General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting Nervous Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-09 12:39 PM

User image

Subject: Getting Nervous
So it's 3 days until my first HIM. AND THE NERVES JUST SET IN

This is just a little rant to try to get things off my chest and let the nerves out.

I managed to get sick at the 9 day out point, so my taper turned into complete rest. I think it did my body good and feel like I'm recovering. Still have quite a bit of chest congestion but it seems to be improving daily. I dropped my gear off with my family yesterday as they will be driving to the race (they are making it an extended vacation). When I woke up this morning, I realized that I fly out tomorrow and the nerves really set it. I'm starting to question my training plan and keep questioning if I'm ready for this race. I'm not out to win any awards. My goal is simply to finish. I'd be really happy with 7hrs. I have taken the last week completely off and prior to that I worked a string of 4 nights so I didn't really get much in during that time except some stretching, I'm hoping I haven't lost too much fitness.

My plan is to start out on the far left for the swim. It's a clockwise triangle. I'm hoping to avoid most of the contact at the start so that I can settle into my pace and keep my breathing and HR in check. I'm also nervous as I had planned to wear a sleeveless wetsuit and the last water temp measured 2 days ago was already 79 degrees. The reservoir is fairly shallow and the temps can change drastically over a short time. No other measurements are expected until race morning, so I'm hoping it stays where it is and I'll have the option to wear the wetsuit (and obviously forgo any awards, but I'm not going to be anywhere close to the podium, so it doesn't matter). I'm hoping the extra buoyancy will keep me relaxed for the swim. My last open water tri went very smoothly. No panic and breathing was great. Unfortunately, the race before that keeps creeping into my mind. That race went terribly. Im not sure if it was the water temp (60s and had no chance to warm up so the water was a shock as soon as I put my face in) or if I went out too fast initially. About 200m in, my HR spiked and I couldn't get my breathing under control. I completely panicked and ended up breast stroking most of the Oly. Not in the game plan. I don't want a repeat of that race, so my plan is to stay out of the crowd as much as possible while maintaining a good line on the buoys.

My plan for the bike is average 15-16mph. I want to stay relaxed and save as much for the run as possible as my run training has been less than stellar. Nutrition plan is Infinit 4 scoops per bottle. One bottle over 2 hours. 2 bottles for the bike course. water in the BTA bottle to refill along the course as needed. Additional water bottle on the down tube to refill the BTA as needed. The course is fairly flat with only 1 or 2 small rollers. The majority of the course is on a 4 lane highway, closed to traffic so that part should be a dream. According to some of the guys that have scouted the course, there is a short connecting road heading out to the highway that is VERY rough and has been launching water bottles off the back of some bikes. This should be a short stretch so I'm not too worried about that part. Overall I feel comfortable with the bike portion.

I think I'm equally nervous about the swim and the run. I'm not a fast runner anymore. In shorter races, I can average in the 8s but for longer distances (half marathon), this creeps up to around 10 min miles. With my work schedule, I had a really hard time getting in my long runs. The longest in training was 8 miles and felt good throughout. My plan is to walk the aid stations and run between. Plan is to take a GU heading out of T2 as well as at miles 4 and 8. This may have to adapt on the run course as the reports are constant rollers for the entire course and the forecast shows temps in the 90s with high humidity. I don't mind the hills much as where I live is hilly (not mountains, just hilly) but am worried that the lack of run fitness will show after the bike.

So, all in all, I'm just nervous. I know that I need to relax and trust that I can finish this. I'll be so much happier after that gun goes off and my face is in the water.

2014-07-09 12:47 PM
in reply to: Rdracer99

User image

Subject: RE: Getting Nervous
trust your training - I know it probably sounds trite - but at this stage, there isn't much you can do
2014-07-09 4:28 PM
in reply to: Rdracer99

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Getting Nervous
I agree, trust your training! It's completely normal to get nervous. At one OLY I had in April, I really freaked out, and I typically do HIM. I think it not being a wetsuit swim freaked me out, but once I was in the water and on my way, things settled down and I focused on the race.

If your plan is what you have prepared for in training, then stick with that and you are good! Here are a couple things I think about for each leg of the race:

swim - my least favorite part, but the shortest and the only time I won't be hot (I race in AZ, so it seems to always be hot). I enjoy being in the water, and when I breathe I take a good look at the sky from time to time just to really appreciate where I am. No line at the bottom to follow and no need to count laps - all good things!

Bike - I'm always happy to be done with the swim and biking is my favorite part. Just try to settle into your zone and race your own race. 56 miles is a long way but get your hydration and nutrition in and it will pay off in the run.

Run - Not my strongest leg but with 2 legs down, you are almost there. i usually dedicate a mile to people in my family, friends etc and it helps to pass the time. Then you are at the finish and time to celebrate!

Enjoy racing and be in the moment as much as you can! That's why we do this right? Wave to your family, thank the volunteers, Feel proud for getting to the start line and what you are going to accomplish. Not many people can say that! Good luck and have fun!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting Nervous Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First HIM CA- NERVOUS

Started by phantom62610
Views: 1316 Posts: 10

2010-08-28 7:38 PM phantom62610

Gettin a lil nervous about IMKY hills!!

Started by drew3623
Views: 2075 Posts: 17

2010-03-24 11:42 AM peewee

IMKY Pre-race report (aka ramblings of a nervous triathlete) Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1849 Posts: 34

2007-08-23 10:50 AM aluminum1

Have you gotten away with

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 929 Posts: 7

2007-03-19 6:35 PM go_sparkles

IM Louisville - Anyone else nervous/annoyed?

Started by trobenson
Views: 1397 Posts: 9

2007-03-06 11:58 AM trobenson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : September 10, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 9
Description of one overweight, nervous, beginner triathlete's very first race -- a "Mini" Triathlon.