General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coach or training site? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-14 10:07 PM

Subject: Coach or training site?
Hey all,

I'm a triathlete as of last week. I'm 18 and taking a year off from school to work, and I'll have enough time to train as much as possible. My goal is to train to complete an ironman, and run my best olympic tri that I can. I make $18 CAD an hour, so I was wondering if it would be in my budget to get a coach? Where do you find them? Or should I look into websites like trainingpeaks or kickerendurance?

2014-07-15 12:03 AM
in reply to: oz_

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Coach or training site?
Originally posted by oz_

Hey all,

I'm a triathlete as of last week. I'm 18 and taking a year off from school to work, and I'll have enough time to train as much as possible. My goal is to train to complete an ironman, and run my best olympic tri that I can. I make $18 CAD an hour, so I was wondering if it would be in my budget to get a coach? Where do you find them? Or should I look into websites like trainingpeaks or kickerendurance?

I'd suggest looking for a local club wher eyou can learn from experienced members. You might be able to afford a coach, prices range typically as low as $50 / month to as much as you want to spend. I think an average price is $150/month perhaps?

Before you put down money for a coach, I think ou shoud pick up some basic books (going long, gordo byrn is good, there are many others) and talk to local folks.

There are plans here too.

Of course I'm not addressing the question of doing an IM in a year at age 18. Certainly can be done, but if you are viewing tri as a long term adventure into your 20s, 30s, or longer, consider getting really good at Olympics this year and choosing one sport to "go long" like training specifically for a half marathon or marathon or a century ride or similar. Endurance athletes peak in their 30s & later. Young folks have a gift of speed and it'd be a shame to not make the most of it in my opinion.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coach or training site? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone use the markallenonline.com coaching site?

Started by bzvbtc
Views: 721 Posts: 6

2011-10-19 8:53 PM bzvbtc

Self Coach vs Training Plan vs Coach

Started by Flying Kiwi
Views: 1221 Posts: 9

2010-10-15 7:51 AM newbz

Training and Coaching Survey - Your help is needed!

Started by jvinciqu
Views: 681 Posts: 2

2007-08-30 3:06 PM jvinciqu

New Coaching Site

Started by Rocket Man
Views: 952 Posts: 5

2006-06-19 7:01 PM oipolloi

are there any mrathon training sites like this one

Started by golfinggods
Views: 687 Posts: 7

2005-08-09 8:30 PM possum
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.

date : October 17, 2004
author : infosteward
I want your tastes to be satisfied. I want you to feel like you’re coming home each Monday when you view the new articles uploaded to the site.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 38
Know how to get around BT. Some essentials on emails, passwords, pictures, login problems and more.