General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High-Calorie Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-10 11:05 AM

New user
Subject: High-Calorie Nutrition
I'm training for Rev3 Full Rev coming up 9/7 and find I could use some additional calories on the run portion of long bric's > 60 mi bike followed by > 12 mi run. I eat peanut butter sandwiches on my bike ride, but would like to know if anyone uses a high-calorie nutritional supplement such as Nestle's Boost (see below link) to increase energy and performance on the run. My Garmin 910XT says I'm burning over 2000 calories on the bike and over 1600 calories on the run.

http://www.nestlenutritionstore.com/departments/supplemental-nutrit...

2014-07-10 12:19 PM
in reply to: mhollobow

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: High-Calorie Nutrition

Popular "high-calorie" nutrition choices tend to lean toward sports gels, chews and bars for long distance training and racing. This is because they are formulated to be easily digestible and are convenient to carry.

Another option a lot of folks use is Infinit, an all-in-one drink that provides all of your calories, carbs, protein, caffeine, etc - and is completely customize-able. I have a mix that is 250 calories per hour and keeps me from feeling hungry throughout an IM-distance race. 

2014-07-10 12:53 PM

User image

Miami
I don't recommend you ingesting lots of calories during the run as it may be difficult to digest them and you may get GI. Usually (standard height and weight) you should be fine with 350 cals/hour on the bike and 150 cals/hour on the run.

For IM and long bricks I usually stick with 1 bonk breaker for each of the first two hours on the bike and then I switch to gels (1 per 50-60 min) + 750 ml of sports drink per hour. On the run, I eat 1 gel every 5 miles and less volume of sports drink. Also, I drink water both during the run and bike as it helps wit digestion. More solid nutrition the farther I am from the run and more gel/liquid the closer I am to or during the run.

Is there any specific reason why you want to use high-calorie nutrition?
2014-07-10 12:56 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Some combination of gels & sports drink are the typical solution on both the bike & run.  Remember that you are NOT looking to replace all the calories you burn.  You are looking to maintain glycogen levels (carbs/sugars) so that you can continue to efficently burn fats.  Most athletes will take in about 200-400 cal/hr on the bike and 100-250 cal/hr on the run.  This is a broad range (and some will fall outside of it), which is why it's a good idea to play around with it some during training. 

2014-07-10 3:27 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

New user
The reason I feel like I need more calories is a vague energy-depleted feeling when I start my run. Granted the high temps & humidity in a VA summer contribute, but I feel like I need a few more calories. Right now I'm eating peanut butter sandwich chunks on my bike with Amino Vital to drink, while I use Hammer Gel to eat on the run with Amino Vital to drink. A few times I've stopped to get a 20 oz ginger ale and candy bar at the end of my bike ride. This seemed to give me more energy, but I suspect that's not the ideal approach.
2014-07-10 4:35 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by lisac957

Popular "high-calorie" nutrition choices tend to lean toward sports gels, chews and bars for long distance training and racing. This is because they are formulated to be easily digestible and are convenient to carry.

Another option a lot of folks use is Infinit, an all-in-one drink that provides all of your calories, carbs, protein, caffeine, etc - and is completely customize-able. I have a mix that is 250 calories per hour and keeps me from feeling hungry throughout an IM-distance race. 

I have a custom Infinit mix as well, but take in 420/hr and has a smidge of protein and a smidge of caffeine.  Works for me.

2014-07-11 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Originally posted by mhollobow

A few times I've stopped to get a 20 oz ginger ale and candy bar at the end of my bike ride. This seemed to give me more energy, but I suspect that's not the ideal approach.

There's nothing wrong with a little soda after the bike. The sugar and caffeine can give a good boost. WTC serves flat Coke at most of the aid stations. I sip a bottle of Sierra Mist when starting the run portion of a long brick, and stash a bottle in my T2 bag for IMs. It keeps my energy levels up and helps calm down any stomach issues.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High-Calorie Nutrition Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM post-training nutrition: Calories in vs Calories out?

Started by timmzilla
Views: 1061 Posts: 7

2013-02-11 7:47 PM dkahns51

Calories, HR and nutrition: what do I need?

Started by BLT1115
Views: 1214 Posts: 4

2012-12-18 5:31 PM coxma22

calories and more calories

Started by zaugfear
Views: 1078 Posts: 4

2012-05-01 5:31 PM ZenMaster

How many calories burned in a HIM?

Started by Murph
Views: 1084 Posts: 9

2007-08-08 4:14 PM swiss tri

Getting your calories in drink form during an ironman

Started by magik611
Views: 1664 Posts: 23

2007-07-10 10:47 AM dgunthert
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Resources you can trust to improve your endurance sport diet

date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?
date : February 4, 2009
author : mrakes1
Marni will show you how to make your own delicious and nutritious wrap that is light on calories but high in protein and nutrients.

date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.

date : October 9, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 2
This article gives instruction on using all the nutrition log features to count your daily calories from foods eaten.
date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
You know what you should eat. Yet you just don’t want to. Yuck—whole wheat bread, bran cereal, oatmeal, skim milk, spinach, fish, fruit for snacks and desserts.