General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike check in question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-13 8:52 PM

User image

Subject: Bike check in question
Last year I did a HIM (Branded) and the Vineman race. Both of which did not require me to check in my bike the day before. I have a HIM next week and I'm supposed to check in my bike. Fine ok but the swim is point to point, so my bike will be 1.2 miles away from swim start. What's the normal procedure for my bike stuff? On my other races, I just brought everything with me but how do I get access to my bike to put my helmet, sunglasses, etc there? Do I drop this off during bike check in as well? Also a little worried about tire pressure. It's only one day since I last pumped it but I'd like to make sure it's where I want it. I rather not walk 2+ miles going to my bike and get to swim start if possible.

2014-07-13 9:34 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Bike check in question

yea you can just leave the helmet/sunglasses etc there with your bike the day before. I don't know if you tape gels to your top tube, but sometimes squirrels get at them in the middle of the night, so be wary of that. I don't suppose you'd have a friend or family member that could shuttle you over to the start do you? That could give you the opportunity to air up the tires.

2014-07-14 7:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Augusta 70.3 has the same set up. Transition is at swim finish, and because it's a downcurrent river swim, the swim start is 1.2 miles away. Bikes are required to be checked the night before.

That said, transition was still open the next morning so that you could set up your gear, air up tires, put your water/nutrition on your bike, set up running shoes, etc. The only thing I left the day before was my bike. I then brought everything else in my transition bag and borrowed someone else's tire pump.

I then walked 1.2 miles (though there were shuttles) in tennis shoes and carried my wetsuit to swim start where they had a bag drop area for anything you wanted to pick up after the race. I found that the nice morning walk was good for me before the chaos of being around 3000+ people at swim start ensued.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-07-14 7:19 AM
2014-07-14 7:48 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Drop your bike only the night before. Morning of go to transition and set up as usual. Check air pressure that morning, you may want to let air out the night before depending on how high you pump your tires.

Do the 1.2 mile walk to the start, it's no big deal. You probably pace that much in any other tri anyway.
2014-07-14 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
It varies a little by race. Check the race guide, I would be surprised if they don't give more specifics?

Having said that, typically you check in the bike the night before then bring the rest of your gear in the morning. As for pumping the tires, pumping them the night before is going to be just fine generally... although the usual stressed out triathlete (including myself) will prefer to pump them in the morning. You can bring one but I rely on the ones the organizers (bike maintenance guys) provide or occasionally borrow one. As to the 1.2 miles, I would be very surprised if they don't run a shuttle from T1 to swim start. The only one I'm familiar with that doesn't is Steelhead and there you have to walk down the beach to swim start (or at least you used to).
2014-07-14 12:21 PM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Exton, PA
If you pump tires the night before and have latex tubes you will lose anywhere from 10psi to 30psi over night.

If you don't use latex and pump it 5psi over where you like it, you should be good.

If you pump you're tire anywhere near the max and the morning sun hits your tire they can explode. Just saw(heard actually) about 20 people at Eagleman do that this year. Also seen at bike rides a lot, people pump to the max in their cool garage and after 10 minutes in the sun--BOOM!

2014-07-14 7:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Yeah I see nothing in the athlete guide about shuttles. Parking by T1 and walking won't kill me. I was thinking I'd park at swim start but parking by T1 would make way more sense. I just remember last year at my first HIM having to go back to my car 3 or 4 times because I kept forgetting stuff (who needs a wet suit... oh ...I do!). It was close to 4.5 miles I did in sandals before the race even started. I should be more prepared this time with way calmer nerves.

Edited by Blastman 2014-07-14 8:00 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike check in question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9199 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac

Pre-Race Bike Drop Off/Check In Question:

Started by taylorz13
Views: 1271 Posts: 9

2013-05-09 7:27 PM Dominion

Check in thread responders check in!

Started by 2453V
Views: 1201 Posts: 9

2012-03-30 2:01 PM 2453V

Check out my XXX bike pics!! Pages: 1 2

Started by nathaliemonique
Views: 2167 Posts: 33

2007-04-17 7:41 AM tritank

bike checked, ready to go!

Started by ccessex
Views: 639 Posts: 9

2004-05-02 9:14 AM umbach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.