General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tinted goggles? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-14 10:15 AM

User image

Utah
Subject: Tinted goggles?
This may be a DUH question, but I'm looking at replacing my goggles, (my faves are Aquasphere) and when ordering online I noticed they have a tinted pair. Would these be useful for the sun in your eyes on races? I've heard some say it makes things too dark and they aren't worth it. Anyone have an opinion? Are they helpful?

2014-07-14 10:19 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Tinted goggles?

I have clear, yellow tint and black tint goggles. I haven't used the black in a long time, the clear are best for the indoor pool and I use the yellow in OWS. The yellow is enough tint to cut the glare without making it hard to sight, the gray tint is a bit too dark and makes it harder to sight. I would likely use the gray tint if I trained in an outdoor pool where sighting was not as important.

The yellow goggles I have are aquashpere, I am happy with them and recommend them. 

2014-07-14 10:19 AM

I have them, and they're good for me. I bought them mostly to help with the sun and glare off the water - and for that they help. yes, they make things darker in the pool, but that's not why I bought them.
2014-07-14 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I have both blue tinted and clear goggles in my bag all the time.  I wear the tinted pairs most of the time, but will use the clear for early morning races where visibility would be a problem in the low light.

The only downside with the clear lenses has been races where the last leg of the swim is back towards the beach directly into the rising sun.

Mark

2014-07-14 10:35 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I've got Aquasphere Kayennes in clear, blue and the darked tinted variety. I can see well enough with the dark tinted, even swimming away from the sun. The blue tint is a happy medium and I've probably used those the most. Everyone's vision is different, mine's below average I would say and I'm fine with dark tinted.
2014-07-14 10:43 AM

User image

Originally posted by KatieLimb

This may be a DUH question, but I'm looking at replacing my goggles, (my faves are Aquasphere) and when ordering online I noticed they have a tinted pair. Would these be useful for the sun in your eyes on races? I've heard some say it makes things too dark and they aren't worth it. Anyone have an opinion? Are they helpful?

Thanks for "reminding" me. I also love AquaSphere (kid's size, but I'm 48 yrs old) cause I have tiny face/head and flat nose. I tried several goggles even the expensive ones but the water kept getting inside the goggles.

I'm training with black tinted goggles cause the pool is outdoors. On race day, the swimming portion is an indoor pool. I will use clear goggles per recommendations here. I wonder if I need to "break in" (train) with the clear goggles before the competition?

(aquasphere.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
aquasphere.jpg (20KB - 6 downloads)

2014-07-14 11:01 AM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Denver, CO

I'd practice with your clear goggles in an indoor pool once or twice.  It won't be much different but it can't hurt to make sure the clear ones are fitting right and you know what to expect.

To the OP, I have clear- and black-tinted AquaSpheres.  Just tried the tinted in the outdoor pool and loved them.  It was a cloudy day but there was still a bit of glare (I live in CO, where there's almost always glare).  I did an early morning OWS with blue-tinted and they worked great.  I lost them, though, so that's why I now have the ones I have (couldn't find any blue at local store and needed them right away).  Going to try the black ones at an OWS this weekend to see how I like them.  If they're too dark, I'll probably go back to blue.

2014-07-14 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

I have the Kayenne Smoke tinted goggles, use them both indoor and outdoor, they worked really well on the last outdoor race, very bright sun, I had no issues.

The lake was kind of poor visibility so I couldn't see the black swim lines on the bottom anyway :-)

They work well in the pool also, so as an all rounder I use these, I also have a pair of speedo's with really dark tints and almost mirror reflection on the outside, they are much darker than the Aquasphere ones and don't get used much at all since I started using the Kayenne goggles.

2014-07-14 11:04 AM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by Phebes
Originally posted by KatieLimb This may be a DUH question, but I'm looking at replacing my goggles, (my faves are Aquasphere) and when ordering online I noticed they have a tinted pair. Would these be useful for the sun in your eyes on races? I've heard some say it makes things too dark and they aren't worth it. Anyone have an opinion? Are they helpful?
Thanks for "reminding" me. I also love AquaSphere (kid's size, but I'm 48 yrs old) cause I have tiny face/head and flat nose. I tried several goggles even the expensive ones but the water kept getting inside the goggles. I'm training with black tinted goggles cause the pool is outdoors. On race day, the swimming portion is an indoor pool. I will use clear goggles per recommendations here. I wonder if I need to "break in" (train) with the clear goggles before the competition?

Aquasphere do their adult Kayenne and Kaiman in small fit sizes as well as the regular ones.  Haven't seen the small fit in the store, but just noticed they have them on their site.

2014-07-14 11:31 AM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

I have polarized goggles from TYR. They really help with visibility in OWS.
2014-07-14 11:42 AM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

Originally posted by dewybuck

Originally posted by Phebes
Originally posted by KatieLimb This may be a DUH question, but I'm looking at replacing my goggles, (my faves are Aquasphere) and when ordering online I noticed they have a tinted pair. Would these be useful for the sun in your eyes on races? I've heard some say it makes things too dark and they aren't worth it. Anyone have an opinion? Are they helpful?
Thanks for "reminding" me. I also love AquaSphere (kid's size, but I'm 48 yrs old) cause I have tiny face/head and flat nose. I tried several goggles even the expensive ones but the water kept getting inside the goggles. I'm training with black tinted goggles cause the pool is outdoors. On race day, the swimming portion is an indoor pool. I will use clear goggles per recommendations here. I wonder if I need to "break in" (train) with the clear goggles before the competition?

Aquasphere do their adult Kayenne and Kaiman in small fit sizes as well as the regular ones.  Haven't seen the small fit in the store, but just noticed they have them on their site.

I like the Kayenne, Ladies . Thanks.

2014-07-14 11:45 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Originally posted by laffinrock

I'd practice with your clear goggles in an indoor pool once or twice.  It won't be much different but it can't hurt to make sure the clear ones are fitting right and you know what to expect.

Yup, I'll practice with the clear once or twice so that it's already "adjusted" for race day! (6 weeks from now, my FIRST TRI!)
2014-07-14 4:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Great White North
WTF Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Those are kid sized? They look huge...

Wear Swedes... look fast...

Edited by simpsonbo 2014-07-14 4:29 PM
2014-07-14 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I'm not sure you can get "too dark" when the sun is in your line of sight. Ok, a welder's mask might be pushing it but I'm not confident that would work too well at keeping water out anyway. Smoke seems to be the best option and they typically aren't so dark you can't swim indoors or on a cloudy day with them as well. Not a fan of yellow as a lot of buoys out there tend to be orange and yellow and it can make it hard to distinguish between the two if used on the same course. 

2014-07-14 4:59 PM

User image

I am one of those people that needs to wear sunglasses when its raining out no question for outdoor swims. I wear them indoors just to make me look more hard core
2014-07-14 9:29 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

I have 4 sets varying tints. Clear for indoor use or low light and varying shades of tint depending on weather, time of day angle of sun etc. Some tris I've done the sun has only just come up so I've ended up using my clear goggles.

2014-07-15 4:08 AM

User image

i have 3 pairs of goggles

Speedo Rift Pro Mirror Goggles
Speedo Rift Pro Mirror Mask,

and Speedo Aquapulse Max Goggle

the Rift Pro Mirror are both tinted which in some cases are great if you have clear blue Water. if not i would stick to the Clear goggles, i find the Aquapulse very good and no leaks which are a good thing.
2014-07-15 8:09 AM
in reply to: davidfoley

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I have been using photo chromatic goggles that change tint depending on light conditions. They work really well and mean that I don't need multiple pairs (I carry 1 spare pair) and it doesn't matter if light conditions change during the swim because the goggles adjust.
2014-07-15 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I love my TYR Special OPs tinted lenses.
2014-07-15 11:36 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK I have been using photo chromatic goggles that change tint depending on light conditions. They work really well and mean that I don't need multiple pairs (I carry 1 spare pair) and it doesn't matter if light conditions change during the swim because the goggles adjust.

What brand?

2014-07-15 1:43 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by simpsonbo WTF Image and video hosting by TinyPic Those are kid sized? They look huge... Wear Swedes... look fast...

Exact pair I have in the picture....best ones yet!!!

2014-07-16 10:29 AM
in reply to: TriGuy05

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I have a pair of clear and tinted.  I bring both with me every time I swim.  The tinted work really well in the outdoor pool that I swim in.

For races I figure out where the sun is going to be and determine if I need the tint.  I prefer clear for most races just cuz I like to see better.

2014-07-16 12:23 PM
in reply to: #5025368

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
When I moved to FL tinted goggles were a must because the pool I swam at was outside. When you swim the backstroke the sun blinds you!

I live in TX now and still swim outdoors some. I've just gotten used to the tinted goggles (aquasphere is the best!!)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tinted goggles? Rss Feed