General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Toe pain/New shoes suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-12 9:46 PM

User image

Subject: Toe pain/New shoes suggestions
My toe on my left foot hurts like hell when I bike. It starts small and then it hurts so bad I sometimes take off my show to massage my foot. It used to be after about 3 hours but now it hurts after only an hour. I went in for a fit and he noticed my left foot was all over when I biked (by a line laser) and he put on some spacers on my crank and some inserts for my shoes since my feet pronate. It may have made it worst but it's hard to tell. The laser looked way better and my left foot was not perfect but must more strait. Either way, I still have pain on the side of my big toe and it sucks.

I currently use a Giro size 46 shoe and there appears to be plenty of room in the toes. Enough for my toes to move but not too big. So my next thing to try is new shoes and to hope for the best. What are some shoes you guys like. I read some reviews for some but I can't seem to see anything that says X is better than Y because of Z feature. I'm looking for an entry level shoe ($100ish) since I don't know if this will solve my issue.

Do you guys think shoes would even solve my issue or should I look elsewhere?

2014-07-13 7:52 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Toe pain/New shoes suggestions
I ride on Sidi shoes and really like them, can't say on long rides I don't get some hot spots tho... This may be a difficult process of trial and error other than a single identifiable problem. I'm interested in what others chime in.
2014-07-13 8:28 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Best way to find proper bike shoes is by trying them on. Go to the biggest bike shop you have local and try lots on.

Is it just one toe that hurts? Or multiple toes?

What kind of pedals are you using?

I struggled with foot issues and by trial and error and process of elimination was able to determine it was a shoe fit issue that was made worse with hot weather so it was a compression of nerves. My discomfort went from feeling like ball of my foot was asleep traveling up a couple of my middle toes and over time it went from feeling asleep to more numb then pain. It didn't normally start until about 3 hours in.

After refit, new bike shoes x3, orthotics, I finally ordered custom shoes.

2014-07-13 9:03 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

What toe is it? I have small bunion on my pinkie toe, which compressed in the shoe can really be painful after a few hours. Could explain why you are also getting pain sooner too if it's getting worse.
2014-07-13 10:00 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
I was having some similar problems with the big toe of my left foot. I have a bigger callus on that side and have some nerve issues going on as well. I'm good for about 1 hour in my road shoes, but after that the pain comes and goes but gets progressively worse. I teach spin classes and found with my spin shoes (SPD clips), I was having the same problem. Those shoes are 9 years old, so finally went to the bike store over the weekend and got new shoes. Taught 6 times in them this week and while I can still feel it a little, it is MUCH better!!

In the summer it's worse since my feet swell with the heat. My tri shoes are a little larger and I don't get that issue. So maybe try on a bunch of shoes, they all fit differently, depending on the shape, size, biomechanics of your foot. Hopefully you can find a pair that works!!
2014-07-13 1:47 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Have you tried orthotics in your shoes? I use Superfeet yellow and they have helped me with foot pain while riding.

Also, have you tried rubbing your toes down with glide before long rides?

2014-07-13 4:02 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

More info on this. It's only one toe. It's the side of my big toe but it starting to make the tendon for that toe hurt a lot. I just did a 4 hour trainer ride today (shoulder is still mending from last week's bike accident). It did feel better today. I had to get off at 3:15 to get a water bottle from a cooler. That 1 minute break really made me feel better. My shoes don't feel too small. I'm using SPD-SL. When my tri bike was being worked on, I had to use SPD from my old road bike I haven''t used in years and that was all sorts of pain all over. Probably since I wasn't used to them.

I did notice something today. For whatever I sometimes lift my toes up on the upstroke. I noticed this more today and about hour 1...yup the pain was coming back. I used to think this helped but them I stopped doing that. Relaxed my foot as much as possible and I had a lot less pain. Of course this was inside and I still need to do an outside test but this could be one of the issues for me. I'd hate to spent $100+ for new shoes when I'm unsure if that's the issue. More so since they hit my feet great and it's only one foot causing the issue. My PM shows my left foot producing 51-54% of the power normally. It's hard to tell if this is true though since it's estimated L/R force.
2014-07-13 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by Blastman

I did notice something today whatever I sometimes lift my toes up on the upstroke. I noticed this more today and about hour 1...yup the pain was coming back. I used to think this helped but them I stopped doing that. Relaxed my foot as much as possible and I had a lot less pain.

I've had something that sounds real similar to what you are describing. Although it bothered me anytime I lifted my big toe. I got instant relief by taping my big toe. I kept it taped for 2-3 days and pain was gone.
2014-07-13 9:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

My pain goes away almost instantly once I put on my running shoes. I always look forward to the run due to this. Feels like I'm walking on pillows after a few hours of that.

Edited by Blastman 2014-07-13 9:13 PM
2014-07-14 7:15 AM

User image

Champion
MA

If you get orthotics and put them in your bike shoes, it will likely make your shoes smaller as they take up some extra volume which could make the issue worse if it is a shoe fit issue.  Normally your feet don't move within your shoes when cycling so a slight fit issue gets amplified. Why do you tend to move your toes on part of your pedal stroke?

Having the issue go away when you put on your running shoes or taking a short break shows something is up.

2014-07-14 8:22 AM

Union, Kentucky
I bought a pair of the Bont Riot shoes for something around $120 and really like them. You can heat mold them in your oven at home to fit your foot, and after doing that mine seem to fit perfectly. I'd recommend them if you try getting new shoes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Toe pain/New shoes suggestions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Suggestions for transferring cleat position to new shoes?

Started by axteraa
Views: 1405 Posts: 4

2012-05-22 8:30 AM axteraa

Running Shoe Toe Pain Question

Started by ditchdoc
Views: 1359 Posts: 10

2010-11-09 11:21 PM ditchdoc

SPD shoes - toe pain

Started by NDIrishO3
Views: 538 Posts: 1

2009-11-03 7:59 AM NDIrishO3

Suggestions needed for new running shoes?

Started by cecjap
Views: 976 Posts: 5

2008-11-26 2:30 AM DanielG

New shoes, new pain

Started by leila
Views: 1129 Posts: 9

2004-04-13 11:36 AM ccessex
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
Several strategies for coping with or preventing numb toes and feet
date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : September 25, 2009
After I have been cycling for about an hour the three middle toes on my left foot go tingly and then hurt like the blazes. Any clue as to what may be going on?
date : April 22, 2009
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : November 12, 2008
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?
date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : April 2, 2006
I have been noticing a pain in my left foot on my longer runs. It is focused on the ball part of my foot, almost a burning type sensation. Typically wiggling my toes around will get it to subside.