Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tour de France Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-07-09 6:14 PM

New user
Key West
Subject: Tour de France
Anyone watch the carnage today? It was painful to watch and I am sure even more painful to be a part of. Sad to see Froome go out that way, but that is the Tour. Nibali had a great day and good past few days, but not sure he can take it all the way. Should be interesting to see if he can hang or who comes forward now.

2014-07-09 9:13 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Tour de France

Watching it right now! It really just looks miserable.

2014-07-09 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I'm bummed to see Froome out. Money on Contador at this point.
2014-07-10 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I saw bits and pieces and haven't seen Froome's issues or anything really bad yet. All the finishers looked like they went through the wringer. I wonder what this means for Sky and Richie Porte. 

2014-07-10 8:05 AM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I think Contador is going to have a tough time making up 2 minutes on Nibali, even this early in the race, but if anyone can, he can.

I think I posed the question last year whether Sagan could be a GC contender one day, and I think the answer's clearly "no", but, given his performance yesterday, I don't think it would unreasonable to think that he could win a race like Flanders or Roubaix. Barring a catastrophe, he's got the Green Jersey all but locked up at this point, and we're not even through the first week.

2014-07-10 8:06 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Stage 5 was incredible to watch.  

I think the race for GC is up in the air after yesterday's stage.  Richie Porte is certainly a good rider as he displayed pulling Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome up mountains the last couple years.  Contador is back a couple minutes, but his best racing days are ahead in the Alps and the Pyrenees.  However, it is hard to bet against Nibali while he is wearing yellow with a considerable lead over all comers.

2014-07-10 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by cdban66

I saw bits and pieces and haven't seen Froome's issues or anything really bad yet. All the finishers looked like they went through the wringer. I wonder what this means for Sky and Richie Porte. 

I don't know about that, but I know that somewhere, Bradley Wiggins is smiling...
2014-07-10 8:17 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

I don't know about that, but I know that somewhere, Bradley Wiggins is smiling...

Sky is behind him, whether he is viable or not. The thing is generally won or lost in the mountains, so I'm not sold on Nibali yet.

2014-07-10 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by topolina

Anyone watch the carnage today? It was painful to watch and I am sure even more painful to be a part of. Sad to see Froome go out that way, but that is the Tour. Nibali had a great day and good past few days, but not sure he can take it all the way. Should be interesting to see if he can hang or who comes forward now.

Nothing like riding on cobblestones and narrow roads in the rain all day! I don't remember seeing this many crashes in the first few days of the tour. I don't really pay as much attention until the second week where the "Real" race begins in the mountains. The main objective in the first week for the GC contenders is to emerge healthy.

Bummer to see Froome drop out, even though many people are saying that Niboli is now the favorite we will have a better idea once they hit the mountains next week.
2014-07-10 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Point
I remember a couple years ago Nibali riding right along side Froom. If he has the same form I wouldn't count him out. I'm excited to see what Andrew Telansky can do this year in the Tour as well. He beat both Contador and Froom in the Dauphine a month ago and looked good doing it.
2014-07-10 3:51 PM
in reply to: ckallpoints

New user
Key West
I heard one of the commentators say today that Nibali's team manager or owner (can't remember which) said that they may intentionally give up the yellow jersey for a few days to give the Team a break. It is hard to always be up there pulling the leader along, we saw what Richie Porte did last year, but I can't see Nibali voluntarily giving up the jersey. But, I suppose if your bread and butter tell you to, then you do it.

More crashes today because of the rain. That is definitely the big equalizer.

2014-07-10 6:54 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Yep, I wonder if Sky doesn't regret not taking him now...  They could have easily switch leaders and have a shot...

2014-07-11 6:26 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Kido

Yep, I wonder if Sky doesn't regret not taking him now...  They could have easily switch leaders and have a shot...

Yeah, without a doubt. There was a lot of discussion during stage 6 on that, especially after they had more issues. Great finish to stage 6 as well. Finally got caught up on it. And it looks like there might be some questions on AC as well. He may have peaked earlier in the season and they lost a key piece of their puzzle as well during stage 6.

2014-07-11 4:26 PM

New user
Key West
Well, they can't blame it on the rain today. A couple of favorites with spectacular falls. TJ made a heroic, and pretty successful effort at coming back after his. We'll see how he does in the first mountain runs tomorrow. They talked about the Nibali option of giving up the jersey to someone who was not an overall threat for the GC again today, but he doesn't look like he is interested in that on a personal level. He is great in the mountains. I am rooting for him. (Never mind I am U.S./Italian dual citizen and of course not biased)
2014-07-14 9:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not impressed with Christian Van De Velde in the commentator's box. On the other hand, I've really enjoyed the couple of times they've given some air time to Chris Horner.

The best example, to me, was their analysis of the Talansky crash during the bunch sprint on stage seven. Van De Velde was, as is often typical of active or recently-retired pro athletes, very reluctant to assign any responsibility for the crash to either Talansky or Gerrans. He said, after being prodded, that it was "maybe 60/40 Talansky's fault".

Horner, on the other hand, was much more opinionated. I'm paraphrasing, but basically his point was that, in the first place, Talansky had no buinsess mixing it up with the sprinters. He was never going to outsprint Sagan and that basically his youthful exuberance got the better of him and he found himself in a chaotic situation that we was too inexperienced to know how to deal with. Horner was very clear that while he knew it was an honest mistake on Talansky's part, that Gerrans wasn't at fault either and that a more experienced rider would have stayed clear of a sprint in that situation. Bob Roll, also, pointed out the fact that Talansky had looked to his right in the middle of the bunch sprint and, as a result, didn't see Gerrans moving up on his left. Roll said that a more experienced rider would have kept his eyes forward and would have seen Gerrans out of the corner of his eye. He, too, put the fault pretty squarely on Talansky.

I would love to see them replace Van De Velde with Horner at the end of the season, if Horner retires. I just don't think Van De Velde adds very much to the discsussion. We've already got two former tour riders on the dais with Bob and Paul. If Christian isn't going to say anything other than, "mountain stages are really hard" and "cobbles are really slippery", then I'd rather swap him out for someone who's not afraid to give an opinion, even if it's a little controversial or ruffles the feathers of some guys who are still in the tour.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2014-07-14 9:44 AM
2014-07-14 3:38 PM

New user
Key West
I have liked some of the guest commentators that they have had, like Horner. Nibali looked pretty relaxed today when he made that final climb. He looked like he was flying compared to everyone else and this was after a really tough day. His likely biggest rival Contador is now out, so it will be interesting to see what happens. TJ had a pretty good day.

2014-07-15 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Unless Nibali crashes, which could very well happen if the trend continues, it's his tour to lose.

2014-07-15 12:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Another big name drops out today......

Edited by Mike_D 2014-07-15 12:36 PM
2014-07-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by mcgilmartin I'm bummed to see Froome out. Money on Contador at this point.

AND that's how Vegas makes their money!!!!

2014-07-15 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

le Tour de Attrition.

I gotta quit looking in here until I am all caught up.

2014-07-15 1:50 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

RE:  Van De Velde

I like his insight especially when it comes to the mind of the team and peleton, but he's just green.  Nervous.  He makes a lot of verbal mistakes and everything sounds prepared - and still can't get it out fluidly.  I think a year under his belt plus getting removed from the sport a bit more so he can be more opinionated will help.  I think the riders are still sort of his "friends" and doesn't want to start slamming them yet.

2014-07-15 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

I like his insight especially when it comes to the mind of the team and peleton, but he's just green.  Nervous.  He makes a lot of verbal mistakes and everything sounds prepared - and still can't get it out fluidly.  I think a year under his belt plus getting removed from the sport a bit more so he can be more opinionated will help.  I think the riders are still sort of his "friends" and doesn't want to start slamming them yet.

He has gotten better.  Did you hear him during the Amgen in California.  He was worse, if that is possible.  I'm pretty certain they have worked with him to smooth out his delivery and will likely do so.  You are right, I like his insight and I'm trying to be patient with his delivery.

2014-07-15 7:13 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Originally posted by crowny2

He has gotten better.  Did you hear him during the Amgen in California.  He was worse, if that is possible.  I'm pretty certain they have worked with him to smooth out his delivery and will likely do so.  You are right, I like his insight and I'm trying to be patient with his delivery.

He is LOADS better than California.  That was unlistenable.   He is the future of cycling commentary

2014-07-16 8:55 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Anyone else disappointed that Nairo Quintana is not riding this year?  

2014-07-16 9:08 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by crowny2

He is LOADS better than California.  That was unlistenable.   He is the future of cycling commentary

I think there's hope for Christian, but in addition to polishing his delivery they really need to keep an eye on time. He just goes on, and on, and on....

Bob Roll makes up for it!   I love the look/smile when he finishes saying something smart.  He is really polished and I can't believe he started out that way.

On the topic of being too nice - I was thoroughly disgusted by the commentary after the crash between Cavendish and Gerrans.  He was "just trying to make room"???  Cav's the only guy in the sprints that makes the aggressive head butting move and this is not he first time he's caused an issue by it.  I guess he is paying the price this time with a serious injury, but they need to look into the rules or something if that's an acceptable move.    Maybe I am biased, but since Cav's first tour I have been really turned off by his immature pouting and bullying. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tour de France Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Who will win the Tour De France Pages: 1 2

Started by kleinrider
Views: 2660 Posts: 42

2005-07-02 8:02 AM dorkboy

Official: Lance Retiring after Tour de France

Started by mnewton
Views: 661 Posts: 1

2005-04-18 3:46 PM mnewton

track 05: tour de france

Started by autumn
Views: 586 Posts: 1

2004-10-07 10:07 AM autumn

Tyler Hamilton Foundation presents the Tour de France

Started by Sharkie
Views: 802 Posts: 6

2004-07-03 12:20 PM keepitup

Tour de France Pages: 1 2

Started by BigBoy
Views: 1832 Posts: 28

2004-07-06 6:26 PM kimj81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?

date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.