General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron - training to finish, last minute!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-14 2:52 PM

User image

Subject: Half Iron - training to finish, last minute!!!
A little background before I ask my question... This is my third season of triathlons. I did a few sprints and one olympic my first year. Last year I did a few sprint duathlons, a few sprint tris, one Olympic du, and ended the season with a 70.3 in Augusta.

It was my first half ironman last season, felt good about it finishing in 5:49:xx, and then I got in a minor car wreck 2 weeks later. This season has been my repair and recover season...rough. I've managed to do a few sprint duathlons/triathlons and one Olympic a couple of weeks ago. I'm not nearly as strong as I was last year (I had a coach last year though).

Anyway, early in the season I signed up for a Half-Ironman distance again (mid-August - a month away). I did my Olympic a couple of weeks ago, and I did alright, but my training volume is SO low this season. I needed to let myself have a life outside of tri for a season and recover a bit. I'm not sure I have it in me to do the 70.3 race that I'm registered for, but I don't want to lose my entry fee (yes, I'm cheap). Is it possible that I could spend the rest of the month training to finish and just do the race anyway?

It sounds lazy, but what is the minimum time needed to get from Olympic to Half-Iron distance - just to finish, not to race hard? Is it worth pushing myself, or should I just suck it up and not race?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Iron - training to finish, last minute!!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ISO last minute lake placid housing (non athlete)

Started by JoshKaptur
Views: 864 Posts: 2

2008-07-03 1:25 PM runnerx

IM WI mini-camp last minute details - input needed

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 2039 Posts: 9

2008-06-04 6:09 AM mndiver

IMWI: Last minute lodging help for a Jockstrapper

Started by tupuppy
Views: 653 Posts: 2

2007-09-04 9:51 AM oipolloi

Half-Iron to Full-Iron training transition

Started by neb
Views: 1206 Posts: 6

2007-05-27 8:16 AM mprevost

Half IM run training - minutes or miles?

Started by roxcar
Views: 1045 Posts: 3

2007-01-08 10:29 AM roxcar
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.