General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Way or the Tri Way Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-13 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: My Way or the Tri Way
I am looking to pick up an event without a run (hip replacement surgery late last year after being hit by a car) next month. There are lots of Aqua/Bike events but the My Way or the Tri Way in Aurora sounded interesting because I can do either a swim/bike/swim or bike/swim/bike.

Being from California I have never heard of the race.

I assume any swim that is not the first event is without a wetsuit.

If you have a whole bunch of people starting out on bikes at he same time does that create a log jam where drafting is almost impossible to avoid for some distance?

Any insights/thoughts/observations/warinings?

Thanks,

2014-07-13 3:54 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Subject: RE: My Way or the Tri Way
My Way or the Tri Way is one of my favorites. I've done the tri twice, and plan to do it again this year. Every year I try a different order, and a few years ago I chose the bike swim run order. There was no problem with drafting on the bike because there were only about 25 men who decided to do the bike first. I believe last year they decided to do a time trial start for those who started on the bike. One person started every 10 seconds. The swim and run starters all went off together. Perhaps they had more people starting on the bike last year.

I would definitely recommend the race. Very well organized, and lots of fun.
2014-07-13 4:25 PM
in reply to: robertbarker50

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Thanks Robert. When you did the swim second I assume no wet suit. How was that?

In looking at the results from last year it looks like about 70 people started on the bike. Maybe that was the impetus for the TT start.

Now if I can talk the wife in to it, I may see you there.
2014-07-13 4:35 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Correct. I haven't worn a wetsuit when I swam as the second or third leg of the race. The water was refreshing following a hard effort in the saddle, and pulling a wetsuit onto a sweaty body would have taken too much time. I counted the results from last year, and fewer than 30 of those who started on the bike were men. That's comparable to the year I started on the bike. Men and women start about 10 minutes apart, if I remember correctly.
2014-07-28 9:01 PM
in reply to: robertbarker50

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I did the event last year and really enjoyed it. Great course and well supported. I did the SBS and it was a nice change to not have to run

2014-07-29 8:39 AM
in reply to: Bonafide505

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
I did it last year in S/R/B order. I had no problems with water temp (no wet suit).

It's an amazingly organized race (especially when you think about all that is going on at the same time) - I highly recommend it.

2014-07-29 8:04 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Well I was able to work it out so I just signed up. It's S/B/S for me. Really looking forward to racing again. My daughter went to school in CO so I know the people will be great.

See you in 4 weeks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Way or the Tri Way Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Boy's First Tri - Tri The Rock

Started by bvfrompc
Views: 811 Posts: 2

2008-06-05 11:57 AM rayd

Ft. Collins Club Tri Roll Call

Started by TriForrestTri
Views: 1198 Posts: 15

2005-09-10 10:52 PM line

rattlesnake tri in denver 8.28

Started by mamaloj
Views: 756 Posts: 5

2005-08-24 4:23 PM luv2ride

Tri for the Cure

Started by swgtri
Views: 1326 Posts: 22

2005-08-06 4:47 PM swgtri

COLORADO: Boulder mini-mini-mini Tri for fun

Started by line
Views: 1468 Posts: 14

2005-05-12 6:32 PM line
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.