General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Ironman recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-08 2:29 PM

User image

Subject: Post Ironman recovery
So, I feel as though with all the time I put into actually training for/ getting to the finish line of this last IM race I did little to no preparation for the post-IM recovery. I am now about a week out from the finish and I feel totally lost as to what I types of workouts (duration/intensity etc.) I should be doing. Clearly, I do not want to sit on my butt and gain a bunch of weight or risk losing any fitness, also my next race is a 70.3 coming up September 7th, so that makes me a bit nervous as well. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Helen

2014-07-08 3:02 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Post Ironman recovery
congrats on your IM finish!

I didn't see anything in your race log, so I don't know any details, and if this is your first IM experience.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much at the moment, relax and enjoy your downtime. You deserve it.
Mentally recovering from an IM is just as important as your physical recovery.

Right now, my recommendation is swim. Nothing intense, but try to swim as much as you feel like it, say a 1 mile or so.
Also spin on your bike to get your legs back. I'd suggest ease back into the running over the next few weeks...but slowly.

Everyone is different with recovery, but I like to ease back into the whole training thing. Your body comes back pretty fast from any loss of fitness.

Since you have a 70.3 in early Sept, obviously you will need to bump it back up fairly soon, but give yourself some a few weeks to recover mentally and physically before diving back into serious training.
2014-07-10 7:20 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Relax for at least two weeks.  Little training except for maybe a 5 mile bike, 1/2 mile run or 400 meters of swimming.

Then ease back into it.

2014-07-10 8:59 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Miami
Congrats Helen on your IM finish!!

I also finished my first IM this year and I felt lost after it was over. I did some research and I ended up doing this (it worked out great for me):

First week: Swim easy and bike easy only if you feel like it. I took 3 days completely off and then I went for an easy swim, the next day I spun on the trainer for a little bit and the following day I went for an easy run (I felt horribly).

Second week: You can swim at almost the same volume and intensity that you were swimming before. Bike easy, but you can start incorporating some more regular volume and moderate-harder efforts. Run easy and short.

Third week: Swim and bike volume and intensity back to normal. Run still easy, increasing volume cautiously, intensity only if you feel like it.

Fourth week: Normal

I did IMTX on May 17th, you can check my logs for the training I did the following weeks. Also, this link may help you: http://www.oztri.com.au/Training/Clinic/Post_Ironman_Recovery.htm
2014-07-10 9:45 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Thanks guys! I made the mistake of running 9 miles (I took too many days off and got antsy). My legs are feeling it today! I will take your advice and ease back into swimming and biking, that sounds like a better plan.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Ironman recovery Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman recovery and training for next ironman?

Started by armckenzie
Views: 1613 Posts: 7

2012-05-30 1:26 PM armckenzie

Half-Ironman/Ironman Recovery

Started by chasingkona
Views: 4165 Posts: 7

2009-09-19 6:15 PM KathyG

Post Race Recovery Routines?- 70.3 and Ironman events?

Started by Cyclingmaniac
Views: 862 Posts: 1

2007-07-25 12:36 PM Cyclingmaniac

Post Marathon Recovery Question

Started by us50090
Views: 666 Posts: 4

2006-03-08 6:59 AM Daremo

RECOVERY from Half Ironman/Ironman

Started by gammy999
Views: 1259 Posts: 4

2005-09-13 11:28 AM Hudnick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussion on chocolate milk for recovery after workouts and Ironman bike fueling.

date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : September 3, 2008
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.
date : November 20, 2007
Depending on the length of your workout, there are several options to choose for a post-workout snack. Includes 3 smoothy recipes for workouts over 2-3 hours.

date : November 4, 2007
comments : 4
What you eat prior to your workout will determine your energy levels during a workout. What you eat after a workout will determine how quickly you recover.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Questions and answers on HIM training with a sprained ankle, metric century plan basics, Olympic speedwork, Ironman commuter rides, bricks, HIM before IM recovery and post race nutrition.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.