Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "Put something in the back seat that you know you WON'T forget, like your purse or your cellphone." Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-13 7:01 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: "Put something in the back seat that you know you WON'T forget, like your purse or your cellphone."
Every summer we see it on tv. Irresponsible parents leaving children in hot vehicles...often unintentionally, rarely it's intentional like this latest case making the news rounds. Obviously, sad stuff all around.

For some silly reason I happened to be channel-surfing and I caught a discussion on CNN...and it felt like I could have been watching "theonion.com news network."
Apparently, there is a movement to get alarms built into car seats to (here it comes) remind parents they have a child in their vehicle!

Is it just me getting old and (more) bitter that finds this absolutely ridiculous? Are people so self-absorbed and careless that they can't remember they have a small child in their vehicle? Sooo, what will fix the problem??? We need a law requiring sensors/alarms to remind (is careless or aloof the appropriate adjective?) people their child is still in the vehicle!

The most ridiculous part of the interview occurred with the response to this next reporter's personal story: The reporter tried to drive home how easy something like this can happen...why? Because it happened to her AND her husband AT THE SAME TIME! She explained going to a store or a mall with her husband, and by the time they were already in the store or mall shopping, they realized they had left their small child in the vehicle.

Okay, I still haven't delivered the kicker to the whole interview. Here was the pearl of wisdom from the CNN reporter...PLEASE let this be spoofed on The Jon Stewart Show or Colbert btw...it could be the show's ending "Moment of Zen"" I'll paraphrase because I don't have the transcript...but here goes:

"Put something in the back seat that you know you WON'T forget, like your purse or your cellphone."

ugh.

any thoughts out there?

2014-07-13 7:07 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: "Put something in the back seat that you know you WON'T forget, like your purse or your cellpho

Don't understand it either. When we had small children (even now when they are teenagers) our entire life's focus was on them. So much preparation and effort to get them in the car every day, how could you forget they are there? People would forget their infants before they would forget their cell phones? That's messed up.

2014-07-13 8:10 AM
in reply to: the bear

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: "Put something in the back seat that you know you WON'T forget, like your purse or your cellpho
I saw a similar report where they said the same thing (put something in the back seat you won't forget) and had the same thought. IMO If you can forget that you have children in the back seat, you have no business being a parent. I understand busy distracted lives, I was a single mother with a sick child who worked full time and went to night school, then on to law school. At no time was I too busy to remember my child or my responsibility to keep them safe. I don't get it.

2014-07-13 8:14 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Elite

Well.... come on.... cell phones are important. I mean like... you never forget your right arm right?

2014-07-13 9:27 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Bronze member

I've got it - make a feature for Siri to remind people that their child is in the car.  Jeez, messed up. For the record, I've left my purse at the mall and I routinely leave my cell phone in my van overnight. If I had to depend on those two suggestions we would be in big trouble by now.

My daughter is 6 and gets involved in coloring or something while we are in the van. When we get home if she is not finished she won't get out right away. The first thing I do is push the button to open her door then cue the suffocation in the van lecture "Get out of the van. The van is not a place to hang out" blah blah blah is what I'm sure she is hearing by this point .

2014-07-13 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Yes some people are extremely self-absorbed.

2014-07-13 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
The sad fact is that people are so self absorbed with their phones while driving too.
The other post that said that its time consuming to get your young child in the car, who could anything else matter ?
Even now, as my child - who is demanding for freedom - I have to wait while she climbs in and clicks her seat belt.
We sing a song and then and only after I recheck the belt, do we go.
The simple cruelty and depraved indifference of the latest story going around, saddens me.

Who doesn't love their child ? And if you don't, go to adoption, there are people who will.
2014-07-13 12:27 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

On my drive across the country this week I passed by a lot of those big illuminated signs that usually alert people about important traffic conditions or a missing person report. I saw no less than 10 of them that all reminded people not to leave children in the car, and I was very confused why it was so urgent that people had to be reminded of this, then I saw all the discussions on the news. I can't believe that people have to be reminded about that...

2014-07-13 12:47 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I'll be perfectly honest. I left my son (our oldest) at home alone... once.

He was around two, and was taking a nap. I remember discussing with my wife about whether of not she was going to take him with her when she went wherever it was she went. I got it in my head that Jacob was going with her so.... When I left to take my grandmother to a Dr appointment, Jacob got left at home asleep in his crib. I had gotten to the Dr, got grandma checked in and about 5 mins later it hit me... I broke some land speed records getting back to the house. I slid (literally) into the driveway about 5 seconds before my wife pulled up. She was wondering what was going on as I was rushing into the house. Luckily, Jacob has only just woken up and was still in the crib (he was VERY good at climbing out). I STILL get cold shivers over that entire situation and that was almost 13 years ago!

Even in that situation, I realized what was going on in a relatively short amount of time. I don't see how people can legitimately forget their children for the lengths of time it takes to die in a hot vehicle...
2014-07-13 5:40 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
At least he was home! I can see that happening - you were asleep AND you remembered - I once got locked out of the house when my son was asleep in his crib. We had just moved and we never lock the doorknob lock - only the deadbolt - he had locked the doorknob (was less than 2). Bad storm outside - I go to check shutters - thought we'd lost one - wind blew door shut - I'm locked out. I run to the neighbors - call locksmith they had someone at my house in 20 min (thankfully the boy was still asleep) but in the car - never

Whoever said it above hit the nail on the head - people are too absorbed in our phones - reading text email facebook (never BT) and walk away not thinking.
2014-07-14 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I think what's really needed is a car seat with a built-in meat thermometer.

2014-07-14 9:15 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Pro

As far as I'm concerned leaving a child in a hot car to die should be a death penalty offense, and if the child doesn't die you should have to give up your parental rights, because you are too stupid and self absorbed to have a child..   I'm not interested in people who won't be able to forget their phone or purse but can forget their own child.  Put 'em all in a bus and drive it off a cliff for all I care.

2014-07-14 10:13 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

If the last 25 years in medicine has taught me nothing it has taught me that people are stupid. REALLY stupid.  Already today I have had 2 demented people I needed to see.  One was dropped off from the nursing home and left in the lobby. No care giver or attendant no family member. WTF?  The other is not only demented but also speaks mostly spanish if you can get her to talk. Family 90  miles away.  She had an appt last week and was a no show, came the next day with no appt and I said sure I will see her but the person with her refused to fill out any paper work on her and they left. Come in today with a very nice nurse who at least appeared to care about this poor woman. 

So you will remember your cellphone but not your kid????? People are MESSED UP!!!!

2014-07-14 4:12 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I just read to put your left shoe back there (assuming you have an automatic).  No way your taking a step away from the car without a shoe.

Seems like solution that probably wouldn't help anyway.  If a person is SO paranoid they would leave their kids in the car that they would need to leave a shoe, purse, cell phone in the back seat to prevent it?  They would be the over protective/paranoid type that never WOULD leave the kid in the back seat in the first place.  It's really a solution the wrong demographic would use.

2014-07-15 12:34 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

I do have a viable idea or two, and it all centers around the child seat.

Supplemental restraint systems now use seat sensors and/or seat belt latch sensors to detect the presense of front seat passengers and uses that simple on/off info to activate/deactivate the passenger air bag. It is entirely plausible to equip child seats with either a weight sensor (although, I've been known to throw other things in the seat if Bethany's not with me...), or a latched belt sensor. The only thing that escapes me would be the "alarm" if you leave a child in the seat. The only thing I can think of, and the programming should be easy, would be for the horn to go nuts (like hitting the panic button on the remote) if certain conditions were met. It'd have to be something like:

1) Presence Detected: Yes
a) belt latched, or
b) weight sensor loaded
2) Vehicle Running: No
3) Doors Closed: Yes
4) Doors Locked: Yes

Once the conditions were met, the car would go bat crap crazy until one of the conditions no longer applied.

Of course, I'm all for the punishment fitting the crime, especially in these cases!
2014-07-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by WebFootFreak I do have a viable idea or two, and it all centers around the child seat. Supplemental restraint systems now use seat sensors and/or seat belt latch sensors to detect the presense of front seat passengers and uses that simple on/off info to activate/deactivate the passenger air bag. It is entirely plausible to equip child seats with either a weight sensor (although, I've been known to throw other things in the seat if Bethany's not with me...), or a latched belt sensor. The only thing that escapes me would be the "alarm" if you leave a child in the seat. The only thing I can think of, and the programming should be easy, would be for the horn to go nuts (like hitting the panic button on the remote) if certain conditions were met. It'd have to be something like: 1) Presence Detected: Yes a) belt latched, or b) weight sensor loaded 2) Vehicle Running: No 3) Doors Closed: Yes 4) Doors Locked: Yes Once the conditions were met, the car would go bat crap crazy until one of the conditions no longer applied. Of course, I'm all for the punishment fitting the crime, especially in these cases!

I was reading an article where they were talking about devices that have been created to detect a kid left in the car, but they won't go to market. One of the reasons is that no one will buy it. As they said, no parent wants to think they would leave their kid in the car and thus would never buy the product. So no one will bring it to market. 

The article interviewed a man who's kid was left in the car and died. He had an alarm on his car that kept going off. He would look down and see that nothing was wrong with his car and turned the alarm off. 

2014-07-15 2:16 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I'll admit that when I got to work this morning I left both my wallet AND cell phone in my car.

*GASP!!!*

Good thing I don't take my daughter to work...

2014-07-15 2:32 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
This Sunday we went to Walmart (ugh) and it was pretty hot. After I got my 2 year old out of the car, which somehow I remembered to do, I noticed a toddler sitting in the car next to me. Tinted windows up, no parents around, nothing. The kid looked around 3-4 years old. I got back in my car, again with the kid which I was so lucky to remember to do, put the AC on and called the cops. While I was on the phone the man and woman came out and got into the car. The officer told me not to confront them and that he had their info ( I gave it to them).

At what point do you act? I could barely see the little girl in that car with the tinted windows, she just happened to catch my eye and I couldn't believe that after everything on the news someone would leave their kid in the car in this heat. Granted it was only a few minutes, but it doesn't matter. In total it was probably 5-7 minutes by the time we pulled in, got our kid out, walked by their car, saw the kid in there, debated calling, and talking on the phone to the cop and who knows how long she was in there before we got there. Do you wait around for a few minutes then try to open the door? Tell people around you so it's obvious you're not breaking in? Obviously if you see the kid in pain or something you act quicker, but in this case she was just sitting back there but it was pretty hot out so it had to be smoking in there.
2014-07-15 2:42 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jonD81 This Sunday we went to Walmart (ugh) and it was pretty hot. After I got my 2 year old out of the car, which somehow I remembered to do, I noticed a toddler sitting in the car next to me. Tinted windows up, no parents around, nothing. The kid looked around 3-4 years old. I got back in my car, again with the kid which I was so lucky to remember to do, put the AC on and called the cops. While I was on the phone the man and woman came out and got into the car. The officer told me not to confront them and that he had their info ( I gave it to them). At what point do you act? I could barely see the little girl in that car with the tinted windows, she just happened to catch my eye and I couldn't believe that after everything on the news someone would leave their kid in the car in this heat. Granted it was only a few minutes, but it doesn't matter. In total it was probably 5-7 minutes by the time we pulled in, got our kid out, walked by their car, saw the kid in there, debated calling, and talking on the phone to the cop and who knows how long she was in there before we got there. Do you wait around for a few minutes then try to open the door? Tell people around you so it's obvious you're not breaking in? Obviously if you see the kid in pain or something you act quicker, but in this case she was just sitting back there but it was pretty hot out so it had to be smoking in there.

You did the right thing.  When you come across a situation that requires you to take stronger action you'll know it.  The "what should I do if" advice is never worth a damn.  You will be judged on the totalilty of the situation at hand.  It's always better when you can explain your actions based on what your heart and mind told you should be done, not what you read or heard somewhere.

2014-07-15 4:43 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by jonD81

This Sunday we went to Walmart (ugh) and it was pretty hot. After I got my 2 year old out of the car, which somehow I remembered to do, I noticed a toddler sitting in the car next to me. Tinted windows up, no parents around, nothing. The kid looked around 3-4 years old. I got back in my car, again with the kid which I was so lucky to remember to do, put the AC on and called the cops. While I was on the phone the man and woman came out and got into the car. The officer told me not to confront them and that he had their info ( I gave it to them).

At what point do you act? I could barely see the little girl in that car with the tinted windows, she just happened to catch my eye and I couldn't believe that after everything on the news someone would leave their kid in the car in this heat. Granted it was only a few minutes, but it doesn't matter. In total it was probably 5-7 minutes by the time we pulled in, got our kid out, walked by their car, saw the kid in there, debated calling, and talking on the phone to the cop and who knows how long she was in there before we got there. Do you wait around for a few minutes then try to open the door? Tell people around you so it's obvious you're not breaking in? Obviously if you see the kid in pain or something you act quicker, but in this case she was just sitting back there but it was pretty hot out so it had to be smoking in there.

If it were me, I'd yell in my loudest, deepest voice possible, "WHOSE CAR IS THIS?" If there's no response, and I'm seeing that kid in there, it's time to act. Call 911, get the door and/or window open...any means necessary.
2014-07-15 11:19 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
Originally posted by jonD81This Sunday we went to Walmart (ugh) and it was pretty hot. After I got my 2 year old out of the car, which somehow I remembered to do, I noticed a toddler sitting in the car next to me. Tinted windows up, no parents around, nothing. The kid looked around 3-4 years old. I got back in my car, again with the kid which I was so lucky to remember to do, put the AC on and called the cops. While I was on the phone the man and woman came out and got into the car. The officer told me not to confront them and that he had their info ( I gave it to them). At what point do you act? I could barely see the little girl in that car with the tinted windows, she just happened to catch my eye and I couldn't believe that after everything on the news someone would leave their kid in the car in this heat. Granted it was only a few minutes, but it doesn't matter. In total it was probably 5-7 minutes by the time we pulled in, got our kid out, walked by their car, saw the kid in there, debated calling, and talking on the phone to the cop and who knows how long she was in there before we got there. Do you wait around for a few minutes then try to open the door? Tell people around you so it's obvious you're not breaking in? Obviously if you see the kid in pain or something you act quicker, but in this case she was just sitting back there but it was pretty hot out so it had to be smoking in there.
If it were me, I'd yell in my loudest, deepest voice possible, "WHOSE CAR IS THIS?" If there's no response, and I'm seeing that kid in there, it's time to act. Call 911, get the door and/or window open...any means necessary
. Wow. There were two adults and they BOTH had to go into Walmart, leaving kids in a sealed car? What shopping decision at Walmart requires two adults? When we are with our dog on the road (can we call her Bootydog?), we take turns going into stores/gas stations/ rest stops, so the dog isn't alone. Usually one of us is walking her while the other is taking care of business. We recently took a longer road trip and took 25 minutes to have lunch, sitting at a window where we could monitor the truck. We left the truck running with the AC on. (Ok - no comment on greenhouse gases...) Granted, our dog does not have apposable thumbs, so she isn't going to try to drive off (but she is a border collie, the thumb might be her only impediment) - you shouldn't do this with kids.....

That said, I have given myself a scare. BootyDog goes to daycare while I am at work about once or twice on some weeks. Very irregularly, and the route to work does no change. One day, I did drive all the way to work, and parked, and turned to get my computer from the back seat, and oops. Hi doggie. Forgot to stop at the daycare. I had to think - if I had not put my computer in the back seat - would I have noticed? My heart skipped a beat, but I would like to think so. Now, there is a sheet on the front seat and that is where BootyDog sits, so I cannot be too judge mental of the title warning on this thread.

2014-07-16 7:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy  If it were me, I'd yell in my loudest, deepest voice possible, "WHOSE CAR IS THIS?" If there's no response, and I'm seeing that kid in there, it's time to act. Call 911, get the door and/or window open...any means necessary.

Holy crap, was this you?? Crowd smashes window of car to rescue kid that was left inside while Mom got a haircut:

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2014/07/15/caught-on-video-crowd-breaks-into-hot-car-to-rescue-children/?hpt=ac_mid

Edited by trijamie 2014-07-16 7:26 PM
2014-07-17 8:08 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by jonD81 This Sunday we went to Walmart (ugh) and it was pretty hot. After I got my 2 year old out of the car, which somehow I remembered to do, I noticed a toddler sitting in the car next to me. Tinted windows up, no parents around, nothing. The kid looked around 3-4 years old. I got back in my car, again with the kid which I was so lucky to remember to do, put the AC on and called the cops. While I was on the phone the man and woman came out and got into the car. The officer told me not to confront them and that he had their info ( I gave it to them). At what point do you act? I could barely see the little girl in that car with the tinted windows, she just happened to catch my eye and I couldn't believe that after everything on the news someone would leave their kid in the car in this heat. Granted it was only a few minutes, but it doesn't matter. In total it was probably 5-7 minutes by the time we pulled in, got our kid out, walked by their car, saw the kid in there, debated calling, and talking on the phone to the cop and who knows how long she was in there before we got there. Do you wait around for a few minutes then try to open the door? Tell people around you so it's obvious you're not breaking in? Obviously if you see the kid in pain or something you act quicker, but in this case she was just sitting back there but it was pretty hot out so it had to be smoking in there.

Scary! Especially because you have no clue HOW LONG the kid had already been in the car! I would have done what you did, but if the kid looked to be passed out or in distress, I would have broken the window. I'm not sure why any parent would do such a thing! 

2014-07-17 8:11 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by trijamie

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy  If it were me, I'd yell in my loudest, deepest voice possible, "WHOSE CAR IS THIS?" If there's no response, and I'm seeing that kid in there, it's time to act. Call 911, get the door and/or window open...any means necessary.

Holy crap, was this you?? Crowd smashes window of car to rescue kid that was left inside while Mom got a haircut:

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2014/07/15/caught-on-video-crowd-breaks-into-hot-car-to-rescue-children/?hpt=ac_mid

Awesome. They did the right thing. I will say that I wouldn't break someone's window unless I had some guys backing me up, or the cops behind me. I'd be afraid of some person trying to beat me up for doing it. 

2014-07-17 11:56 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Originally posted by KSH

Originally posted by WebFootFreak I do have a viable idea or two, and it all centers around the child seat. Supplemental restraint systems now use seat sensors and/or seat belt latch sensors to detect the presense of front seat passengers and uses that simple on/off info to activate/deactivate the passenger air bag. It is entirely plausible to equip child seats with either a weight sensor (although, I've been known to throw other things in the seat if Bethany's not with me...), or a latched belt sensor. The only thing that escapes me would be the "alarm" if you leave a child in the seat. The only thing I can think of, and the programming should be easy, would be for the horn to go nuts (like hitting the panic button on the remote) if certain conditions were met. It'd have to be something like: 1) Presence Detected: Yes a) belt latched, or b) weight sensor loaded 2) Vehicle Running: No 3) Doors Closed: Yes 4) Doors Locked: Yes Once the conditions were met, the car would go bat crap crazy until one of the conditions no longer applied. Of course, I'm all for the punishment fitting the crime, especially in these cases!

I was reading an article where they were talking about devices that have been created to detect a kid left in the car, but they won't go to market. One of the reasons is that no one will buy it. As they said, no parent wants to think they would leave their kid in the car and thus would never buy the product. So no one will bring it to market. 

The article interviewed a man who's kid was left in the car and died. He had an alarm on his car that kept going off. He would look down and see that nothing was wrong with his car and turned the alarm off. 

I didn't realize (although I'm not surprised) that something like that has been developed. I'm thinking more along the lines of something integrated into ALL car seats. That way you get the reminder whether you want it or not.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "Put something in the back seat that you know you WON'T forget, like your purse or your cellphone." Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Having my Won't Back Down moment!

Started by eabeam
Views: 1494 Posts: 12

2012-10-04 2:47 PM NXS

Drug Use....know anyone put out for this? Pages: 1 2

Started by shawn barr
Views: 2586 Posts: 26

2010-06-23 9:49 PM cottoneyes

tell us something we don't already know Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by autumn
Views: 4215 Posts: 125

2006-11-10 10:15 AM MomX3

Didn't know where to put this.

Started by Wookiee
Views: 718 Posts: 10

2006-04-24 8:32 AM Scout7

cycled into work today, forgot something...

Started by TonyWhit
Views: 829 Posts: 4

2005-07-01 3:40 PM tupuppy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?
date : August 5, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Is your bike seat uncomfortable? Are your parts going numb? This article discusses the important concepts of bicycle seat neuropathy, treatment and prevention.

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Seated Bicep Curl – Alternating Dumbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 22, 2006
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Seated Crunch-Twist strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Seated Row Machine-Overhand Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video

date : June 18, 2006
Seated row machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video