Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tour de France Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-07-26 6:12 PM
in reply to: powerman

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: Tour de France
Cally me Pollyanna but I just don't see the need to assume that because someone is an outstanding athlete, which Nibali has proven more than once in his career, and peaks at the right time, that he is doping. If you follow the logic that pro cycling is full of dopers, then others would be doping as well and he would still be better than the other dopers. Really?! I am just not that cynical (and I am a lawyer, so I should be). No one but Nibali put in all those miles and cycled up those mountains. Do I think he was "lucky" that his "real" competition wasn't in the race for one reason or the other, yes probably. But, as mentioned, he made the start line and survived, while those others didn't. He deserves some respect. Were Eddy Merckx and Gino Bartalli dopers? I don't think so. Yet they blew away their competition. I know that was many years ago.

All that said, I think Armstrong and all of his brethren set professional cycling back on its heels and there are many that will never look at the sport the same. I am hopeful that I don't have to eat my words in the future.

2014-07-26 8:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Nice rehash of the last 15 years defending Lance. That's exactly what I said too. I'm not looking at Nibali's race, I'm looking at the last 20 years of professional cycling. The only thing that builds muscle is resistance training. The only thing that builds superior thresholds is endurance training. The only thing that builds both better is steroids, EPO, and blood doping. You do know one of this years favorites, Contador, was stripped of his TDF title in 2010... just 4 years ago... right?

It isn't so much hating on Nibali, just a general observation of the damage done. I watched every one of Lance's victories, and they were all incredible. He beat them all because he worked the hardest. That is an undisputable fact. What is now also undisputable is he worked the hardest at doping too. He did it better than all of them. Fact.

..... but ya, he never tested positive in a race....

Edited by powerman 2014-07-26 8:18 PM
2014-07-26 8:15 PM

User image

Elite

Besides all that.... Nibali had a great race... regardless who is on the course, you have to do your best. He was certainly dominate. There is always great young riders that everyone says they are going to be King some day... we'll see. It takes a career.

Speaking of which, TJ has turned into a bit of a disappointment... not that he isn't an incredible cyclist... he certainly is, and he is always at the top.... that's just it, every year I keep hoping this is the year, and then something happens... He did great this race. Didn't give up, gave his all, and still finished well. He can put that one in the bank. That work will pay off later. He has plenty to be proud of. Lot's of success for such a young rider. Maybe I'll see him when he gets to Colorado.

2014-07-28 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by powerman

Besides all that.... Nibali had a great race... regardless who is on the course, you have to do your best. He was certainly dominate. There is always great young riders that everyone says they are going to be King some day... we'll see. It takes a career.

Speaking of which, TJ has turned into a bit of a disappointment... not that he isn't an incredible cyclist... he certainly is, and he is always at the top.... that's just it, every year I keep hoping this is the year, and then something happens... He did great this race. Didn't give up, gave his all, and still finished well. He can put that one in the bank. That work will pay off later. He has plenty to be proud of. Lot's of success for such a young rider. Maybe I'll see him when he gets to Colorado.

It was an interesting Tour to be sure!

I'm wondering who will show up in Colorado. I don't think Froome will, after crashing out of TdF he menioned Espana, as did Quintana. I'm guessing TeeJay will be in Colorado, I hope Sagan will. It'll be fun to see who else shows. Cadel is scheduled to be in Utah, as is Danielson.

2014-07-28 7:56 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

BMC, Cannondale, Tinkoff-Saxo, Garmin Sharp, and Trek Factory racing are the only major UCI teams that will be racing the US Pro Cycling Challenge.  So for sure Froome and Quintana won't be there.  

My hope is that Jens Voigt gets into a break and goes solo for a stage win...just one last time.

2014-07-28 8:59 PM

Expert
Originally posted by powerman

Nice rehash of the last 15 years defending Lance. That's exactly what I said too. I'm not looking at Nibali's race, I'm looking at the last 20 years of professional cycling. The only thing that builds muscle is resistance training. The only thing that builds superior thresholds is endurance training. The only thing that builds both better is steroids, EPO, and blood doping. You do know one of this years favorites, Contador, was stripped of his TDF title in 2010... just 4 years ago... right?

It isn't so much hating on Nibali, just a general observation of the damage done. I watched every one of Lance's victories, and they were all incredible. He beat them all because he worked the hardest. That is an undisputable fact. What is now also undisputable is he worked the hardest at doping too. He did it better than all of them. Fact.

..... but ya, he never tested positive in a race....

[/QUOTE

While I'll make no comments on any racer in particular, I just can't see how cycling can stay clean. The potential to increase performance by 10-20% by using EPO is too powerful. Even the cyclists that have doped and not tested positive indicated that they 'had' to do it to remain competitive. So now with the sport being clean, while they wouldn't have to do it, with all that can be gained with a few 'enhancements', it's not a difficult speculation that some will try. And if some will push it, then others will, then some will push more, etc., etc. The sport is currently filled with exposed ex-dopers who really received no punishment, many are managing current teams. The risk is small, the returns are large, for many it will be the most 'logical' option.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tour de France Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Who will win the Tour De France Pages: 1 2

Started by kleinrider
Views: 2660 Posts: 42

2005-07-02 8:02 AM dorkboy

Official: Lance Retiring after Tour de France

Started by mnewton
Views: 661 Posts: 1

2005-04-18 3:46 PM mnewton

track 05: tour de france

Started by autumn
Views: 586 Posts: 1

2004-10-07 10:07 AM autumn

Tyler Hamilton Foundation presents the Tour de France

Started by Sharkie
Views: 802 Posts: 6

2004-07-03 12:20 PM keepitup

Tour de France Pages: 1 2

Started by BigBoy
Views: 1832 Posts: 28

2004-07-06 6:26 PM kimj81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?

date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.