General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Hiatus Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-07 4:56 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: Triathlon Hiatus
Just looking for advice from anyone who has decided after years of competing to take a long break. I've been racing for about 4-5 years and completed everything(sprint,oly,70.3, 140.6). I kinda need to take a break from it for a little while, mainly for my family(father of six- 6years old and under). But I know its going to be hard because I feel like that has been all of my focus for these last few years and that I will almost feel lost without it. Plus, I've worked so hard to get where I am speed wise and I would hate to have to start all over. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle such a thing and ways to stay in shape so that I wouldn't be starting from scratch when I start back. I'm thinking about taking about 6 months off of serious, structured training, and racing.

2014-07-07 9:24 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: Triathlon Hiatus
Last year, I didn't take a complete break from triathlon but only wound up doing a couple. I did do a 50 miler which was as much or more training in the first part of the year, but I also did a century ride and a 2.4 swim which didn't require as much training time. I came back this year, much more motivated to do triathlon. You might considering pursuing another endurance activity that doesn't consume quite as much time. Some options might be:
shorter triathlons: say 3-4 sprint triathlons this year
trail running
swim races
stand up paddle boarding (haven't done this, but it looks kind of awesome)
shorter road races: I've thought about seeing how quick I could get at a 5k or 10k

Best of luck and enjoy your hiatus. The trick isn't to stop doing anything, it's just to find some other things to do!
2014-07-07 9:32 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Do less, but do something.  Involve your family.  Jog with the stroller.  Have your kids ride with you while you go for a short run.  And then get some workouts in for yourself.  But it doesn't need to be highly structured, just enough to maintain reasonable fitness and mental health.  Go for your "long" ride, but tell the family that you will be back by X-oclock and then you are taking the kids to do something neat.  A hike, miniature golfing, to the beach, etc.  You get the idea.  It's a win-win.

2014-07-08 6:02 AM
in reply to: #5022640

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
I competed in IM in 2008 and pretty much took a sold break from triathlon until late last year/earlier this year. During that time I gave up running for 6 months (hated not running and had to go back) would have a cycling focused year or a run focused year. I ran marathons, half marathons, did 100km rides and the like, mini tris but nothing as epic as a full triathlon season that was all encompassing.

I'm making a comeback to IM now, I imagine 34km into the run I'll be wondering why I took so much time off.
Enjoy it, extra time with family, friends, other non sporting interests... Good luck!
2014-07-08 7:25 AM
in reply to: Casie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Find a new challenge! The sport isn't going anywhere. I'm feeling much of the same after 4 years of structure and racing. After my September IM, I'm taking time off from structured training. I'm thinking of maybe doing a 50 mile run race or a couple marathons or 10k swim race next year. I think the key is to stay active. You may lose tri specific fitness, but you can get that back as long as you keep moving your body in the meantime.
2014-07-08 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

When I hurt my Achilles in 2010, I couldn't swim, bike or run for nearly nine months (six months in a boot and three months of rehab).

I was still able to go to the gym wearing my boot and do upper body and core stuff that didn't involve my leg (mostly machines where I was seated).

I was afraid of gaining weight, so I signed up for Weight Watchers for Men Online to track my diet.  The unexpected benefit was that I actually lost about 15 lbs during that timeframe.

I have some other non-athletic hobbies that I spent time on while I was laid up.  I really enjoy building wooden ship models, but had been neglecting that for the last couple of years, mostly due to triathlon.

I also used my downtime to reconsider my goals in triathlon and whether I wanted to continue in the sport or find something else to do.  At age 57, I had started to feel the effects of age, but felt that if I stayed healthy I could give it a good effort for a few more years.  Since coming back I've been a lot more focused and consistent in my training.  Think that I appreciate the opportunity to still be involved in the sport, knowing that someday I won't be able to do so.

Mark

2014-07-08 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by mchadcota2

Just looking for advice from anyone who has decided after years of competing to take a long break. I've been racing for about 4-5 years and completed everything(sprint,oly,70.3, 140.6). I kinda need to take a break from it for a little while, mainly for my family(father of six- 6years old and under). But I know its going to be hard because I feel like that has been all of my focus for these last few years and that I will almost feel lost without it. Plus, I've worked so hard to get where I am speed wise and I would hate to have to start all over. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle such a thing and ways to stay in shape so that I wouldn't be starting from scratch when I start back. I'm thinking about taking about 6 months off of serious, structured training, and racing.

Priorities man, do what is most important first. As for staying in shape, there are PLENTY of ways to stay in general fitness shape that are not nearly as time conducive. Yes you won't be in peak shape, but you really only want to be at that level for a few weeks per year. Breaks are good from a physical and mental standpoint.
2014-07-08 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by mchadcota2 Just looking for advice from anyone who has decided after years of competing to take a long break. I've been racing for about 4-5 years and completed everything(sprint,oly,70.3, 140.6). I kinda need to take a break from it for a little while, mainly for my family(father of six- 6years old and under). But I know its going to be hard because I feel like that has been all of my focus for these last few years and that I will almost feel lost without it. Plus, I've worked so hard to get where I am speed wise and I would hate to have to start all over. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle such a thing and ways to stay in shape so that I wouldn't be starting from scratch when I start back. I'm thinking about taking about 6 months off of serious, structured training, and racing.

5 years into racing here.  I've worked from hoping to finishing a sprint to breaking 40 minutes in my 10k to being "in the mix" for local races.  

With all that said I'm about where you are.  After AG Nats I'm planning on dialing things back a bit, and plan on just riding my bike when I can with the local road groups.  I've said this in another thread, but at this point I've asked myself several times "what's next?", with the result being drawing a blank.

2014-07-08 11:17 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by tedjohn

Last year, I didn't take a complete break from triathlon but only wound up doing a couple. I did do a 50 miler which was as much or more training in the first part of the year, but I also did a century ride and a 2.4 swim which didn't require as much training time. I came back this year, much more motivated to do triathlon. You might considering pursuing another endurance activity that doesn't consume quite as much time. Some options might be:
shorter triathlons: say 3-4 sprint triathlons this year
trail running
swim races
stand up paddle boarding (haven't done this, but it looks kind of awesome)
shorter road races: I've thought about seeing how quick I could get at a 5k or 10k

Best of luck and enjoy your hiatus. The trick isn't to stop doing anything, it's just to find some other things to do!

I'm about to do the same thing after Louisville. I've been very focused on triathlon since 2010. I'm starting to feel the burnout, especially with a 2 1/2 yr old that I am really starting to hate leaving for 5-6 hours at a time on weekends, and not being able to do much during the week with him.
I'm only taking a break from the long distance and will still plan to race some sprints and oly's, but don't plan to really structure training for any specific race. Just to have fun, and for him to see his dad race.
I'm going to get back into kayaking, which i miss dearly, climbing, volleyball, and other sports that I've all but quit due to the demands of triathlon.

I figure when he's old enough to accompany me on runs with his bike I may get back into long distance. But there's definitely more to life than this sport, and man is it a time suck!
2014-07-08 12:04 PM

User image

Champion
MA

What do you enjoy doing the most? Do that when times allows. Running 4x a week for 30-45' will do a great amount of good for your health and mental health. Riding and swimming are more time intensive for the time you put in. Riding trainer is more time efficient than road riding.

Some of us like the challenge of the race out there so moving to not competing is challenging.

I had an injury, big surgery, and some health issues, I haven't trained for 3 years. I miss it but my knee and health won't allow it. I like competing so I struggle with just riding or just swimming without a purpose. I like training plans, doing workouts as outlined for me and see gains. I've moved on to other interests but I miss the sport and I wish I could get back at it somehow. I need to get back on my bike.

I applaud you for putting your family first. Those early years with your kids will be gone in a blink of an eye and are super fun. I'm on the other side of parenting as my youngest is almost 16 and oldest are 25. Sunday our son arrived in middle east for his deployment and our #4 went to college for a special program for Engineering students.

2014-07-08 7:15 PM

Whatever you do, make sure you get a vasectomy during your time off.

Holy moses, six kids under age 6. I've got three and am teetering on the edge of sanity.

2014-10-06 11:36 AM
in reply to: Casie

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I'm in a slightly different situation.  I'm 10+ years into triathlon and for many years it's almost become my identity.  I admit I liked that to a degree however recently I've experienced exhaustion to the point it's concerned me and seems to be more than just over-training etc.  

I've only done 1-3 races per season the past few years yet have continued to train 3x weekly in each discipline which seems to be why I need a break...

As I've reflected on my triathlon goals for the future it occurred to me I really don't have any other hobbies outside of fitness.  With a family and career, triathlon can turn into a "hobby" just planning workouts, keeping up to date on bike maintenance, training plans, gear review, purchases etc...

So slight hijack, what are some hobby recommendations for someone in need of one or two?

2014-10-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I was at a similar point (~5 years, 70.3, 140.6, etc.) when life and injuries persuaded me to let tri events slide for a couple years. I didn't quit training completely but cut way back on most of it. I was enjoying learning to swim though so I kept going to masters. Earlier this year I actually swam in my first ever swim meet, in the 55-59 age group! I'm still not fast but having fun. Now I'm starting to think it's time to re-focus on some bike and run, and maybe sign up for some more tri events next year. Tri will still be around if you take a break but it does help a lot to maintain some basic fitness.

Especially if you have a young family you have to consider your priorities. The kids are only young once. I suppose it might be tougher to choose if you're a pro and feeding the family with your racing but I doubt too many of us are in that position. Good luck and have fun!

Edit: Probably not a hobby for everybody but while I was taking a break from tri, I got a pilot license.

Edited by Micawber 2014-10-06 12:27 PM
2014-10-06 12:32 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Do something regularly for exercise, but take a break from structured training and racing. Just accept the fact that you will lose your specific fitness if you aren't actually training. But if you keep up the activity it won't take you long to get it back once you start training again.
2014-10-06 1:10 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

Everyone is giving good advice.  I got burnt out on triathlons a couple of years ago due to not finding a balance and focusing on long course races too much.  I needed a break and discovered that I LOVE mountain biking.  Did I mention I LOVE mountain biking.  I did an XTERRA race and loved that too so I still stay somewhat fit in the swim/run disciplines.

I also stopped doing other hobbies I liked such as kayaking, hiking, camping, fishing, and riding dirtbikes all for the sake of trying to do long course races.  Thta lack of balance played a big part in me getting burned out.  I don't follow any training plan and I just do whatever it is that I feel like doing that day but I still stay active.  In 2015 I'll be doing XTERRA race, some mountain bike races, and a couple of adventure races that I've found that have things like trail run / kayak / mtb bike.  Just stay active and everything will fall into place.

2014-10-06 1:35 PM

User image

Exton, PA
It's about being healthy and having fun. I've been doing tri's for 8 straight years now, and have yet to go full bore hard core training to see how fast I can get. Point blank I don't have time for it. I only do about 3 a year, sometimes less and sometimes more.

I don't ever think about stopping completely, maybe shift my focus to biking or running at time, maybe even swimming but never stop.

I have 3 kids I am raising, mostly on my own. This life style is a great example to them that you don't just sit around and get fat when you get older, and you keep a high level of fitness for many years. They love that I can go out on a soccer field with them and kick the ball around and still keep up. When son and his friends wanted to go do a Spartan race, his friends were allowed to go because I was doing with them.

Scale back, change your focus, do more with the kids, but never stop!

2014-10-06 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by mchadcota2

Just coming out of a hiatus myself. FIrst thing I need to state is that you will NOT start over. Lose some fitness? Of course, spend time getting in back? You bet, but you will NOT be starting all over from the beginning. Just look at how many endurance athletes take a year off for whatever reason, injured, pregnancy, family, etc. They get back to their form rather quickly, it just takes a good commitment and consistency in training to get it done.

That said, I took this year off from "competitive racing" but I still trained. Volume was low, intensity remained, weeks of consistent light training volume-wise followed by a month of little to no activity. Right now I am starting my off-season build, my FTP is very close to my last peak fitness level. Run times should come back well and I haven't lost much time in the pool. But I was training about 3-4 hours per week...average all unstructured when and however I wanted. I am not in peak shape but I have no races I am peaking for.

It was a good and needed break for me, job, building a business, move, etc. But now that I am back to full-time training with a BALANCED schedule my training should be better then ever.

Hardest part was allowing everything to unfold as it did. I had a plan to race this year and A PLAN IF I DIDNT RACE. That plan helped guide me and give me reassurance this was PART OF THE PLAN.

2014-10-06 5:20 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I'm taking a break this year and am glad of it.  The fun in racing had worn well off and I really was resenting swim practice.  It started with a vow to take off swim practice and thus triathlon, and just do duathlon and run.  Then I decided I hated bike racing too (LOVE BIKE RIDING) and will not be signing up for any dus, either.  It used to be such a huge part of my life, but I didn't even really miss it.  I still hang around BT and watch my friends at tris, so I get the social part without all the trouble  I have found that I am so used to working out that I didn't turn into the couch potato as I worried.  I have tried to incorporate more yoga but also other fulfilling things, like house projects, trips, and hanging out with my husband.   Long story short I didn't miss it at all and think anyone who is feeling unsure about structured training should take a little break. Either you'll learn you really DO miss it, or you realize it's not as important as you thought.

The only dilemma I can't answer is the loss of fitness.  I am personally keeping up running and biking, but I can't say it's the same as when I trained more.  However, they always say the base is there you can build back up more quickly/easily.  You might surprise yourself.  I stopped making major improvements long before quitting, which partly caused my lack of interest.

2014-10-07 9:17 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

New user
Key West
Breaks are sometimes not only necessary, but good. I haven't participated in a TRI this year since March with one scheduled for December, and I haven't been on my bike or swam since then either. It became my B sport behind running for me this year with two Marys (one in about a month). I have also experienced a really long break from TRI's before this. When I say long, I mean 20 years. I used to participate and TRI's in the early days of the mid-80's to early 90"s, then life just took me a different direction and I didn't do another one until 2011. I have continued to run though for 34 years, so always kept in aerobic shape.

Do what you have to, or want to, it will work out the way it is supposed to in the long run.
2014-10-07 10:14 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I have my last tri of the year, Rev3 FL, coming up in about five weeks.  I'm looking forward the race, but I've been strictly following a 20 week training plan and feel like I'm on the edge of getting burned out.  Definitely looking forward to the off-season, such as it is here in FL.

I've fallen back in love with swimming this year and am seriously thinking about cutting back on my tri schedule next year to do some masters swim meets instead.  I still love to run and ride, but feel that at 61, running is starting to take more of a toll on my body and bike training is very time consuming.

Mark

2014-10-07 10:19 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I did IMAZ (my 4th IM) back in Nov 2012 and for some reason, hung the bike up and never looked back or raced again.

I'm not sure if I was burned out, or just wanted something new to do.  I started to focus on golf and yoga and other activities.  Honestly, I'm not sure if I will ever return (at least to the level I was before) or just continue to expand my horizons and do new things.  It was so nice to have 2-3 pastimes to work on rather than spend 15-20 hours a week on triathlon. 

IF, I get back, I would think it would be with a renewed passion for it instead of just a routine and probably never get back up tot he volume I did in the past.

ALSO, I can tell what all the repetition was doing to my body.  I'm probably not built for endurance sports.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Hiatus Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Christmas Hiatus Weight Gain Pages: 1 2

Started by Mike J
Views: 1431 Posts: 27

2012-01-18 11:29 AM GLC1968

Training Hiatus

Started by aquabikenewb
Views: 586 Posts: 3

2011-08-17 9:45 PM aquabikenewb

Long (2 mos) hiatus from the roadie.....

Started by nc452010
Views: 830 Posts: 5

2010-07-29 7:09 PM tkd.teacher

Do you need a winter hiatus? Well..

Started by De Cracker
Views: 760 Posts: 3

2007-02-02 7:29 AM De Cracker

40-something and coming back after long hiatus

Started by jenniferlea
Views: 1135 Posts: 6

2003-09-03 4:55 PM 45tri