General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to expect/do on race day for a HIM. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-09 6:33 AM

Subject: What to expect/do on race day for a HIM.
I have found all kinds of write ups on whats going to happen on race day for full iron distance races, but nothing for Half. Are there going to be gear bags for each transition? or do i set up my transition area like i would in a shorter event? I've read there is a changing tent in the Full IM, is there also one in the HIM? I've read that during the full they have bike aid stations every twelveish miles, can i expect the same in a half? What about water stations on the run? I'm assuming there will not be special needs bags in the HIM. is there any other logistical stuff that i need to know to prep for this?

2014-07-09 6:46 AM
in reply to: seiken

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: What to expect/do on race day for a HIM.

Most HIMs have similar transition setups to shorter races (ie. your stuff next to your bike).  There are just a few that use gear bags and that's usually due to two different transition areas.

Expect bike aid stations every 10-15 miles.

Expect run aid stations every mile.

No special needs.

2014-07-09 7:58 AM
in reply to: #5023340

2014-07-09 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
What race are you doing?

Most races have a map for each leg with aid stations marked. Should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Dont worry about it, you will do great and dont forget to have fun!
2014-07-09 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Unless the race has two transition areas, think of it like its a longer Olympic. You have the same setup in transition, etc. No changing tents. Likely no special needs on the bike but you will get an aid station every 10-15 miles or so.

Be prepared to carry all the nutrition you will need on the bike. For a half that shouldn't be that hard to do.

If there is anything "special" about the logistics of the race (IE a two-transition setup), they will be sure to tell you in painful detail how it will work. Its usually not a big deal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to expect/do on race day for a HIM. Rss Feed