Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-07-16 11:54 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Tour de France
so, when did Bradley Wiggins fall off the end of the earth? I understand he was hurt last year, but where is he this year? Not back to form? Other issues?

2014-07-16 12:13 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Mike_D so, when did Bradley Wiggins fall off the end of the earth? I understand he was hurt last year, but where is he this year? Not back to form? Other issues?

My understanding is that Sky wanted to have all their eggs in the "Chris Froome" basket. That kinda backfired on them, although it does give Porte an opportunity.  

2014-07-16 3:13 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

New user
Key West
Originally posted by Hook'em

Anyone else disappointed that Nairo Quintana is not riding this year?  

Yes, I thought of him the first day when they said he wasn't riding in the race. He added some out of the box excitement last year with his clearly from the "heart" racing and I was looking forward to see if he could shake it up this year.

I have to take my hat off to Talansky for finishing today despite now being out of the running and in a lot of pain. He could have easily thrown in the towel and didn't. We'll see if he shows up tomorrow. Even if he doesn't though, he showed a lot of professionalism and mental toughness.

Nibali is looking relaxed and definitely the one to beat at this point. Richie Porte isn't far back and might be waiting until later in the race to attack.
2014-07-17 7:34 AM
in reply to: #5023737

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Major props to Talansky and also to the TV crew for staying with him. That took a lot of guts to finish through that pain. Not surprised he pulled out today but huge respect for yesterday.
2014-07-17 11:21 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Veteran
Central Point
Originally posted by crowny2

Major props to Talansky and also to the TV crew for staying with him. That took a lot of guts to finish through that pain. Not surprised he pulled out today but huge respect for yesterday.

Totally agree, it was a different prospective on the tour. You could see the conversation Talansky was having with himself before he pulled over at the guardrail. I'm very glad he was able to complete stage 11. Respect.
2014-07-17 1:59 PM
in reply to: ckallpoints

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Don't see how the TV crews and team cars can make it down the hills in front of the bikes without crashing.

2014-07-17 2:20 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

New user
Originally posted by Mike_D

so, when did Bradley Wiggins fall off the end of the earth? I understand he was hurt last year, but where is he this year? Not back to form? Other issues?

Wiggins won 3 races this year, including the Tour of California, so not form. I believe i read or heard that it just wasn't working with both him and Froome on the team.
2014-07-17 2:22 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

New user
Originally posted by topolina

Anyone else disappointed that Nairo Quintana is not riding this year?  

Yes, I thought of him the first day when they said he wasn't riding in the race. He added some out of the box excitement last year with his clearly from the "heart" racing and I was looking forward to see if he could shake it up this year.

I have to take my hat off to Talansky for finishing today despite now being out of the running and in a lot of pain. He could have easily thrown in the towel and didn't. We'll see if he shows up tomorrow. Even if he doesn't though, he showed a lot of professionalism and mental toughness.

Nibali is looking relaxed and definitely the one to beat at this point. Richie Porte isn't far back and might be waiting until later in the race to attack.

me too re Quintana. Really enjoyed watching him last year and was looking forward to seeing him again. Was sad to learn he wasn't racing.
2014-07-18 10:25 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by braciole

Originally posted by Mike_D

Wiggins won 3 races this year, including the Tour of California, so not form. I believe i read or heard that it just wasn't working with both him and Froome on the team.

There's apparently no love lost between Froome and Wiggins and once Froome had been anointed as the team's leader, I think it was the decision of the team leadership (and, depending on whom you believe, a request from Froome) that Wiggins be left off the team so that he not create a distraction or a division of responsibility. Wiggins said that he'd be happy to ride the race as Froome's domestique, but who knows how that would have worked, especially if Froome struggled early.
2014-07-18 2:53 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

The Vuelta is going to be the grand tour to watch.  Froome will be there, and it's likely Wiggins will be too that should add to the drama.  Quintana will also be there, and Rodriguez will be racing for the GC as well.  Contador says he hopes to recover in time for the Vuelta as well, although I wouldn't hold my breath on him being at top form even if he could show up to the start line.

Still enjoying the TdF though.  Nibali is putting on a show...but plenty of stages left.  Likely the GC is safe, but lots of epic stages ahead to provide some drama.

2014-07-18 8:18 PM
in reply to: Jason N

New user
Key West
Originally posted by Jason N

The Vuelta is going to be the grand tour to watch.  Froome will be there, and it's likely Wiggins will be too that should add to the drama.  Quintana will also be there, and Rodriguez will be racing for the GC as well.  Contador says he hopes to recover in time for the Vuelta as well, although I wouldn't hold my breath on him being at top form even if he could show up to the start line.

Still enjoying the TdF though.  Nibali is putting on a show...but plenty of stages left.  Likely the GC is safe, but lots of epic stages ahead to provide some drama.

I would say, especially after today, the Tour de France is a great show. Holy Cow, I can't even imagine riding any of those climbs today, especially the BEYOND category. Nibali made it look fairly easy. Valverde gave it the good old college try but was schooled, today anyway. We'll see how Nibali feels tomorrow. TJV looked good today and moved up a bit. Sad and surprised to see Richie Porte implode, but anyone can have a bad day. Quite a few riders have had bad days this tour. Looks like the last week will be exciting.

2014-07-18 9:45 PM

User image

Originally posted by topolina

I would say, especially after today, the Tour de France is a great show. Holy Cow, I can't even imagine riding any of those climbs today, especially the BEYOND category. Nibali made it look fairly easy. Valverde gave it the good old college try but was schooled, today anyway. We'll see how Nibali feels tomorrow. TJV looked good today and moved up a bit. Sad and surprised to see Richie Porte implode, but anyone can have a bad day. Quite a few riders have had bad days this tour. Looks like the last week will be exciting.

I almost think it's a good thing that Nibali opened up his lead and that Porte (Nibali's main time trial threat) is now completely out of it.  This should open up the action in the mountain stages to come.  Guys can sort of just go for broke for stage wins and not worry if they crack and lose lots of time...including Nibali.  

Porte has yet to prove himself as a grand tour contender...yet.  He had a couple of bad days last year in service for Froome...if not, he would have finished 2nd in the GC as nobody other than Froome could touch him when he was on.  Consistency is one of those things he will have to learn if he's going to be a legit GC threat.  Handling the pressure is part of the deal as well.

Other than the unfortunate crashes, I have been enjoying the TdF so far.  The crappy stages are where the peloton or lead group go up and over all the mountains together and there are no real gaps.  Every mountain or hilly stage this year has resulted in time losses for the GC contenders...these guys are racing hard.

2014-07-18 10:31 PM
in reply to: Lumber Dad

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Originally posted by Lumber Dad

Don't see how the TV crews and team cars can make it down the hills in front of the bikes without crashing.

Never mind the dudes on the back of the motorcycles with the cameras.

I'm so happy to be enjoying this year's TdF this much! No extracurricular noise, just amazing sportsmen battling it out every day. I don't care if the favorites are out, I think it actually makes everything way more exciting.
2014-07-21 5:28 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Veteran
Central Point
So with one week left of racing it still looks like its Nibali's race to lose. The race for the other 2 podium spots is really close at just over a minute between 2-5 place. I'd really like to see TJ Van Garderen make it to a podium spot (I gotta root for fellow countrymen). Its interesting to see the TT as the penultimate stage also. With things so close this could be BIG.
2014-07-23 3:19 PM

New user
Key West
Well after today, TJ has to completely blow away his competition either tomorrow or in the time trials to make a podium. He just hasn't been that impressive.

Nibali showed again today that he really has no competition in this year's race. Valverde definitely can't shake him, or even keep up with him for that matter, in the mountains and Nibali and a good TT rider too. So, I would say that unless there is a catastrophic event over the next two days with Nibali, he is the new Tour champion. The climbs today were ruthless and he was still able to pass people and move up during the toughest part of the climb.

TJ made a statement about Nibali that was a bit like sour grapes today, saying he didn't get the point of him pushing so hard instead of letting others who were no competition go ahead and that he should just sit back and take it easy. IMO Nibali doesn't owe that to anyone, and he is not so far ahead that he doesn't want to make sure that he does have a cushion in case he goes down or has an off day over the next few days. I just thought it was a tacky loser comment. He didn't try, nor does he want, the king of the mountains title, he wants to be the GC.
2014-07-25 6:59 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

At this point, it really is Nibali's to lose. He has been absolutely robotic in the mountains, no change of expression on his face at all. And with the energy to match anything his competitors throw at him. Chris Horner may not be the strongest guy out there, but watching the Shark stick to him when he broke away up the mountain at the end was pretty impressive. Then he dropped him like a bad habit, took off after the leader and passed him without a glance. Everything that has been thrown at him has been matched without batting an eye.

Yet, I think the bigger names coming out of this Tour will be Sagan, Kittel and a few of the other young guns. Watching these guys ride has been a treat, and I think there may be some really good racing in the next few years as they mature. The guard is changing as Valverde, Contador, Voeckler, and Cavendish may be on the back side of their careers. Of course, Sky still has Froome and Wiggins, so it'll be interesting to see what happens there as well.

Cool stuff, no doubt.

2014-07-25 9:11 AM
in reply to: cdban66

New user
Key West
It was amazing to see Nibali yesterday have that much strength and energy. He was though hurting a bit at the end of that last climb and admitted it. But he has a HUGE heart and is trying to silence all the naysayers that said he wouldn't have won if Froome and company had stayed in the race. He has been very convincing, but who knows. In the end, the race is the race and no one should consider this an asterik race. His team has done a fantastic job. At least we all now know, if we didn't know before, what the capital of Kazakhstan is.

I think actually the most interesting racing as far as the future of the sport goes has been the young French riders. They are very likely going to end up at least second and third overall, depending on the time trial tomorrow. I think French riders are going to be the ones to watch in the future.

Of course, for now my paisano Nibali is bringing pride back to Italian cycling enthusiasts. I read that Gino Bartali's (won the Tour de France twice ten years apart, before and after WWII) family sent Nibali one of Bartali's yellow jerseys for good luck. If you don't know Bartali's story there is a good book about him and the early days of cycling, along with his heroic deeds on behalf of Italian Jews during the War, called "Road to Valor: A True Story of WWII Italy, and the Cyclist who Inspired a Nation"
2014-07-25 1:53 PM

User image

Originally posted by topolinaI think actually the most interesting racing as far as the future of the sport goes has been the young French riders. They are very likely going to end up at least second and third overall, depending on the time trial tomorrow. I think French riders are going to be the ones to watch in the future.  

It's been a great tour for the French, but I wouldn't consider them the ones to watch.  Pinot shows a little promise, but make no mistake, he's 7 minutes off Nibali.  Don't be fooled by his GC ranking when most of the big hitters aren't here (Wiggins, Quintana) and the other ones have crashed out or suffered from crashes (Contador, Froome, TJ, Talansky).  

2014-07-25 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It's been a great tour for the French, but I wouldn't consider them the ones to watch.  Pinot shows a little promise, but make no mistake, he's 7 minutes off Nibali.  Don't be fooled by his GC ranking when most of the big hitters aren't here (Wiggins, Quintana) and the other ones have crashed out or suffered from crashes (Contador, Froome, TJ, Talansky).  

How much do you think crashing has factored into TJ's performance?

2014-07-25 3:20 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by topolinaI think actually the most interesting racing as far as the future of the sport goes has been the young French riders. They are very likely going to end up at least second and third overall, depending on the time trial tomorrow. I think French riders are going to be the ones to watch in the future.  

Agreed.  I would have loved to see Nibali battling Quintana in the mountains.

2014-07-25 5:20 PM

New user
Key West

Agreed.  I would have loved to see Nibali battling Quintana in the mountains.

I would have liked to see Nibali and Quitana too. Nibali though is a very good strategist and has a lot more experience than Quitana. But, you never know. As for the French, I agree that they would likely not be on the podium had not the events unfolded as they did, but they have beaten some other favorites who are still in the Tour and they are young. Lots of time ahead of them. The Time Trial tomorrow will be fun to watch in terms of the podium spots.

2014-07-25 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Point
Nibali is having an amazing Tour. I don't think he has anything to prove to anybody Froome and Contador started the same race he did he has just ridden a better race. It would have been nice to see Quintana in the race this year to but ... We get to watch the race as it is and its been AWESOME.

I'm looking to forward to tomorrow too. Lets see if we see a reshuffling of the GC standings after the TT.
2014-07-25 6:30 PM

User image

Elite

Maybe it's just me... but I can't help watching the Tour and think I am only seeing the guy that doped the best. I don't mean that in general... I mean Nibali walking all over them like they were amateurs, and not even look like he is trying. Seriously, not only is the time gap enormous, but again... he looks like he is not even trying compared to the rest. He can do what he wants at will.

I get it that a few of the favorites got knocked out. I'm sure Nabali would not have the time gap he has if others were placed into the standing... But it is really hard to take pleasure in a dominate performance and a guy crushing it the way Nabali is in the modern age of cycling.... fool me 20 times and shame on me and all....

2014-07-25 8:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by powerman

Maybe it's just me... but I can't help watching the Tour and think I am only seeing the guy that doped the best. I don't mean that in general... I mean Nibali walking all over them like they were amateurs, and not even look like he is trying. Seriously, not only is the time gap enormous, but again... he looks like he is not even trying compared to the rest. He can do what he wants at will.

I get it that a few of the favorites got knocked out. I'm sure Nabali would not have the time gap he has if others were placed into the standing... But it is really hard to take pleasure in a dominate performance and a guy crushing it the way Nabali is in the modern age of cycling.... fool me 20 times and shame on me and all....

Well, if you think about it, this year's performance by Nibali should be less of an alarm bell than the last two years given how Froome and Wiggins waxed the floor with everyone else.  If you were to remove the big names from each of those years such as Quintana, Contador, Nibali, Froome (in 2012)or Rodriguez (he clearly isn't racing for the GC this year and is focusing on the Vuelta) then the time gaps over 2nd-5th place are even worse than they are for Nibali this year.  Wiggins would have had a 10+ minute gap on 2nd place and Froome would have had a 7+ minute gap on 2nd and a 11 minute gap on 3rd.

Nibali is making the rest of the field look bad because...well...they are.  Maybe you're right that it's still a doping contest.  I don't know...but if it is, it's not just this year because Nibali is somehow doing something superhuman that we haven't seen in the past two years.

2012 Final General Classification

GBR  1  WIGGINS, Bradley (SKY PROCYCLING)                87:34:42
GBR 2 FROOME, Christopher (SKY PROCYCLING) + 3:21
ITA 3 NIBALI, Vincenzo (LIQUIGAS-CANNONDALE) + 6:19
BEL 4 VAN DEN BROECK, Jurgen (LOTTO BELISOL) + 10:15
USA 5 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING) + 11:04
ESP 6 ZUBELDIA AGIRRE, Haimar (RADIOSHACK-NISSAN) + 15:43
AUS 7 EVANS, Cadel (BMC RACING) + 15:51
FRA 8 ROLLAND, Pierre (EUROPCAR) + 16:31
SLO 9 BRAJKOVIC, Janez (ASTANA) + 16:38
FRA 10 PINOT, Thibaut (FDJ-BIG MAT) + 17:17

2013 General Classification after Stage 21
GBR  1  FROOME, Christopher (SKY PROCYCLING)                  83:56:40
COL 2 QUINTANA ROJAS, Nairo Alexander (MOVISTAR TEAM) + 4:20
ESP 3 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) + 5:04
ESP 4 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (SAXO-TINKOFF) + 6:27
CZE 5 KREUZIGER, Roman (SAXO-TINKOFF) + 7:27
NED 6 MOLLEMA, Bauke (BELKIN PRO CYCLING) + 11:42
DEN 7 FUGLSANG, Jakob (ASTANA PRO TEAM) + 12:17
ESP 8 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR TEAM) + 15:26
ESP 9 NAVARRO GARCIA, Daniel (COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS) + 15:52
USA 10 TALANSKY, Andrew (GARMIN SHARP) + 17:39

Edited by Jason N 2014-07-25 8:20 PM
2014-07-25 9:23 PM

User image

Elite

I get it. He is a strong cyclist and he has been at the top. And ya, I certainly thought the same thing about Whiggins and Froome.... and neither had been a contender for a few years like some. It's just an indication of the damage that has been done to cycling. You can't even take pleasure in a great performance... well I guess I can't. Maybe anti-doping has gotten better, but not much has seemed to have changed, there are still a handful of guys that are crushing it, and the only other 120 human beings on the entire planet that can even do this look like couch potatoes.

This has definitely been a strange year. Lot's destruction. It makes it interesting for the others that are hungry.... but the money is not going to stand for all their top investments being taken out in that fashion.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tour de France Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Who will win the Tour De France Pages: 1 2

Started by kleinrider
Views: 2660 Posts: 42

2005-07-02 8:02 AM dorkboy

Official: Lance Retiring after Tour de France

Started by mnewton
Views: 661 Posts: 1

2005-04-18 3:46 PM mnewton

track 05: tour de france

Started by autumn
Views: 586 Posts: 1

2004-10-07 10:07 AM autumn

Tyler Hamilton Foundation presents the Tour de France

Started by Sharkie
Views: 802 Posts: 6

2004-07-03 12:20 PM keepitup

Tour de France Pages: 1 2

Started by BigBoy
Views: 1832 Posts: 28

2004-07-06 6:26 PM kimj81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?

date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.