Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Recreational kayaking/Teach me everything. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-12 12:30 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: Recreational kayaking/Teach me everything.

I'm looking for a kayak.  NO big whitewater is in my future, but I wouldn't mind being able to go down some 'faster' moving rivers.  I'm leaning towards an inflatable, but I could be talked out of it-transportation isn't an issue.   I'd like to dream about simple overnight adventures-not multiday excursions.  Discuss! 

Thanks in advance. 

2014-07-13 9:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Recreational kayaking/Teach me everything.

Hey Jeff,

I got an inflatable 2 years ago for a multi day trip-   http://www.sevylor.com/QuikPak-K5-Kayak-P2140C41.aspx

Pros:

-Of course it's great that it can deflate so you can put it in a closet. Great for apartment living

- really comfortable, i actually fell asleep in it one morning and was almost late for work.

-It's durable. I was hesitant about if it would pop but the bottom is actually a heavy enough material that I've dragged it over pavement, rocks, etc and it's been perfectly fine.

cons:

-it's a bit slower than regular kayaks. I call it the water turd. Kayaking with other people is a pain because I have to paddle so much harder to keep up

-even when it's deflated it's still kinda big. You can get ones that fold down even smaller but they're upwards of 1000 bucks.

So if transportation and space aren't issues, I'd actually opt for a regular hard shell kayak. Have fun, it's great cross training.

Edited by trijamie 2014-07-13 9:37 AM
2014-07-13 10:53 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Well if you're not going to do whitewater then you have 3 basic options: an inflatable, a sit on top, or a traditional sit in kayak. I have a nice sit on top that I really enjoy. Like an inflatable it is not as fast as a sit in but it is somewhat more stable, easier to self rescue and you can dangle your feet over the side in the nice cool water. The one I have has plenty of water tight storage room for an overnight or short camping trip and unlike an inflatable the storage is within the body of the kayak so you won't lose it if you flip or encounter rough water. It also makes an excellent platform to fish from, the wider body and open design give you more freedom to move around. The downside vs a sit in is, as I said, it is not as fast and does not cut through rough water as cleanly. Also you can't use a spray skirt so in rough water you will get some water in the cockpit but this has never posed a problem for me. Mine was pretty pricy at 2k but you can get ones much cheaper and do some upgrades as time goes by. Looking at a sit on top vs an inflatable the big downside is storage space but then again you don't have to blow it up whenever you want to use it. If you are planning on going by yourself from time to time I would suggest getting a dolly (unless you get an inflatable) as they make transporting from your vehicle to the water much easier and better for the boat. If you've never kayaked before I would suggest a kayak class. They will teach you the proper technique for paddling, turning, ferrying and such. They should also teach you a few self and buddy rescue techniques. Whatever you decide to get have a blast and remember to be safe on the water!
2014-07-13 8:56 PM
in reply to: trinnas

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Thanks, Jamie & Kate!  Definitley a kayak class in the future.  Over and over I hear inflatables don't track very well. This is important, so I may have to rethink the inflatable route.  However, I've heard the Advanced Elements kayaks track pretty well.

2014-07-14 10:41 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

My experience has been with sit-on-top kayaks (SOT).  I currently have two and have had a couple others over the years.  Generally, there is an inverse relationship between tracking and maneuverability.  Shorter kayaks are easier to turn and longer kayaks tract better.  I keep a 15' kayak at the coast which makes it easier to paddle long distances and a 13' kayak inland for rivers.   

2014-07-14 12:06 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Hey Jeff, you looking at the Boise and some of the Payette? I'd probably go for an inflatable. You could easily do the Boise or the Main (from Banks down to beehive) on the Payette. You could even do the South Fork of the Payette or the Cabarton if you want a little more white water. I've been down the South Fork and Main in an inflatable, tons of fun. I found it easy to maneuver and go where I wanted, definitely fun to drop one into a hole that is bigger than the kayak. 

I have a 10 man Maravia raft that I use on the Payette but have always kinda wanted an inflatable kayak for going solo. Either way it is a great way to escape the heat in Boise, just went on Sat, had a great time.

2014-07-14 2:54 PM

User image

Jeff we have 4 kayaks, all sit on tops. If cold water and cold weather kayaking is in your future you might want to consider sit insides. 

We have two Ocean Kayak, Scrambler XT's which are nice for scuba diving off of, surfing in on ocean waves and get around pretty well on flat water and in swift river environments. They are a bit slower, especially if you are going to kayak up stream/river. 

The other two we have are Ocean Kayak', Scupper Pro's they are pretty much worthless trying to surf in, unless rolling over in the surf is your goal. otoh they are faster in flat water and are pretty efficient to paddle up stream/river. They also have ample storage for overnight camping. 

Fishing is another fun activity off them.

If storage & transportation isn't a problem I would pass on the inflatable's for the reasons mentioned. 

We had two person dive yak inflatable which we enjoyed and it wasn't designed for touring at all. I would wager if you get the inflatables and enjoy kayaking you''ll progress to a hard shell eventually. 

Speaking of two person kayaks, our first kayak was a two person kayak,,,,,, later after we have sold it and got singles, I found out from an outfitter that they are called divorces boats.  

2014-07-16 4:29 PM

User image

, North Carolina
I wouldn't really want to be on a river with an inflatable. No telling what is in the water. Seems to be pretty easy to poke a hole in it.

There is a lot more that goes into boats besides sit on and sit in. There are different materials to consider. Different lengths to considers. Different styles to consider. How will it be transported. Fishing or no fishing?

Lots to think about.

Tons of options.
2014-07-19 8:41 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Thanks, Aaron

Yes, those rivers are in my future.  However, I'm more drawn towards Lucky Peak and some of the smaller mountain lakes.

I've got an Advanced Elements convertable in the shopping cart-I just have to get the courage to push "BUY". lol

How you been?  Doing any local stuff?

2014-07-19 8:44 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Cruz,

Thanks for the reply.  I really need a tandem so i can go out with my 12 yr old daughter.  As I told Aaron, I've got my eye on an Advanced Elements convertable.  Just gotta get the courage to buy it.

I may be down the Vegas way for Ragnar Relay in November.  What kind of weather can we expect?

Hope you and yours are well. 

2014-07-20 11:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by jeffnboise

Cruz,

Thanks for the reply.  I really need a tandem so i can go out with my 12 yr old daughter.  As I told Aaron, I've got my eye on an Advanced Elements convertable.  Just gotta get the courage to buy it.

I may be down the Vegas way for Ragnar Relay in November.  What kind of weather can we expect?

Hope you and yours are well. 

Regarding the inflatable from a durability standpoint I would feel very comfortable in an inflatable. I think you already mentioned this but you are giving up some maneuverability and speed. 

I think the downside of a two person is more related to spousal units than parent & lil ones.  

We bought an Ocean Kayak Malibu II Xl that we really liked, it was for a short term thing for us in Florida one year. The advantages of it was you could rig it as a one person or two person giving it better maneuverability and balance. Good solid stable boat, great for kids, you could probably even get in 1 adult and 2 lil ones if you wanted. It's not the fastest two person but it's not a barge either for as much stability as it has. If memory serves me it's pretty decent about coming in with with some surf. 

Weather in November can be cold/chilly in the morning and pretty comfortable in the afternoon. With that race that time of the year, I would say be prepared for swings on both ends of the weather spectrum,, low 40's possible probably not much over 80 in the hot part of the day. You can get some wide ranges in a 24 hr period. 

Thanks, hope all is well with you and yours too. 

2014-07-21 8:41 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Thanks, All!

Ended up pulling the trigger on a West Marine Scamper II. These boats are built by Advanced Elements and are best compared to the Lagoon II by AE.  The biggest difference is the open cockpit and the ability to convert it into a single boat.  I also bought the AE 'backbone" that most agree is very beneficial to the tracking capabilities.  I've got a couple weeks to get outfitted with PFDs and paddles.  I've also secured some lessons here in Boise.  Thanks to everyone for the advice.  jeff

2014-07-22 8:25 AM

User image

Originally posted by jeffnboise

Thanks, All!

Ended up pulling the trigger on a West Marine Scamper II. These boats are built by Advanced Elements and are best compared to the Lagoon II by AE.  The biggest difference is the open cockpit and the ability to convert it into a single boat.  I also bought the AE 'backbone" that most agree is very beneficial to the tracking capabilities.  I've got a couple weeks to get outfitted with PFDs and paddles.  I've also secured some lessons here in Boise.  Thanks to everyone for the advice.  jeff

Congrats Jeff, many hours of fun ahead for you and the family. 

Some things to consider, paddle leashes/tethers, a spare paddle, we tether just about anything that goes in the yak and if it's something that you want to keep from getting wet use two waterproof bags/containers. 

Have fun and post pics

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Recreational kayaking/Teach me everything. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kayaking builds strength...right? Pages: 1 2

Started by oipolloi
Views: 979 Posts: 36

2007-03-29 1:40 PM drewb8

"Recreational Runners"

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 1224 Posts: 25

2006-04-05 6:06 PM BodyCheck

Kayak

Started by rbschlesinger
Views: 620 Posts: 12

2006-03-31 5:42 PM deepbluesea

Around the united States in a Kayak & on a Bike

Started by crusevegas
Views: 589 Posts: 3

2006-01-04 9:03 AM dragoman

To teach or not to teach

Started by edgirl
Views: 1007 Posts: 8

2005-04-03 9:04 PM rkreuser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Alcohol and athletics is a dangerous duo. Serious recreational runners drink more than their sedentary counterparts. This article lists several of the negative consequences of alcohol.

date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
Replacing swimming with kayaking for your triathlon...FUN!

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).