General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WTC Rolls out a Full Refund Policy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-14 3:32 PM
in reply to: cialome

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: WTC Rolls out a Full Refund Policy

Originally posted by cialome  They are rolling in money, to some extent they should since they made the investment. But not off the backs of the lifestyle. There are others ways of doing this - just like many, many of the other programs they have rolled out or attempted to roll out. The company seems first, then the "benefit" for the rest of us. 

Oh c'mon.....it's not that special.  They make money by putting out a product that people want to participate in.  I guess "the color run" is a lifestyle, huh?  How about those people immersed in the "tough mudder" lifestyle?  Triathlon is not special, or particularly difficult, or any more of a "lifestlye" than any other pursuit that attracts people to participate.  Nobody is making any money off your lifestyle's back.....you simply choose to participate and pay. 

2014-07-14 5:31 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Veteran
You are correct on Ironman Foundation - I was speaking of the "community" of triathletes.

You lost me at cookies though, not sure where that fits in.

2014-07-14 5:38 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by cialome  They are rolling in money, to some extent they should since they made the investment. But not off the backs of the lifestyle. There are others ways of doing this - just like many, many of the other programs they have rolled out or attempted to roll out. The company seems first, then the "benefit" for the rest of us. 

Oh c'mon.....it's not that special.  They make money by putting out a product that people want to participate in.  I guess "the color run" is a lifestyle, huh?  How about those people immersed in the "tough mudder" lifestyle?  Triathlon is not special, or particularly difficult, or any more of a "lifestlye" than any other pursuit that attracts people to participate.  Nobody is making any money off your lifestyle's back.....you simply choose to participate and pay. 

I will disagree, and most folks in my tri club find it to be a lifestyle. I have not found a tough mudder club to ask, but perhaps I am missing that. I believe I did mention IM produceds a product, and they are worthy of a profit. No disagreement there.

Beyond that, you don't see it as a lifestyle, and you find doing a full/long distance race "easy" - good on ya then - we won't find much to agree upon. Personally, I love the challenge of three sports and seeing where it takes me. I have modified a portion of my life around it.

In any case, my post was around the topic of the insurance and any reasoning around it. I don't see it as valuable for the long haul.

2014-07-14 6:35 PM
in reply to: cialome

User image

Pro

Originally posted by cialome
Originally posted by Left Brain

Oh c'mon.....it's not that special.  They make money by putting out a product that people want to participate in.  I guess "the color run" is a lifestyle, huh?  How about those people immersed in the "tough mudder" lifestyle?  Triathlon is not special, or particularly difficult, or any more of a "lifestlye" than any other pursuit that attracts people to participate.  Nobody is making any money off your lifestyle's back.....you simply choose to participate and pay.triath 

I will disagree, and most folks in my tri club find it to be a lifestyle. I have not found a tough mudder club to ask, but perhaps I am missing that. I believe I did mention IM produceds a product, and they are worthy of a profit. No disagreement there. Beyond that, you don't see it as a lifestyle, and you find doing a full/long distance race "easy" - good on ya then - we won't find much to agree upon. Personally, I love the challenge of three sports and seeing where it takes me. I have modified a portion of my life around it. In any case, my post was around the topic of the insurance and any reasoning around it. I don't see it as valuable for the long haul.

So does the person who golfs, the person who runs dog trials, the person who does show jumping for horses, and on and on....and they all pay someone to put on the events.  So far as I can tell, only people who do triathlon think they are special....and somehow taken advantage of by WTC.  As it stands, WTC puts on the best event for your precious long course races....but it's hardly done on your back. 

As for your comments on insurance.....it's insurance....some people pay for it, some don't....it won't make or break WTC.  It was probably implemented to help stop some of the whining.

2014-07-16 11:02 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

Originally posted by Marvarnett

Here is what I don't understand.

How is pregnancy covered under this policy? This policy is for an unforeseen circumstance that prevents you from participating. Last I checked pregnancy is not unforeseen.

That's like saying I am going to have a tooth removed or some other elective surgery to get my money back.

And what I've heard from most RD's is that regardless of the size of the race 10% of people DNS.

Really? You've never heard of an unplanned pregnancy? Woman registered for a march race in march. In October she gets pregant unexpectedly. How is this not unforseen? Comparing that to a tooth removal or elective surgery seems apples and oranges.

It's still a choice is my point. The person chose to become pregnant hence they should not get a refund. Whether it was planned or not. Military deployment: not a choice. Injury: Not a choice. Pregnancy: Choice.
2014-07-16 11:25 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

Originally posted by bcagle25

Looks like WTC has made a giant step in the right direction by giving the option for athletes to receive a FULL refund for SELECT IRONMAN and 70.3 events. Of course it comes with a price tag ($90 insurance) but it definitely opens the doors for many options for athletes. Smart business move on WTC's part to still do good business while giving more quality options for the athletes. Still waiting for the details to come out, but this along with the transfer program show WTC is starting to listen more.

WTC could rescue a box of puppies from hurdling over niagra falls and people will find some reason to complain about them..."Oh great, now someone's going to have to adopt and pay for all these dogs. They'll probably wind up selling them to reap even more profit."

Man, this company can do no right by some people. Man, if you don't want to race with them, don't race with them. The level of hate leveled at a business for making money boggles the mind. It's not as if they're selling a product that one cannot live without. It's a triathlon, you don't have to participate(and this is coming from a lower middle income, supposedly capitalistic hating, profit hating bleeding heart liberal).

^^x2.

2014-07-16 4:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Here is what I don't understand.

How is pregnancy covered under this policy? This policy is for an unforeseen circumstance that prevents you from participating. Last I checked pregnancy is not unforeseen.

That's like saying I am going to have a tooth removed or some other elective surgery to get my money back.

And what I've heard from most RD's is that regardless of the size of the race 10% of people DNS.

Really? You've never heard of an unplanned pregnancy? Woman registered for a march race in march. In October she gets pregant unexpectedly. How is this not unforseen? Comparing that to a tooth removal or elective surgery seems apples and oranges.

It's still a choice is my point. The person chose to become pregnant hence they should not get a refund. Whether it was planned or not. Military deployment: not a choice. Injury: Not a choice. Pregnancy: Choice.

Wow. I'm not sure if you understand exactly how pregnancy occurs if you say that a woman chooses to get pregnant.

If accidental pregnancy is a choice, you could argue that overuse injury is also a choice. You can't get an overuse injury if you don't do anything athletic. You're choosing to do the activity that gets you injured.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-07-16 4:28 PM
2014-07-16 4:34 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Overall I think the WTC refund policy is a good one.

I'm not sure why so many people get so bent of shape about WTC's registration fees being an "unfair cash grab". It's economics-- they charge what the market will bear. They also want people to think of the registration as a commitment and not something they can easily get out of. Their policy seems fair to me overall. They don't owe us anything as triathletes-- the "lifestyle" argument doesn't make any sense to me. If we don't like the fees, we can do other races. There are still some races that don't sell out quickly that people know they can register for later.

2014-07-16 7:02 PM
in reply to: Marvarnett

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WTC Rolls out a Full Refund Policy Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Pros restricted to WTC or non-WTC events?

Started by maximyus
Views: 993 Posts: 4

2012-06-20 4:18 PM TriSte

Title IX - changes to policy Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2426 Posts: 33

2006-10-09 8:43 PM sue7013

IronMan Registration Fee Refund Question

Started by charlie
Views: 674 Posts: 4

2006-01-10 8:54 PM 3558

Commercial User Policy Addition.