General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band 7 weeks to HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-14 5:33 PM

User image

Subject: IT Band 7 weeks to HIM
I recently (2 weeks ago) had ITBS took anti inflamatory, good stretching programme it did not go away. Does not hurt while running, but when i bike it is brutal after 1h30 of bicking. Got a new bike fit and seing a PT. Now i am 7 weeks from my first HIM and i dont know what to do, should i have a complete RICE or just forget about the HIM and posponed it to another time. As of today i would be ready but if i take off i am worried i will have problems in the hills in the bike portion. Anything you can say to help is more than welcome.

Edited by claude67 2014-07-14 5:47 PM

2014-07-14 7:10 PM
in reply to: claude67

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: IT Band 7 weeks to HIM

I have off and on issues with my IT band and what finally did the trick for me was rolling the crap out of it with a foam roller.  At least three times a day I would lay on the ground with the foam roller under my left hip, put all my body weight down and roll from hip to knee several times.  It hurt like a mother, but it helped. I also had my daughters roll my hip to knee with "the stick".  That also helped.  The rolling plus good stretching and some IT exercises took care of it.  I haven't had trouble for months. Oh, by doing the above, I alleviated the pain within a week. 

2014-07-15 7:05 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Thanks Kim, i started yesteday OMG what pain, did you still trained or stop completly.
2014-07-15 7:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Sorry to hear about the IT Band pain!

Happened to me last fall after I ramped up too quickly for a half marathon. Don't remember my exact timeline for a return to running but I did see a PT and it took some work to get better. For me, my main problems were inflexibility in my hip and glutes and a muscle imbalance (quads stronger than hammies) causing the band to tighten. I did a lot of stretching, some strengthening exercises and foam rolling as well as investing in a properly fitting shoe based on my run mechanics and have (knock on wood) been injury free since.

Listen to your PT - they should know best. From my understanding these injuries are generally a result of inflexibility / muscle imbalance so be sure to push your PT to help you identify the root cause so you can fix the problem and not just temporarily address the immediate symptoms.

Good luck. I hope you are back in action before your HIM. Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Edited by swimbikerun81 2014-07-15 7:38 AM
2014-07-15 9:48 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by claude67 Thanks Kim, i started yesteday OMG what pain, did you still trained or stop completly.

I took a few days off and started back slowly, made sure when I did train there was no pain.  Good luck...I think that HIM is totally still possible.

2014-07-15 10:12 AM

User image

I have IT band issues almost year round. Broke both of my feet (stress fractures) because I didn't take care of myself like I should have. FOAM ROLLER rocks!!! I cannot imagine living without it. It hurts so good, if you know what I mean. Also, I find that mine hurts way worse on brick days. I have eliminated big bricks from the bulk of my training months and just do a couple of longer ones closer to the date of my big race. Maybe that would help you a little? For some reason if I bike long, foam roll at night, and then get up in the AM and do my hard runs I don't seem to have as much trouble. I also ALWAYS do a series of warm-up stretches (dynamic) right before my track and tempo run days. Takes about 6 minutes so sometimes I rush but it does help. Good luck to you. Feel for you.

2014-07-15 12:04 PM

User image

I had the same issue before my HIM last year. Kim is right on with the rolling, it will help. I also went to chiropractor who specializes in ART therapy. Deep tissue massage for the tendons and ligaments. These both helped me to get thru the race. I did have some pain late in the race and for several days after. My ITBS was caused by running vs. the biking, so take it for what it's worth but I have been told that it should not cause further damage to train as long as you are careful. The key is to stop at the point it begins to hurt. For me that would be 3 miles some days and 4-5 others. Once you push past the point of pain it will then hurt for several days and set back your training again. So maybe do more shorter intense sessions on the bike.

Once you race is done I would try to figure out what is leading to this pain and make adjustments. I was definitely over striding and not activating my glutes and hamstrings. Spent a bunch of time on form over the winter and knock wood, have not had any issues this year. The key was looking at video of myself running. I was not doing what I thought I was. your issues might be increasing mileage too quickly, incorrect form or perhaps the fit.

Hope this helps and good luck. What race are you doing?
2014-07-15 4:10 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Originally posted by StevenC

I had the same issue before my HIM last year. Kim is right on with the rolling, it will help. I also went to chiropractor who specializes in ART therapy. Deep tissue massage for the tendons and ligaments. These both helped me to get thru the race. I did have some pain late in the race and for several days after. My ITBS was caused by running vs. the biking, so take it for what it's worth but I have been told that it should not cause further damage to train as long as you are careful. The key is to stop at the point it begins to hurt. For me that would be 3 miles some days and 4-5 others. Once you push past the point of pain it will then hurt for several days and set back your training again. So maybe do more shorter intense sessions on the bike.

Once you race is done I would try to figure out what is leading to this pain and make adjustments. I was definitely over striding and not activating my glutes and hamstrings. Spent a bunch of time on form over the winter and knock wood, have not had any issues this year. The key was looking at video of myself running. I was not doing what I thought I was. your issues might be increasing mileage too quickly, incorrect form or perhaps the fit.

Hope this helps and good luck. What race are you doing?

Interesting what you say about form. I would look into that for sure and I need to do the same. I think that may be my project for post IM this winter!
I also use longer strides and my glutes are under-developed according to my PT. I have heard good things about ART.
2014-07-15 4:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

You know when everything is going so well we tend to push it little bit more every week, the foam roller seems to work at least do something good after workouts. It is exactly what i started doing as soon as it hurts i stop, running is ok no pain while doing it, but it's the next day. Biking if i spin i am okay for an hour and half . My PT told me it was my lack of flexibility. I am doing muskoka sept 7th lots of hills but i am good climber ( well was before this itbs issue ). I will continu all these stretching, rolling. Thanks for all your support

Edited by claude67 2014-07-15 4:43 PM
2014-07-16 10:06 AM

User image

Originally posted by claude67

You know when everything is going so well we tend to push it little bit more every week, the foam roller seems to work at least do something good after workouts. It is exactly what i started doing as soon as it hurts i stop, running is ok no pain while doing it, but it's the next day. Biking if i spin i am okay for an hour and half . My PT told me it was my lack of flexibility. I am doing muskoka sept 7th lots of hills but i am good climber ( well was before this itbs issue ). I will continu all these stretching, rolling. Thanks for all your support

I hope you can get through this and continue your training! When I went to PT for 6 months (yes, it was awful) they told me I had major flexibility issues, as well as a week back/core. My abs looked strong, but it was the opposing muscles that had all the issues. I wish I could say I do everything they told me to do, but with IM training and 3 young kids I just don't have the time. Good luck and try to heed the advice of those trying to help you.
2014-07-17 9:04 AM

User image

North Vancouver, British Columbia
Originally posted by ingleshteechur

I have off and on issues with my IT band and what finally did the trick for me was rolling the crap out of it with a foam roller.  At least three times a day I would lay on the ground with the foam roller under my left hip, put all my body weight down and roll from hip to knee several times.  It hurt like a mother, but it helped. I also had my daughters roll my hip to knee with "the stick".  That also helped.  The rolling plus good stretching and some IT exercises took care of it.  I haven't had trouble for months. Oh, by doing the above, I alleviated the pain within a week. 

I had the same issue and did exactly the thing as ingleshteechur. I used to have frequent IT-band pain and the foam roller changed my life.

2014-07-17 10:33 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by claude67

I recently (2 weeks ago) had ITBS took anti inflamatory, good stretching programme it did not go away. Does not hurt while running, but when i bike it is brutal after 1h30 of bicking. Got a new bike fit and seing a PT. Now i am 7 weeks from my first HIM and i dont know what to do, should i have a complete RICE or just forget about the HIM and posponed it to another time. As of today i would be ready but if i take off i am worried i will have problems in the hills in the bike portion. Anything you can say to help is more than welcome.

I just recently had an IT band issue. My therapist suggested a combination of stretches, laying down, figure four position and gently letting your knee lower and turning your upper body and holding it.
Ice, obviously. Rolling a tennis ball on the afflicted area. and using Cryoderm/Biofreeze after a hot shower(skin absorbs it better)
I haven't felt it again since my treatment. Like you, I only felt it when riding.
2014-07-18 11:42 AM

User image

I wanted to give you a heads up on my progress, rolled the crap out of my IT band, saw my PT yesterday and she says i am back at 70 percent and we will know sunday after my big ride.
So again thanks for the great pointers and shared experiences it was very encouraging, now back to the foam roller.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band 7 weeks to HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

A week break in a 17 week program

Started by TexOma
Views: 954 Posts: 3

2008-05-11 11:00 PM Bripod

Essential week by week training guide by triathlete Magazine

Started by tri-dg
Views: 1001 Posts: 4

2008-03-30 8:00 PM tri-dg

Advice on 20-Weeks-to-Oly, rolling into half IM 4-6 weeks later

Started by Krakatoa
Views: 1370 Posts: 6

2008-01-02 11:53 AM Krakatoa

This week is a RICE week.

Started by Tri-FatBoy
Views: 918 Posts: 6

2007-11-04 12:14 PM globalchaos

Question about the ESSENTIAL WEEK BY WEEK TRAINING GUIDE

Started by gall1972
Views: 627 Posts: 2

2006-08-26 7:19 PM sappho96
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 5
I have this very annoying IT band pain in my left knee only. It comes and goes out of nowhere. Last year I had it and took three months off and now slowly started back up.

date : May 29, 2012
comments : 0
I have a tight IT band on my left leg, but my right knee's pain is in a slightly different area, more in the joint, on the outside of the knee. Is this still an IT band issue?
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?
date : October 3, 2007
The symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of iliotibial band syndrome caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band during activities like running.

date : November 27, 2005
comments : 1
My early (self) diagnosis was strained lateral ligaments, but I'm now wondering if it's an overuse injury affecting my ITB? Anyone have any experience in diagnosing this one?
date : October 26, 2005
author : mikericci
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.

date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.