General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing 1st IM with a possible back-up Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-10 9:04 PM

Subject: Choosing 1st IM with a possible back-up
For 2016 (the year I've decided to do a full IM) I am debating between a few different options. I want something scenic in a great community, but I need something that isn't going to kill me (as in not finish). I've looked at IM Canada and Cour d'Alene as my first choices, but I know they are not the easiest courses. If you had to choose, which would you do for your first?

Secondly, would it be completely silly to sign up for a back up race (perhaps IM Arizona?) in case I don't finish. I don't want all of my training to go to waste if I cannot finish Canada or CDA. It would be 4.5-3.5 months after the first.

2014-07-10 9:48 PM
in reply to: clumsyrunner14

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Choosing 1st IM with a possible back-up

Give us a little more detail on your situation and I'm sure BT can give you some opinions on race choices.

- which month of the year works best for you?
- what's your weakness (swim / bike / run)?
- where do you currently train?
- how flexible is your budget?

2014-07-10 10:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Re the second question, no. Just psychologically don't go into your first with the idea of a DNF backup in the back of your mind. Think positive. If you don't finish, you'll get into another one.

on the first question as noted it depends. I've done IMAZ and Canada. Canada was spectacular. IMAZ was my first, it was great in that respect but the course is meh Eta just because a course is flat does not mean its easy

Edited by ChrisM 2014-07-10 10:36 PM

2014-07-11 6:05 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

You must be wealthy.

IMO, no backup with 2 years to get ready.  Just plan for the race and train for the race.

If you are doing a hillier IM like CDA, just hill train.  It isn't so hilly that it is brutal.  Just hilly for an IM.  As long as you take it easy up the hills and have the correct gearing. (compact crank with a 12/27 or 12/30 cassette) you'll be fine.  Unless you live in a pancake flat area.  Then just sign up for AZ.

2014-07-11 7:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

You just can't beat IM Canada when it comes to scenic beauty.  I did it last year and I'm going back again this year (I even transferred out of Couer d'Alene to do so).

IMCDA is also a very scenic course from what I hear but just not as nice as Whistler.

IMC is more challenging on both the bike and run.  IMCDA probably a more challenging swim due to the colder water temps.

IMCDA is more of a travel pain in the butt.  While the nearest airport (Spokane) is actually closer to CdA than Vancouver is to Whistler, the Spokane airport is small and there's pretty much no direct flights and rental car choices were lacking.  I actually made reservations to fly into Seattle.  The direct flight to Seattle plus drive to CdA would have been equal travel time as flying from Houston to Spokane via a connecting flight in Phoenix or Salt Lake City.

Direct flights to Vancouver make getting to Whistler pretty easy.

CdA accommodations are very expensive.  They don't poach and fleece athletes as bad as Lake Placid but it's still pretty bad.  Expect to pay resort level prices for far less than resort quality hotels.  You could also rent a house but that's cost prohibitive unless you're going with a bunch of people.

Accommodations in Whistler are also not cheap but at least you're getting resort quality for that resort price.  Way more hotels and condos available in Whistler and they're all nice and modern thanks to the 2010 Olympics.

2014-07-11 10:43 PM

Thank you for all the replies so far!!! I always fear the worst so I worry that something bad will happen. Nothing short of catastrophe will keep me from crossing the finish line.

As to my ability, I am a swimmer and a runner first so I guess my bike is the weakest discipline. I don't live in the hilliest of areas, but I have plenty of hills in San Diego to ride.

Ideally I am looking for something scenic and special. I'll train for whichever race I choose, I just don't know what will be right

And no I'm not rich. I'm young with no real expenses, and I save everything I don't need to spend

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing 1st IM with a possible back-up Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

For those that use HIM as IM tune ups

Started by peewee
Views: 1895 Posts: 5

2011-06-09 9:00 AM kenbert61

1st HIM Orlando, FL May 2010, 1st IM October 2010 Great Floridian

Started by [email protected]
Views: 1258 Posts: 4

2009-10-27 10:46 PM carlwithac

Choosing my First IM

Started by klauser
Views: 1528 Posts: 12

2008-11-13 9:25 PM darkmage88

Help with Choosing an IM plan...

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 1615 Posts: 10

2008-06-17 12:06 AM ChrisM

Choosing an IM race

Started by Sassafras
Views: 907 Posts: 4

2007-04-12 7:46 PM southwestmba
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?