General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice to prevent swimming goggles from getting foggy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-13 10:06 PM

Subject: Advice to prevent swimming goggles from getting foggy?
I normally do the spit method when doing lap swimming. Any suggestions for open water swimming? The last open water swim, I had to stop and clear the goggles before continuing and I wondered if anyone had a better method for keeping goggles fog-free during an open water swim. It seems ppl have varying thoughts on the effectiveness of the baby shampoo, anti-fog sprays and the spit method when it comes to lap swimming, but what about open water?

2014-07-14 12:22 PM
in reply to: Milala

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Advice to prevent swimming goggles from getting foggy?

I also usually use the spit method or anti-fog spray for pool swimming, but often find myself stopping to clear the goggles in open water.  Then, my last open water swim, I used a friend's anti-fog towelette just before the swim start and didn't have any problems at all.  They were called Foggle Anti-Fog Towelettes, and I just ordered some on Amazon :-)

2014-07-14 1:54 PM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

I wash mine out with dish soap the night before the race.  No issues at all. When I'm at the pool I'll rub soap on them (and rinse) also.

2014-07-15 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Try drying the area around your eyes and the inside of the goggles really well. The less moisture inside the goggles, the less chance of fogging.
2014-07-18 9:21 AM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

I brought a 99 cent bottle of Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo. I then add a bit into a spray container and mix it with water. The spray onto the goggle and let it dry. Good to go for at least an hour of swimming!

2014-07-19 6:43 AM
in reply to: JTNY

User image

Veteran
Central VA
+1 for baby shampoo

2014-07-19 7:33 PM
in reply to: #5025205

+2 on the baby shampoo- been doing this for over a year and has worked like a charm
2014-07-20 3:24 PM
in reply to: 0

Thanks all for the suggestions. I went with the dish soap, because I ran out of time and I wasn't able to buy the baby shampoo before my race. The dish soap worked - no fogging. Unfortunately, I didn't rinse enough of the soap out and ended up with stinging eyes for several minutes. Strangely, my goggles didn't adhere as well as usual so I ended up with water in my goggles initially... maybe related to the residual dish soap or just random bad luck. Anyway, I'm definitely going to try the baby shampoo method. At the very least if I leave too much on, it won't sting my eyes should my goggles fill with water.

Edited by Milala 2014-07-20 3:25 PM
2014-07-24 1:07 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Just wanted to ask a related question. I have my first tri coming up at the end of next month (OWS) and I wear black tinted swim goggles. Swimming in the lap pool, I have never experienced fogging; not sure if it's because of the tint and I can't tell or if the antifog rating is actually doing its job (mind you I have not ever sprayed them with anything, they are just optical antifog swim goggles). I am planning on doing one or two OWS practice days and can check this out but should I look into using the baby shampoo trick or should I not worry about it since I have not yet experienced any fogging? Thanks for any advise!
2014-08-02 6:47 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
You rub some spit on them, then you dunk them in the water - and empty.

Works for me.

Also, I use bigger goggles like the AquaSphere Vista that helps.

Little ones fog.
2014-08-05 3:17 PM

User image

Greenville,
I use TYR antifog lens cleaner. The trick is to not get the insides of the goggles wet once you wipe off the solution (in other words dont put them on the top of your head when you are taking a break.) Havent had a problem since!

2014-08-05 5:45 PM
in reply to: mchughmtsinai

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by mchughmtsinai

+2 on the baby shampoo- been doing this for over a year and has worked like a charm

^^^^
This
I have been using johnson's baby shampoo now for a several years and NEVER had fogging in a race. I don't use it always in practice swimming but before every race, a drop on the inside and outside before leaving for the venue followed by light washing/rinsing of the goggles at the race venue and Voila!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice to prevent swimming goggles from getting foggy? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Foggy Goggles

Started by jmk-brooklyn
Views: 1176 Posts: 5

2011-01-05 10:22 AM mmrocker13

foggy goggles.

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1265 Posts: 18

2007-08-30 3:34 PM gamebofh

foggy goggles

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 1322 Posts: 19

2007-07-24 9:25 PM vortmax

FOGGY swim goggles

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 704 Posts: 9

2005-12-15 3:20 PM bmacmanus

foggy goggles, foggy goggles, foggy goggles...

Started by aliengin
Views: 1366 Posts: 12

2004-11-20 12:16 PM Yoshiko
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
comments : 0
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.

date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!