General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ran a bit right after riding, Geez! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-11 12:29 AM

User image

, Louisiana
Subject: Ran a bit right after riding, Geez!
Up to this point all my riding swimming and running have been separated by at least a couple hours or a day. I usually do 2 things each day, a swim and a ride or a swim and a run. Today, Did 21 miles on the bike, at a 19 mph, which is a good clip for me ( just started riding a month ago, and today was the end of the 6 weeks post hernia surgery, Doc told me to take it easy), put the bike on my carrier and switched shoes, maybe 3 minutes have gone by and I tried to run. I felt like I had tree trunks for legs. The legs felt great, like I could squat 600 lbs, but they did not want to go anywhere fast. This must be the reason behind practicing the transitions. Is this a normal feeling and will I get better. Because my run time is going to be really bad. Should I have training days where I put all three together? Do a Tri in training?

2014-07-11 5:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Ran a bit right after riding, Geez!
Yes, it's normal.

Unless you're doing stupid long sessions, the only reason to do bricks is to get used to the dead leg feeling.

That said, doing a home grown tri is a good way to get an idea what it's all going to feel like prior to race day.

(edit)Now you have an idea of how good the people at Kona are actually when they run 6 minute miles after the bike

Edited by DanielG 2014-07-11 5:30 AM
2014-07-11 5:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Yes, quite normal to have jelly legs when transitioning from bike to run. Both transitions bring discomfort, but I've always thought this was the hardest transition to make, much more so than the swim to bike. I'm not sure about having "tri" training sessions, but a I believe "bricks" (bike and run workouts) are fairly regular part of triathlon training. I say that because the swim is not fairly represented among the three, it is quite short in duration compared to the run and bike. And, swim to bike utilizes two wholly different sets of muscles. For those reasons, swim training and bricks are usually sufficient preparation for your first triathlon.

Edited by Motivated 2014-07-11 5:34 AM
2014-07-11 6:28 AM
in reply to: jareed58

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jareed58
I felt like I had tree trunks for legs. The legs felt great, like I could squat 600 lbs, but they did not want to go anywhere fast.

You may be surprised. What feels really slow isn't always so. Time yourself at one point. One problem some people have is they feel they are going slow, they are not and the overcook the first part of the run, especially for longer distance.

One advantage of doing bricks is you get used to the feeling and what feels "normal"
2014-07-11 7:50 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by jareed58
I felt like I had tree trunks for legs. The legs felt great, like I could squat 600 lbs, but they did not want to go anywhere fast.

You may be surprised. What feels really slow isn't always so. Time yourself at one point. One problem some people have is they feel they are going slow, they are not and the overcook the first part of the run, especially for longer distance.

One advantage of doing bricks is you get used to the feeling and what feels "normal"

This ^^ On long course events I always have to pay close attention to my watch to make sure I'm keeping my pace down for about the first 1.5mi. That being said I don't think bricks are very beneficial in training except maybe a couple real short bricks leading up to a race to work on getting your T2 time down.
2014-07-11 8:52 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

I do a few bricks in the couple of weeks before a race. It doesn't feel nearly so hard after doing a few of them. Also, I found that getting a smooth, relaxed swing with my arms when I start the run helps me get over the heavy feeling quicker.

2014-07-11 10:23 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

, Louisiana
I did a run again today after a 25 mile ride and, you are right, what seems slow, ended up at the top end of my run training pace, not race pace but pretty close. Amazing, and the longer I went the easier it seem to get.
2014-07-12 3:13 PM
in reply to: #5024304

davenport, iowa
Marcaq hits the nail on the head. After transition my first mile is always crazy fast and its hard to settle into a good pace because of the dead legs feeling. I almost always over correct and definitely don't to enough brick work. Time yourself for sure.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ran a bit right after riding, Geez! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Does Computrainer run on a 64 bit system?

Started by vonschnapps
Views: 765 Posts: 3

2012-06-02 4:05 PM AdventureBear

slacked for a bit then ran fast???

Started by brooksinc1976
Views: 819 Posts: 8

2011-11-03 9:06 AM Samyg

Outside Magazine: interesting tid bit on increasing run performance Pages: 1 2

Started by trix
Views: 2564 Posts: 39

2010-08-03 1:24 PM tkd.teacher

Training advice-my run bites

Started by denny.l
Views: 1516 Posts: 17

2008-07-11 1:05 PM tcovert

a bit discouraged - running/ankle pain?

Started by roxcar
Views: 1965 Posts: 8

2006-09-08 1:27 PM cobannero
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : December 19, 2008
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : May 30, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on weightloss, 'Diets' for athletes, eating before a long ride or run, the right sugars for training and iron supplements.
date : April 14, 2008
Since my last marathon (October, 2007), the area below my right kneecap towards the outside of my leg (but not the ITB) aches every time I run, especially afterwards.

date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?