General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Less and less "hometown" triathlons?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-09 10:25 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Subject: RE: Less and less "hometown" triathlons??
Here here. I'd been wanting to get into tri's for several years, but it was cost prohibitive for me. I was only able to get into it when I got a job that I could afford to buy some of the basic equipment (like a bike!). I'm still buying bits and pieces here and there as I can afford it.

Also, races can be quite expensive. I can enter a 5K for about $35, but most trips around here are around $100+.

2014-07-09 11:24 PM
in reply to: lkct01234

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Less and less "hometown" triathlons??
Originally posted by lkct01234

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville
Originally posted by lkct01234

I posted this in the WA forum but realized that this isn't necessarily specific to our region...

I have a bit of an "in" in short distance race organizing. It sounds like numbers are dropping and organizers are getting away from the tri scene. It breaks my heart!

Costs keep going up and numbers down. I was told that one race made about $1K-$1500. Could you imagine months of work to get you, pretty much, less than minimum wage??

Adventure races and long distances are the "thing"...how can you get a few more people to do some of the local tri races?

I've seen the exact opposite where I am. There are at least 10 within an hours drive, and 20-30 within a 2 hours drive. And there have been more and more in the past couple years. I live in Asheville so part of that could be that people like coming for vacation and a race. There are two weekends I can think of off hand that there are 3 races in one weekend(a oly/half one day, sprint the next) and another with a sprint sat and a sprint sunday, 30 minutes apart. I'm glad to have all the choices, so long as the RD's are making decent money. I don't want them to be giving their time away.

When you say the 3 races in one weekend, is it the same event or different events?

Is thsi Jones racing? They do a great job and have a TON of events. I went to an Oly back in April and the race directors were headed toa 5k later that afternoon. If hte local numbers support it, awesome
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Less and less "hometown" triathlons?? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Got my little sister excited about triathlon!

Started by jgalaviz
Views: 586 Posts: 3

2011-11-25 10:59 PM Mikeylee

Disappointed with how LITTLE calories triathlon training burns. Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 11422 Posts: 146

2011-05-16 8:37 PM ejshowers

Swimming Question: Less Strokes = Less Energy and Less Speed? Pages: 1 2

Started by jeffy_101
Views: 3943 Posts: 29

2009-07-29 12:59 PM sand101

Little teaser- Boulder peak triathlon photos

Started by newbz
Views: 944 Posts: 6

2009-07-14 6:30 PM newbz

First Triathlon... I little worried about finishing last Pages: 1 2

Started by newbie101
Views: 2483 Posts: 32

2007-06-29 11:57 PM stampinann
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 4, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are you a mindless eater? Do you eat too much at meals? Or do you graze throughout the day? Start getting rid of those bad habits today.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.