General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit: where to start? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-08 8:22 PM

Subject: Wetsuit: where to start?
I've completed one triathlon, and have another in a week and a half. It is projected to be too warm for a wetsuit, which is good for me. I plan to buy one sometime between now and next spring, and have no idea where to start.

I live in northern IN, so for spring and fall races water temps will be in the 60s. I was a competitive swimmer through high school, and I think I still have decent form, but I'm not crazy fast. BOFOP at the only race I've completed. I'm very comfortable even in OW without one - lived in FL until recently. I don't want anything that will constrict my chest or alter my arm movements. I feel in my head like a sleeveless would be less restrictive, but don't know if that's the case in real life. Also, I'm female, 6'/155. Thoughts? Recommendations? Budget-friendly brands also appreciated so I can get some ideas at least! TIA

2014-07-09 3:27 AM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Subject: RE: Wetsuit: where to start?
http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/index.php/home/us#

Get on x-terra's mailing list and wait

2014-07-09 9:20 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by DanielG http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/index.php/home/us#Get on x-terra's mailing list and wait

Agree with this.

Also "Like" them on facebook and you'll get good notifications on their sales.

I bought a suit based on their interactive fit tool and instructions and it's a perfect fit.  

Helps that a $400 suit was actually $169 after their discount email.

Dean

2014-07-09 9:59 AM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

X3 for Xterra being a good place to look for a budget friendly suit. As far as sleeve vs. sleeveless... I have not swam in a sleevless, but I can tell you that a sleeve suit works just fine as long as you put it on correctly. If you don't get the bottom half on correctly the top half will not fit properly and can really restrict arm movement and your breathing. When a sleeved suit is worn properly you hardly notice it is there. 

2014-07-09 10:07 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Aarondb4

When a sleeved suit is worn properly you hardly notice it is there. 

I have competitive swimming background as well and was not willing to spend the money on a wetsuit to feel restriction of any kind. I went with a sleeveless, so yea I might finish a HIM 10 seconds slower then if I had a full suit(but then again maybe not). I preferred the sleeveless with no restrictions on the shoulders.

Personnel preference, you may want to rent both to find out which you prefer.
2014-07-09 10:11 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
If you're in Northern Indiana, then you likely come to Chicago from time to time. Next time you're in town, I'd suggest (and throw in a plug) for Mox Multisport http://www.moxmultisport.com/ They're a fantastic bunch and will take the time to walk you through different brands/styles to fit your needs/body type, price range, etc.. They have a pretty large selection of suits, and loan suits as well. If you're so inclined, you could rent a suit from them, then head down to Ohio Street Beach for a swim to make sure it feels right before committing to the full cost of a suit.

On sleeveless vs sleeves. My first suit was sleeveless and I hated it. I was cold (even when I lived and did a lot of OWS in Miami Beach). I have a full-sleeve BlueSeventy Reaction suit now and love it!

Good luck on your quest!

2014-07-09 10:11 AM

User image

I personally will not buy a Xterra suit again. I have not gone 3 swims with out a tear. And yes I'm putting it on right
2014-07-09 4:40 PM

It is possible to just wear a "bottom" wetsuit (speedtube) and skip the top pieces as found in the Desoto's brand. That said, I don't know if I have ever seen a female wear just the bottom piece of the Desoto wetsuit? Hope you can find a retailer and try on several brands.
2014-07-09 5:19 PM
in reply to: klatz

User image

Pro

Originally posted by klatz I personally will not buy a Xterra suit again. I have not gone 3 swims with out a tear. And yes I'm putting it on right

That is EXACTLY how I feel about Xterra suits.  I've never seen a suit that rips so easily.

2014-07-09 5:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by klatz

I personally will not buy a Xterra suit again. I have not gone 3 swims with out a tear. And yes I'm putting it on right

Same here. I have worn mine about 5 times in 3 months and it has about 5 rips.
I had an Orca for 5 years with 1 rip.

I got the xterra at 70% off. I now feel I overpaid for it.

They are easy to repair. The stuff under the neoprene, the red stuff, seems to hold things together until you do the repair

Edited by marcag 2014-07-09 5:38 PM
2014-07-09 5:38 PM
in reply to: #5023260

Wow, really? Yeah, I'll be pissed if I drop over $100 on anything that doesn't last a while!

2014-07-09 5:39 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Do you all not clip your nails? I've raced in my Xterra twice and took it out for three practice swims. It's still in pristine condition without a single tear.
2014-07-09 5:44 PM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by pnwdan

Do you all not clip your nails? I've raced in my Xterra twice and took it out for three practice swims. It's still in pristine condition without a single tear.

I don't clip them myself, I have a manucurist that does that for me.

The first thing I noticed when I received the wetsuit was how soft and what felt was fragile, the rubber was compared to my Orca.
2014-07-09 5:50 PM

Originally posted by MMW37 Wow, really? Yeah, I'll be pissed if I drop over $100 on anything that doesn't last a while!

My Xterra suit has been going strong for 5 years now. I now only wear it for races since I'm pool training the rest, but I used it 3x/week in ocean water for 3 years before that.

They probably do get small 'sharkbite' finger-rips a bit more easily than some other wetsuits, but these don't at all affect the performance or cosmetics of the wetsuit. 

I'm sure at that price point (mine was $99 on sale back then, I'm sure the sale price is higher now) it's not the best, but it will likely give you 95+% of the performance of a much higher priced wetsuit and yes, it will last (unless you cnosider those small sharkbite rips a nogo.)

2014-07-09 6:10 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I've had an Exterra wetsuit for over 5 years, worn it dozens of times, never torn once. I guess you just have to be smarter than the wetsuit

I have both sleeveless and sleeves. I like them both. I like the sleeveless for training in warmer weather because it's easier to put on. I've swam in water cold enough that I would not have wanted to wear the sleeveless.

So if I was going to recommend a first wetsuit, I'd recommend a full sleeve.

2014-07-09 8:45 PM
in reply to: #5023260

So maybe if I currently lean towards only wearing in colder water, I should get a full sleeve and not sleeveless? I've only ever worn one the couple of times I've gone diving, and I don't remember loving it - but those were poorly fitting dive shop loaners. Argh.

2014-07-10 6:38 AM

User image

I bought a 2XU C:2 full sleeved as my first wetsuit and that thing has done me right for about 5 years now.
Longer (HIM/IM) races in warmer water, over 70 degrees, made me look some more and I now have a 2XU SC:2 wetsuit that's sleeveless as well for the warmer races.

I would start by renting
https://www.triwetsuitrentals.com/

See what fits you, what you like. Then buy it.

2014-07-10 7:10 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

I have both a sleeved and sleeveless. I have been going with the sleeveless in races. I don't know if it's my imagination but it feels a lot less restrictive and I feel like I have better form because I can feel the water. I haven't raced enough to tell definitively but I get better times with my sleeveless.
I have an Xterra. It is easy to tear but I've learned how to put it on carefully and I haven't had a tear now for a long time. When they go on sale, they are really cheap.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit: where to start? Rss Feed