General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 'Healthy' for women to sunbathe: Swedish study Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-08 10:01 AM

User image

Subject: 'Healthy' for women to sunbathe: Swedish study
http://www.thelocal.se/20140409/sunbathing-can-save-womens-lives-sw...

The study followed up on almost 30,000 women over a 20-year period.
"The mortality rate among avoiders of sun exposure was approximately two-fold higher compared to the highest sun exposure group," the Karolinksa and Lund university researchers concluded in an article published in the Journal of Internal Medicine.

Now that's interesting

Where's the popcorn.

Edited by DanielG 2014-07-08 10:01 AM

2014-07-08 10:20 AM
in reply to: #5022960

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Subject: RE: 'Healthy' for women to sunbathe: Swedish study
Hmm, Exposure to solar radiation in the higher latitudes does not even compare to the levels we get at troical and near tropical lattitudes. I want to see the same study done in Australia and Central America. Pale people should stick to the northern climes.

Oh never mind me. All I really have to say about this is that melanoma sucks. Well, it really was the treatment that sucked. Can't really complain as I am still above ground.
2014-07-08 10:25 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Hmm, Exposure to solar radiation in the higher latitudes does not even compare to the levels we get at troical and near tropical lattitudes. I want to see the same study done in Australia and Central America. Pale people should stick to the northern climes.

Oh never mind me. All I really have to say about this is that melanoma sucks. Well, it really was the treatment that sucked. Can't really complain as I am still above ground.

The US Navy's findings said something like "Except for skin cancer..."

The researchers noted that the US Navy had previously reported that its staff were at a high risk of skin cancer, but were healthier when looking at the bigger picture. The Swedish study seemed to echo that observation.
2014-07-08 10:26 AM

User image

Pro

I love the sun....and never burn.  My wife is a redhead.  Take 30,000 of them and throw then into the sun as much as I like it and see what happens.

2014-07-08 10:31 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Is it too early to quote the inevitable 'correlation does not equal causation'?

Interesting stuff either way
2014-07-08 11:24 AM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

We have all evolved to handle some sun. Some people have evolved to handle more of it than others. It is how we get our vitamin D. Like so many things, moderation is important. I suspect that most people on this forum are like me. I spend so much time outside running and cycling that even with a sweat-resistant SPF30, I get a tan. I have a patchwork of tan-lines to prove it, too.

2014-07-08 11:29 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Exton, PA
This thread is useless without pictures!
2014-07-08 11:51 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Left Brain

I love the sun....and never burn.  My wife is a redhead.  Take 30,000 of them and throw then into the sun as much as I like it and see what happens.

It was never relavent before except in light of this comment...are you dark skinned? (is your profile pic really you?? lol)

Sun is the bodies main source of vitamin D and it doesn't take a lot of exposure to get it. But dark skinned people are actually at higher risk for osteoporosis and rickets for example. It's still not unusual to see african american toddler's with rickets because the skin absorbs the UV and doesn't let it penetrate to where the vitamin D conversion takes place.

Where as fair skinned people get t heir Vitamin D needs quickly and then the rest is added risk.

studies have show that sun is protective for most cancers except for melanoma. Not a new finding, just a new slew of results. Popcorn not needed.

Incidentally, in residency I had a friend who used to tan during the winter as an antidepressant. Not a lot of it, just once a week for a minimum period. It ried it and it sure made dark northern winter days feel better. I always used the minimum...I think I've tanned 6 times in my life. I like sun too, but I try to wear UV protection on my face mostly, and when at OW swim camps the rest of my body as well.
2014-07-08 11:53 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Yep -- correlation, not causation, I suspect. Sun avoiders likely have a much more sedentary lifestyle, I'd guess.

2014-07-08 12:27 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Just to be clear, here is a little more detail on the results.
1. The people in this study were virtually all fair skinned and in an area of the world with less sunlight than most.(Sweden)
2. The women who had normal exposure to the sun had the best mortality rate, the ones who had excessive exposure were second, and the ones who avoided the sun were third.
3. There are many other studies that show that excessive exposure in places that have lots of sun (ie. Australia as opposed to Sweden) do much worse.

The conclusion I see is that in areas that don't get a lot of direct sun, some sun is better than none and a lot of sun is better than none. In areas of the world that get a lot of direct sun, you're probably going to get enough sunlight going about your daily lives so use sunscreen and cover up whenever you're out for any length of time.
2014-07-08 12:30 PM
in reply to: #5022973

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Just curious, but whatever became of the Swedish Bikini Team? Wonder if they were included in the study....

2014-07-08 8:39 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Originally posted by b2run

Just to be clear, here is a little more detail on the results.
1. The people in this study were virtually all fair skinned and in an area of the world with less sunlight than most.(Sweden)
2. The women who had normal exposure to the sun had the best mortality rate, the ones who had excessive exposure were second, and the ones who avoided the sun were third.
3. There are many other studies that show that excessive exposure in places that have lots of sun (ie. Australia as opposed to Sweden) do much worse.

The conclusion I see is that in areas that don't get a lot of direct sun, some sun is better than none and a lot of sun is better than none. In areas of the world that get a lot of direct sun, you're probably going to get enough sunlight going about your daily lives so use sunscreen and cover up whenever you're out for any length of time.

Good summary!
2014-07-08 9:12 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Just curious, but whatever became of the Swedish Bikini Team? Wonder if they were included in the study....

You mean the ones that weren't Swedish at all?
2014-07-08 10:27 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by audiojan
Originally posted by MadMathemagician Just curious, but whatever became of the Swedish Bikini Team? Wonder if they were included in the study....

2014-07-08 11:16 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Pro

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by MadMathemagician Just curious, but whatever became of the Swedish Bikini Team? Wonder if they were included in the study....

Sun...........optional.

2014-07-09 5:20 AM

User image

My DH is from Scotland, and if you swim across the North Sea you will hit Norway - if that gives you any idea of how far north he was.

The sun is definitely different there...on the rare sunny day it's not as harsh as say, a Texas sun. The first few years he lived here he had a hard time with the brightness of the sun - it could be only 55 degrees outside but he would go "Man that sun is blazing!" (for reference, we live in Chicago - not really known for blazing sunshine).

I remember some time ago Deena Kastor's fracture during the Beijing Olympics was blamed on lack of Vitamin D absorption from using sunscreen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/13/sports/deena-kastor-sees-olympic-...

"It was later determined, Kastor and Mahon said, that she had difficulty absorbing calcium and vitamin D. Sunlight is a natural source of vitamin D, but its absorption was hindered by a sunscreen that Kastor used on her fair complexion to guard against skin cancer, Mahon said. She adjusted her diet, began taking a vitamin supplement and added heavier resistance training in the weight room. "

I find that for my own sanity I need to get some amount of sunshine. When I run I tend to go early morning hours and even with my red hair I don't use sunscreen unless I know I'll be out past 9 AM. I'm a redhead so I have to be pretty careful, but IMHO it's all about balance and knowing when to slather it on and when I can safely catch a few rays.

2014-07-09 5:22 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire

Adding a flag and bleach the hair (or a wig) doesn't make any of them Swedish...
2014-07-09 8:22 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Okay I know this is totally nto the point but those wigs ! YIKES

2014-07-09 9:10 AM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trishie

What wigs?

2014-07-09 9:34 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

What wigs?

Merkins

2014-07-09 9:37 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG

What wigs?

Merkins

bwaaaahahahaha!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 'Healthy' for women to sunbathe: Swedish study Rss Feed