General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those of you with both Road and Tri Bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-07-10 12:58 PM

Subject: For those of you with both Road and Tri Bikes
Tried searching but couldn't find the answer I was looking for, so forgive me is this has been discussed a million times.

What do you find yourself using the Road bike for?

I just finished my first Sprint last week after coming back from a bad knee injury and had a blast, definitely addicted now and looking forward to stretching it out to eventually an IM.

My question is, I have a relatively new road bike that I love, and I have a newer Tri bike. I don't ride in groups all that often because, well, there aren't all that many around southern Vermont that I have found. I find myself only riding my tri bike these days because I've been training and I really don't see much need to keep my road bike around, but I also know enough the more bikes = gooder.

So school me BT, what should I be doing with my road bike?

2014-07-10 1:02 PM
in reply to: FellaGuy

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: For those of you with both Road and Tri Bikes
I ride mine when my Tri bike is on my trainer or I will take it to my cabin to ride up there.
2014-07-10 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

I use mine for group riding, bike racing, and when I want go ride in the mountains.  I can't imagine trying to descend switchbacks on a TT bike. 

2014-07-10 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

Road bike I prefer when doing lots of climbing, recovery rides or 100+ miles. My personal preference.

2014-07-10 1:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

- I commute to work on my road bike.

- My wife and I ride our road bikes for lazy "just riding" rides.

- On days where she has a specific bike workout and I don't, I sometimes tag along on my road bike while she's on her tri bike - forces me to work 40-50 watts harder than if I was on my tri bike riding with her.

- I do the occasional road race or group ride that requires it.

Edited to add the last point.

Edited by axteraa 2014-07-10 1:23 PM
2014-07-10 1:24 PM

User image

I use my tri bike for triathlons and time trials.  That's it.  This year I probably have around 6000 miles on my road bike, and about 200 miles on my tri bike.

ETA: I've put lots of miles on my tri bike before, so I'm pretty used to the position.  My longest race on the tri bike this year was a 40k TT, so not really something i need to get a lot of miles on that bike for.  If I was doing a HIM or longer, then I probably would do one ride a week on the tri bike just to get my neck accustomed to staying down for a longer period of time...but that's the only reason.

Edited by Jason N 2014-07-10 1:27 PM

2014-07-10 1:26 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I use my road bike for long Z2 rides, hard group rides where I know I'll be drafting 90% of the time, and rough weather rides (rain for example).  

2014-07-10 1:33 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Bronze member

I primarily ride my tri bike outside in spring and summer. In fact I sold my original road bike because I used the tri bike so much I didn't think I would miss it. WRONG. Ended up buying another road bike. Tri bike on the trainer all winter was not very comfortable.

I use the road bike more in the Fall and it is on the trainer all winter. When my tri bike is at the shop for maintenance I am always so happy to have a back up.

2014-07-10 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
I ride a road bike 98% of the time. I had a Epic mountain bike and road it maybe 10% of the time, but I sold it recently... but on the lookout for a single speed. I use the TT bike for races, testing equipment or changes and do short time trials to gauge my fitness progress on the TT bike only. And the race results tell me if I'm going in the right direction. Otherwise, I know whether I'm getting fitter or not on the road bike and I know that there is about a 2 mph delta from the road bike... so I just know what I'm going to do anyways... it's just hitting my power intervals for Z4 and higher stuff, or staying with HR zones for everything else.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2014-07-10 2:00 PM
2014-07-10 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
I would have to agree with most that I use my road bike about 95% of the time. I guess part of it is I like the fact that it's not a terribly "light" bike nor has the best parts so when I'm training on it I feel like I'm putting in some good work and by the time I get to my TT I feel like flying........just my .02.
2014-07-10 2:21 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I use my road bike for all group rides, long rides and most of the mountain rides (even if I do them solo). I use my tri bike for interval training and for racing.

2014-07-10 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I've got 3 road bikes, a single-speed mountain bike with drop bars, a gravel bike, and a tri bike that are all "in rotation". The tri bike gets maybe 1% of the total mileage (just enough to acclimate to the position, and whatever event I'm actually racing). I've only raced one tri a year the last several years, so the tri bike doesn't get a lot of use. But I have in the past used it almost exclusively.

As for what "you" should be using the road bike for? Riding! just like any other bike. Each has it's niche, and if your personal repertoire of riding doesn't include that particular type of terrain or just doesn't interest you so much, that's okay.

2014-07-10 2:47 PM

User image

Exton, PA
I put about twice the mileage on my road bike every year that I do on my tri bike. My tri bike is much nicer, but I don't ride it in groups very often so it just does not get as much use. Also my road bike goes on the trainer and is used for commuting to work(4 or 5 days a months).
2014-07-10 2:58 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Long Island, NY
Originally posted by trigal38

I primarily ride my tri bike outside in spring and summer. In fact I sold my original road bike because I used the tri bike so much I didn't think I would miss it. WRONG. Ended up buying another road bike. Tri bike on the trainer all winter was not very comfortable.

I use the road bike more in the Fall and it is on the trainer all winter. When my tri bike is at the shop for maintenance I am always so happy to have a back up.

X2
2014-07-10 3:40 PM
in reply to: Jayabusa

New user
Key West
I only use my road bike on the trainer. The Tri bike goes outside for my outdoor rides. Not doing much of either these days though.
2014-07-10 3:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by Jason N
I use my tri bike for triathlons and time trials.  That's it.

+1 (if I had a road bike that is)

2014-07-10 3:46 PM

User image

over a barrier
I use my road bike for all my rides. Only use a TT bike for triathlon or a TT.

2014-07-10 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I have a tri bike and two road bikes.  My tri bike only gets ridden once a week and for races.  My less nice road bike stays permanently on my trainer.  My nice new road bike gets used for hill riding and more fun riding.

A nice road bike just rides better than a tri bike.  Tri bikes aren't generally super comfortable to ride in comparison.

2014-07-10 3:54 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Tri bike is my main training bike if I'm out there by myself.  Always use it for races.

Road bike is for group rides, riding with my family, and touring like on RAGBRAI.

2014-07-10 3:54 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I have four bikes that I ride (at least semi) regularly:

Fixie - commuting bike - almost all riding from Sep-Jun
Road bike - most summer riding plus any group rides I do and road races
Tribike - triathlons, TTs and a handful of other rides
Cyclo-cross - most riding that isn't commuting after tri/road race season

Shane
2014-07-10 6:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
I have one road and one TT, they each get about 50% of my miles. I work an hour away from home so I leave the road bike at the office and have it as an option for training four days during the work week. The TT stays at home and is available for rides on the weekend.

2014-07-10 7:19 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
I have an older road bike with clip on aerobars and a newer tri bike.

I ride the roadie 90% of the time, and ride the TT a couple weeks before a race so I get used to the more aggressive aero position. It's smaller and faster than my road bike and a lot of fun, but I prefer to train on my road bike. Like another poster said, my roadie is my work horse, is heavier and bulkier than the TT bike, so I'd prefer to train on that and race on the lighter one!

Also, whenever we travel to the mountains or the beach or I'm doing an exceptional hilly ride (Mt. Lemmon or up in Flagstaff) I always bring the roadie.

I like having the option. Right now the roadie is on the trainer and the TT bike is hanging in the garage with 2 flat tires. Just haven't gotten around to changing them yet.

Still recovering from a crash so not too interested in getting back outside yet, but putting in a lot of time on the trainer!

I'm looking into getting a Cyclocross bike to do more commuting and trail rides, but my husband questions the need to have another bike - of COURSE I NEED another one :-)!
2014-07-11 5:21 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
My tri bike is on the trainer full time. I only ride it outside on race day. Outside, I am on one of my other bikes. Cross for shoulder seasons, bad weather, commuting, and I often take it to the cabin or on road trips. Nice days, I ride one of my road bikes, or am on the MTB.
2014-07-12 1:04 PM

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
During the winter months, I ride my road bike 100% of the time on the trainer. During the warmer months, I only use the road bike for group rides (probably 20%-25%).
2014-07-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: LJonesCPA

48 Hours ago I was questioning whether or not I needed two bikes, after stopping by my LBS today to pick up a few tubes, I walked out with a few tubes....and a third bike. Killer deal on a Boardman Elite Air/Sram RED. Shop guy convinced me to take it for a spin (Didn't take much) and now it's mine. I may be developing a problem. So thanks BT for convincing me to spend even more money!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those of you with both Road and Tri Bikes Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Question for those who own a road and Tri bike Pages: 1 2

Started by DLR1
Views: 2077 Posts: 42

2011-07-01 9:30 PM waupaca11

Questions for those with both a road and tri bike

Started by zionvier
Views: 823 Posts: 13

2010-01-19 9:20 AM JohnP_NY

Do you train on a road or tri bike? Pages: 1 2

Started by rjp7204
Views: 2364 Posts: 35

2009-09-23 12:04 PM Donskiman

Bike Question, planning on competing in a 70.3 next year (Road or Tri-Bike)

Started by cecjap
Views: 1259 Posts: 5

2009-08-17 9:13 PM little_blaine

That killer Q everyone faces...road or tri bike Pages: 1 2

Started by gazelle5333
Views: 3292 Posts: 34

2009-03-13 9:36 PM gazelle5333
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : February 3, 2009
comments : 0
On my road bike after 45 minutes, I develop pain between my shoulder blades. It still persists unless I am on my tri bike.
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Team BT
There was a long run from the water to the transition area at the London Tri but I quickly found my bike and headed out onto the road.