Bali Sports Foundation
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 02m
Overall Rank = 14/20
Age Group = Women Open
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Kingsley and I had a wild neon wedding in sports clothes. This is becoming our usual pre-race MO ... particularly apropos, we are wearing (and exchanged instead of rings) our Bali Ocean Swim medals because that's where we met exactly a year ago. :)

Our wedding was also a fundraiser for the Bali Sports Foundation (which puts on this swim), of which we are trustees. BSF provides sports programs for disabled and disadvantaged Indonesians, and among its many events organizes the only Paragames for Indonesian athletes.

Then we went on honeymoon #1 (food poisoning from a brunch after the wedding), and honeymoon #2 (still fatigued and recovering--it was really bad! but we did get a wee bit of race prep in :) )

The day before the race, we went to the site in the afternoon to help set up and discuss last-minute arrangements with the organizers (which, technically, as trustees of the Foundation which puts on the swim, we also are).

Holy CRAP. It's a washing machine out there! There are waves and currents going every which way.

Didn't get a great pic of some of the 5-6ft curlers, but you can see how high even the smaller breakers near shore are (right arrow) and how high another is working up to be (left arrow). And yes, those are surfers.

We had lunch with Sideshow Bob (Kingsley's friend who also came last year as sherpa and matchmaker, as it were). This is the lounge area for the swimmers to use for the time of the race. Very nice digs at the Bali Garden Hotel.

Race morning. Get up, pee, poop, eat cereal with yogurt, get dressed. Kingsley asked if I couldn't look at least a bit excited for the photo. This *IS* me being cheerful and enthusiastic in the morning!!!

Sideshow Bob showed up 3hrs early (for his event, the 1.2km) to sherpa, cheer, and photograph.

And boy, did he have a special cheering surprise for us! Woo hoo, I *am* awake and there is COLOR representing!

Registration or check-in and body marking was very smooth; no lines or waiting (even for later comers).

Course map, upside-down L shape with Indonesian fishing boats as the main buoys (and feed/drink stations).

We put our race drinks/nutrition in plastic bags marked with our race number, which were taken out on the boats which would mark either end of the course that we swam around.

A really hot chick I call Fifi lubed me up. :) BLAST I didn't get a pic of that, but this is a pic of us anyway:

Event warmup:

Warmup? The swim WAS a 10K warmup for a long afternoon nap! Sheesh. I did go stick my feet in the water to see if it was cold (it wasn't; but it has been such in prior years that tropical folk were getting pulled out with hypothermia).

Other racers, including Kingsley, did go warm up. (Warm up? for a 10K? *tilted dog-head confusion look* there was also the 1.2K and 5K distances, though)

Kingsley and I ready to rock 'n' roll our meeting anniversary in wet style!

Start to line up a few minutes before race start (10K at 9am, 5K at 9:30, 1.2K at 10).

Sweania, Indonesia's young triathlon protege (watch for her in Tokyo 2020, I tell you!) and I discuss course tactics. No, I'm not pregnant, just fat. ;) Actually zipping up my skinsuit.

See why I do this sport? :) (I got the world's best husband out of it. That's a pretty big damn prize).

The 10K starting lineup. Pretty solemn and focused.

Swim
  • 3h 02m
  • 10000 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

And we're off! I'm in no hurry. (somewhere in the back, waddling) This is not a running race. This should have (at least) a standing-water if not deep-water start like most decent OWS (and many triathlons) do. How would marathon runners feel if they had to swim a lap before starting and at the finish?!

Still in no hurry (great mid-waddle pic from Sideshow Bob). Oddly enough, though, there are 8 swimmers still behind me in even less of a hurry!

Race? There was a race?
Yeah, and it kind of sucked.*** (See comments under Race Evaluation at end). Course was likely short; however, the buoys and boats serving as buoys that we swam around kept moving, too. GPS from my friend Giampaolo of the 5K showed 4.45K; figure ours was 8.9 or 9K. Regardless, it would still be a blistering PR for me, which considering the wedding and later food poisoning run-up (and shoulder strain from all the barfing, no joke), I was really, really happy with.

The 1st 2.25km stretch out across the bay was relatively smooth; focused on long, stretching, powerful strokes. Just thoroughly enjoyed the water and experience and needed no distractions. It seemed to go very quickly and at the turnaround boat they had my drinks lined up for me to just grab, which I did, slugged from, and went.

The way back SUCKED. Seriously swelly, choppy, and miserable. No way to establish any kind of rhythm or technique, so I focused on strong fast flutter kicks to be a kind of motor and rudder while I did a high, fairly straight-arm recovery with a very fast turnover to just try and get through the water. Swallowed a lot of seawater; once I just flipped on my back and did some backstroke to get a break from being slapped in the face every single stroke. (I also did that on the second stretch coming back in, which was even worse).

Just to break up a boring race report of a kinda crappy race, here's the 5Kers running in to start their race (30min after our 10K):

After the turn buoy boat on the starting end (drinks similarly quickly produced, thank you), the 2nd stretch out across the bay was smooth again (going along with the chop and swells rather than against them). Unfortunately the tide had turned so had to swim well against it to not get dragged out to sea. This also meant and was when both 5 and 10K swimmers on their way back were colliding with the 10Kers on their 2nd lap back out. Crap planning. However, it brought me into very close proximity with Sweania, enough for her to recognize me and cheer me on! What a champion.

And after the far-end turn buoy boat, coming back was a real nightmare again, but worse because with the swell and chop the tide was also dragging us out to sea. FUN! No really ... it was. I had a great time. This is why we do it! Adventure! I also seriously started focusing on gratitude (A-Z ... mostly food and people :) ), and then in the last quarter of the race I was just seriously focusing on food. Every arm punch into a wave-chop I would think A is for Apples, I like to eat. B is for Butter, I like to eat. C is for chicken, I like to eat ... et cetera. And I went through the alphabet a few times that way! After the final turn buoy boat, it was just a few hundred metres in, but ... tide's coming out and current dragging to the right, which is into rocks, reef and jetty. Half fighting the water and half trying to catch swells and breaking waves in, I just kept to my old tried-and-true mantra: PIGLET. BURGER. PIGLET. BURGER. PIGLET. BURGER.

Here's the 10K overall (young female! Yay!) winner coming in--yeah, that's some serious water we had to get through.

Finally, finally, I got through enough pigletburgerchanting to make it in, and as soon as my hand hit sand I got up and started booking it in. I'm a fachin' triathlete. I RUN out of the water.

Kingsley and Sideshow Bob were cheering for me as I ran up :) and I was immediately handed a bottle of cold water by a volunteer after the line. Good stuff.
What would you do differently?:

The strategy of starting out painfully, miserably slowly (hell, I had 10K worth to go faster later with if I felt great, right?) was probably not the wisest considering the kind of waves and strong inflow we had to get through out to the first buoy. It's actually not a great starting strategy for any kind of mass swim start for a relatively decent swimmer--it's go like a bat out of hell to get out past the surf and stay with some good feet, then settle into a distance pace on a nice draft. Oh well. Next time..
Post race
Warm down:

Paddled around and did some backstroke in the wonderfully cool lap pool they have right near the beach, race site. Showered off in the most convenient shower they have next to it, too.

And PIGLETBURGERPIGLETBURGERPIGLETBURGERPIGLETBURGER! OMG look at the wonderful treat that's included with the race! And the yummy boxed lunch, too. ;)

Rian, a wonderful member of the exploding emerging Indonesian endurance community (he swam the 5K, first time at that distance!), came up and introduced himself though we'd known each other through FB. It's always super to connect with and make new friends at races.

A really classy move was the race organizers giving me a special award (SEE! It's official, I'm SPECIAL ;) ), basically for continuing to breathe and attend this race. ;) Anyway, I'm the only person who's taken part in this race every year and continued to actively support it since its inception, five times now.

It's a beautiful etched-glass plaque in a very nice box.

All the race structure and people also really hung in there for the last-place 10K finisher to come in (which, shockingly, was not me, and super kudos 'cause he was out there for a while!). Race announcer really whooped it up and everyone gathered to cheer him in. Trooper!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Given that I wasn't feeling great going into this race, health/energy and shoulder, I think the overall pacing and execution was wise, and my sighting and lines were really good despite the lack of course marking and currenty choppy swelly water. Under good conditions though I can and should push a good bit more from the start. I had plenty left in the tank upon finishing

Event comments:

The race organization itself is great, but the course layout and marking sucked, and that IS the race (despite plenty of detailed feedback from swimmers last year about how to put a solid course together that's much better for swimmers, spectators, staff, and safety). That all was even more important this year as they were understaffed. That said, the organizers, volunteers, lifeguards, folks on the boat (photographers, spotters, feeders) and medics worked really hard and put on the best race they could, which I'd call adequate.

I was pretty pissed that Kingsley had had a paddler last year and we requested one for this year (reiterated the day before and were assured it'd be done, look, we would have been happy to arrange our own paddler) and he wound up NOT having one. We're trustees of this charity race foundation which is FOR disabled athletes, Kingsley is blind, and even the sighted swimmers were lost at sea with the poor markings and tough conditions ... all known factors from previous years which could very easily have been mitigated. And Kingsley is actually a contender to win this race (2nd last year) so this isn't a minor have-fun-participate point--it's a real race-making and safety issue as well.

Overall, this is still a wonderful race with a fantastic atmosphere, for a great cause and put on by great people who work hard. But they really need to step up their game, especially since this is an international race that's attracted world-class athletes every year. The race organizers' own abilities and goodness, and the commitment of the racers, really deserve better.

Last updated: 2014-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
03:02:00 | 10000 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 14/20
Performance: Good
0:29.30, 0:46.00, 1:02.00, 1:18.00 (corner of L), 1:28.00, 1:38, 1:54, 2:46 (corner of L)
Suit: Arena suit under skinsuit
Course: Upside-down L shape. Straight out from shore, turn right, 2 out-n-back, turn left, back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 26C / 79F Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-07-09 8:02 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Bali Ocean Swim 10K

2014-07-09 8:40 AM
in reply to: #5023377

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Bali Ocean Swim 10K

OK - if this is the result of long waits for RR's, then all is forgiven.  That was one fachin awesome race AND RR!

I love the photojournalism (capturing the pigletyness of the whole event, I see).

Sounds like a rough swim - I just stand in awe of y'all getting through that.  Nicely done!

Hopefully it'll come off a bit more smoothly next year - I'd hate anything to get in the way of another RR like this!

Congrats again.  

Matt

2014-07-09 9:01 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
That was a race report worth waiting for!!

And you are SPECIAL!!!

Congrats - you look and sound so happy these days - it's awesome
2014-07-09 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

My shoulders hurt and I have nausea just reading this report!!  Congratulations on a great swim under very trying circumstances! 

2014-07-09 9:07 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

YAY you again Congrats I hope you are feeling better soon. It seems like I say that to you almost everyday!!

2014-07-09 9:10 AM

Master
Northern IL

Nice going Yanti!

2014-07-09 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Great job Yanti, and your report makes me think about maybe thinking about doing this next year (but not seriously).

Did you get the time you needed to qualify for Rotto?
2014-07-09 9:15 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Some serious swells and chop out there! You and Kingsley are amazing to navigate in that mess!

Seriously, no paddler for Kingsley is more than dangerous.  Downright scary thought in those conditions!!

5 years of doing that crazy race?  You deserve the special award

2014-07-09 9:31 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

OK - if this is the result of long waits for RR's, then all is forgiven.  That was one fachin awesome race AND RR!

I love the photojournalism (capturing the pigletyness of the whole event, I see).

Sounds like a rough swim - I just stand in awe of y'all getting through that.  Nicely done!

Hopefully it'll come off a bit more smoothly next year - I'd hate anything to get in the way of another RR like this!

Congrats again.  

Matt

You really know how to hit the mark! So so sweet. Now I'm inspired to actually write more of the damned things--so much amazing stuff from other racers to show that should be portrayed and written, that they don't write up themselves 'cause they're not limelight hogs, er piglets like me.

2014-07-09 9:44 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk That was a race report worth waiting for!! And you are SPECIAL!!! Congrats - you look and sound so happy these days - it's awesome

So so so happy. We are very happy ourselves and thus always look to add to each other's joy ... don't need to TAKE anything from the other.

Thank you! My mother thinks I'm special too

2014-07-09 9:48 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by amd723

My shoulders hurt and I have nausea just reading this report!!  Congratulations on a great swim under very trying circumstances! 

Schpank you! I kinda feel beer-responsible for you ...

One plus of poor Kingsley getting lost is that he got held up a lot trying to find his way and thus wasn't heaving the last 2km and after like he was last year. 'Course that's when I fell in love with him

2014-07-09 10:44 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK Great job Yanti, and your report makes me think about maybe thinking about doing this next year (but not seriously). Did you get the time you needed to qualify for Rotto?

Oh, now it's on don't think for a minute I'll leave you alone about this ...

and yesyesyes!!! Needed sub-4, so I'm way good!

2014-07-09 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow, just wow. 10k is a RUNNING distance, not a swim!!!!!!!!!! Especially in choppy water that is trying to carry you to another continent!!!!

You rock! I'd forgotten that this was where you met the Mr. So cute!!!!!!! You two make an awesome awesome team!

And thanks for another epic RR!

2014-07-09 12:52 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master

Hmmmmm, I think I'll continue my OWS races in nice calm lakes.  Awesome job on the race.  We had one practice swim last year in the ocean and it was swell-y and wave-y and tide-y and I didn't like-y.  And that was only 1km!  You lot are amazing 

2014-07-09 12:59 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Awesome report Great pictures, what's not to love!
2014-07-09 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Awesome report from an awesome individual. You two have a lot to be proud of, and I'm sure the race will improve.

2014-07-09 2:29 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

A 10K swim boggles my mind, especially in an ocean.  Lovely write-up, love the pics except the one of you NOT smiling.  I'm not sure I've ever seen one of you looking that genuinely sad and not wearing your usual, radiant, contagious smile.  Congrats on continuing to be a part of this race year after year, surely you serve as an example and inspiration to many Balese(?), er, Bali folks.

2014-07-09 8:02 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyK Great job Yanti, and your report makes me think about maybe thinking about doing this next year (but not seriously). Did you get the time you needed to qualify for Rotto?

i need to clarify I did NOT mean the 10km. It's an awful long way to come for a swim
2014-07-10 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
What a great swim!!! I would love that. A wonderful race report. I really enjoyed reading it and seeing the pictures. Congrats on a great race!!!!
2014-07-10 12:43 PM
in reply to: amymengel

User image

Denver, CO

Great RR and amazing race!!  Love the piglet pictures and swim chants.   If the organizers can get their collective act together, sounds like this race could be a fun  anniversary celebration for you and Kingley.  And the "Special Award" is just the gravy on the cake - so perfect in so many ways!!  Way to go, you!!  (So, what, only 12 RR's to go now? )

2014-07-11 6:03 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock

Great RR and amazing race!!  Love the piglet pictures and swim chants.   If the organizers can get their collective act together, sounds like this race could be a fun  anniversary celebration for you and Kingley.  And the "Special Award" is just the gravy on the cake - so perfect in so many ways!!  Way to go, you!!  (So, what, only 12 RR's to go now? )

CAKE. You said CAKE Thank you!

Yeah, 12, baker's dozen, who's counting? (Some people interested in beer, or so I hear ... )

2014-07-11 6:10 AM
in reply to: amymengel

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by amymengel What a great swim!!! I would love that. A wonderful race report. I really enjoyed reading it and seeing the pictures. Congrats on a great race!!!!

You'd have a blast and be so good at it. PLEEEEEEEEZE come visit pleeeeeez

2014-07-11 9:11 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

i need to clarify I did NOT mean the 10km. It's an awful long way to come for a swim

It's an awful long way to come just to get yer feet wet in a 1.2, too you're a fishie, dooooo eeeeeet

2014-07-11 9:13 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by melbo55

A 10K swim boggles my mind, especially in an ocean.  Lovely write-up, love the pics except the one of you NOT smiling.  I'm not sure I've ever seen one of you looking that genuinely sad and not wearing your usual, radiant, contagious smile.  Congrats on continuing to be a part of this race year after year, surely you serve as an example and inspiration to many Balese(?), er, Bali folks.

It is much easier to bang out even a rough ocean 10K than to care for an ailing parent. You are a champ.

I am the worst morning person in the world. I growl and even swipe at Kingsley. Because he's BREATHING.

2014-07-11 9:17 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by bcraht

Hmmmmm, I think I'll continue my OWS races in nice calm lakes.  Awesome job on the race.  We had one practice swim last year in the ocean and it was swell-y and wave-y and tide-y and I didn't like-y.  And that was only 1km!  You lot are amazing 

Pretty much the same, we just didn't like-y for a bit longer it's amazing to do no matter what the distance. The ocean can be extremely intimidating.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bali Ocean Swim 10K Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Bali Ocean Swim 10K

Started by kingsley.bugarin
Views: 1150 Posts: 10

2014-07-08 8:05 AM mcmanusclan5

Bali Ocean Swim 10K

Started by biggles69
Views: 832 Posts: 1

2013-09-28 2:17 AM biggles69

Bali ocean swim 10K

Started by biggles69
Views: 890 Posts: 2

2013-09-28 2:15 AM TriAya

Bali Ocean Swim 10K Pages: 1 2

Started by TriAya
Views: 6951 Posts: 33

2011-10-11 10:27 AM gofishtlp

Bali Ocean Swim 5K

Started by TriAya
Views: 5495 Posts: 23

2011-01-01 8:47 PM reecealan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.

date : May 6, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on increasing your swim pace, free golf, bilateral breathing, paddle or fin usage, to kick or not to kick, dizziness, ocean swims and sighting.
date : July 9, 2007
author : roach
I got battered by the ocean in the swim but I had made it out...bruised and bloodied, but not beaten.

date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.