A right now because she is insistent and you don't want conflict, but then you resent her for "making" you move and give up your career, is that fair to her or good for your marriage, much less your career? love does not conquer all, you have to communicate and be honest or that conquering love goes away.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Career Change Advice?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

career change

Started by syscrash
Views: 1316 Posts: 20

2011-02-01 4:08 PM morey000

Possible career change in the pipeline....

Started by mathsgeek
Views: 604 Posts: 12

2009-10-29 9:36 PM kimmax

Has anyone completly changed careers after 15yrs?

Started by bcball
Views: 1276 Posts: 21

2009-04-30 6:04 PM timdude

Want to change careers.....to sales.

Started by Tania
Views: 913 Posts: 18

2006-04-27 4:02 PM Tania

Major Career/Income Change Anyone?

Started by RGRBILL
Views: 1507 Posts: 24

2005-07-08 2:50 PM cobi
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Am I crazy to want to still pursue tri, or is it fair to assume that my body will tell me when enough is enough and enjoy it/use it until such time comes to pass?

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : November 27, 2005
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 1
It is inadvisable for some people to begin an intensive exercise program without first consulting a health professional for advice, monitoring, and in some cases, tests.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.
date : September 2, 2004
author : tmwelshy
comments : 15
In February of 2004 I was a 270 pound 34 year old. I had the body of an out-of-shape, degenerate lineman. I was strong and muscular, but with a healthy dose of jiggle and even, dare I say it, wiggle.