General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Vancouver International Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Subaru Vancouver International Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada
Subaru Western Triathlon Series
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/16
Pre-race routine:

Bagel and coffee for breakfast. Drove in with S and V; arrived at race site at 5:30. We found out there is barracks style accommodation for $28. We will be doing that next year.
Event warmup:

Got into our wetsuits and into the water about 15min before start. We watched the long course people and could see the tide/current was causing problems.
Swim
  • 32m 22s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

First leg to buoy was pretty good. A fair bit of contact, nothing too serious. I had no issues with breathing etc, I was comfortable from the start. Around the first buoy and was looking for next one. Our buoys were green, which is the worst colour ever. Hello, it's Vancouver, there are evergreen trees everywhere! Most of the field seemed to be heading towards the orange buoy, which was the half course. Same general direction, but 400m further out. I don't need any extra thanks. I took probably 30 seconds of slowing up to try and find the buoy. Spotted it, and picked out a landmark on the hill.

Got to the second buoy and made the turn. Back to the beach, yellow buoy so no problem with sighting, but the current was strong. I didn't realize it at first, but found that I was drifting; a lot. That, and the fact that the beach never seemed to be getting closer...Finally made it. Run up the beach and back in the water, making a mental note to aim left on the next loop.

The second loop first leg was pretty much a repeat of the first--except that the sprint athletes were now in the water and their buoy/turn was in the middle of ours. There were crossed paths and I saw some confusion, but made it through ok. The first buoy was moving with the current, so it made it tough to get to it and make the turn. There were a couple athletes that were having trouble and in my way, so I actually ended up going partially under the buoy--I grabbed the rope underwater to get around.

Made the turn around the second buoy, and was trying to use my same landmark...but this buoy had moved too. Thank goodness for all the head up swimming Kevin makes us do, because I used it to take the time to find the buoy. Turns out it had drifted so that now, it was right in line with the Spanish Banks point. Good for sighting, but made it VERY difficult to spot the buoy.

Made the second turn, and started heading very left of the buoy. I was sort of aiming about 100m offline. Turned out to be pretty good, as I ended up right on line with the current push. There was a permanent boat buoy out there, and it took me forever to get to it. Every stroke I took, I got pushed back by half. My plan was to push on this whole race, and boy, did I get to! I was not unhappy with my time, especially given the conditions.
What would you do differently?:

Well, figure out the current on the first lap. My Garmin map shows me very zigzaggy on the first loop, much straighter on the second. Otherwise, not too much.
Transition 1
  • 04m 14s
Comments:

I usually don't run up from the beach as my HR is high after swim, but today, I did a slow run. Had some trouble getting my wetsuit off my wrists, but the run to transition is long enough that I was able to get them off by the time I got there.

No problems with wetsuit off over the heels. Feet rinsed and socks and shoes on, helmet, glasses on, and off I went.

Run faster.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 21s
  • 40 kms
  • 30.63 km/hr
Comments:

I had raced the half last year, so I knew the course. My plan was to go relatively hard on the bike, not hammer, but a solid effort. A bit of a fitness test, and to see how I felt on the run. This was the race last year that I was hating being on the bike on the long slight uphill on the 'back' portion of the out and back. I wanted revenge on this course and I was hoping that all my work on my bike this year would pay off.

The first part of the course is flat--good for settling in a bit. Get to the bottom of the big hill and it seems smaller than last year...:) Got up no problem. Now there is a km or 2 of false flat, before the slight downhill of the 'out'. I got into a good cadence and kept it steady. I got passed by a lot of halfers, they were flying. Made the turnaround, and started back. And, yup, it was different this year. Again, kept a nice cadence. Passed quite a few people, including a woman I swim with. I felt good the entire way, unlike last year when I was questioning my sanity...

Got to the top of the hill and started down. There are a couple good curves on the hill; I stayed in aero where I could, but I am a bit cautious. I hit the steep part and I was on the hoods. What happened next happened quickly. A squirrel darted from the left side of the road. Now, those on that side of the road were climbing, so not much speed, and the little fellow was in no danger. But I hit 60km/hr going down that hill. He shot across my path, hesitated enough for his tail to flick and thankfully kept going. I really didn't even have enough time to hit the brakes; and good thing, because I would have certainly been hurt had I done so. I actually do remember having "Sorry little squirrel it's you or me" fly through my head as it all happened. I did, however, have enough time to shriek like a little girl. And then I giggled at myself the rest of the way down the hill...

Got to the bottom turnaround safely and headed back up. Second loop was uneventful and pretty much a repeat of the first.

Pretty happy with my effort.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Not much to say.
Run
  • 53m 15s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 20s  min/km
Comments:

Hot lah! Again, same route as last year. My plan was to push a bit. Again, testing fitness and seeing how I felt after working hard on the bike.

S had said that he was certain I could do a sub 3 hour. I wasn't totally sure, but was giving it a go and my swim and bike had set me up to do it easily. So now, I was going to try for a 51min 10km, due to another conversation with S and V.

Honestly, there was no real thought or plan to my execution. I just tried to run fast. Around 2.5km in, there is a small hill in the woods. I started up and gained on a young man. We ran side by side for some time. At about 3.5km, he says "I really want this to be over, guys!". I chuckled and said "Almost halfway". We chatted a little--it was his first olympic. We ended up running to about the 5km mark very close, and then he dropped off.

The second half is much more exposed to the sun and it was hot. I was hurting by about 5.5km. I knew when I hit the turnaround at 7.5km I would get a bit of a lift. And then, there at 6km was K and the little puppy. Yay, a boost! But, I still had to run 4 more km. Ok, 4km. That is, as S would say, for children. And, that was the start of the voices :)

I managed to get to the turnaround; I had walked a couple aid stations, but now I wanted to WALK. But the voice said "Don't walk. C'mon, chop chop. Finish up I am tired". That would be S on our training runs. But I have to stop and walk "No. No walking. Walking is for children". I checked my pace: it had not dropped off. So obviously, then, I didn't need to walk. It was just hard. Ok, I can do this. 8km. 9km. 1 more km. I tried to pick it up a bit, and I did. Finished strong, and well under 3 hours. I didn't make my 51min, but not far off.

Not a lot.
Post race
Warm down:

I did not feel 100% after this one. I wasn't sure what the problem was, but instinct said get cooled. I went and got an ice pack from medical and put it on my neck initially, then under my hat. That was the ticket. Felt better not too long later.
S had finished 10 min before me; he and I and Karen waited to cheer V in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pretty happy with my effort. Good test of fitness and a good confidence builder for IMC.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:22 | 1500 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Two loop triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:14
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:21 | 40 kms | 30.63 km/hr
Wind: None
Course: Flat out to "start" of course. Up a hill, then a long out and back. Out is slight downhill, back is up. Back down big hill, turnaround through parking lot, the second loop. Flat back to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:15 | 10 kms | 05m 20s  min/km
Course: East section along beach and forest trails; one portion of about 1km on the sidewalk. Some shade. Rolling. West section beach trail and mostly full sun; flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-15 1:02 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Subaru Vancouver International Triathlon - Olympic Course

2014-07-15 4:01 AM
in reply to: #5025766

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: RE: Subaru Vancouver International Triathlon - Olympic Course
Well done Kirsten. It seems that your training partner is really getting the best out of you. Top effort.
2014-07-15 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

AWESOME!!!!! You pushed through this one, really gave yourself a test and came out of it looking real good. I am so impressed with the effort you have put in this year, you shuld be pleased and proud of where you are now and how ready you are for the next one.

Congratulations!!

2014-07-15 9:35 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nicely done!  You're gonna rock IMC! :-)

2014-07-15 10:19 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Great job Kirsten! Blew that 3 hour time out of the water. Very strong run after a very solid bike split. Looking for for IMC!
2014-07-15 11:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Ah, dang squirrels!!  Glad it worked out for the both of you, and the girly shriek was well justified.  Way to push the voices out of your head and solidly beat your under 3 hour goal.  I agree with Wise Janyne - you are gonna rock IMC!  Nice race!

Is that the new pup sporting your medal?

Edited by melbo55 2014-07-15 11:57 AM

2014-07-15 12:42 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master

Originally posted by melbo55

Ah, dang squirrels!!  Glad it worked out for the both of you, and the girly shriek was well justified.  Way to push the voices out of your head and solidly beat your under 3 hour goal.  I agree with Wise Janyne - you are gonna rock IMC!  Nice race!

Is that the new pup sporting your medal?

Yes, that is Lysie.  I'm not sure why it is sideways though!

2014-07-15 1:09 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Seattle

Great job, Kirsten!

It's really exciting to watch your progress. Keep on keepin' on and bring this momentum through the IM!

2014-07-15 5:02 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Such a super job!!  Glad you and the squirrel both survived.  I can just see it flipping its tail, silly thing!  Way to go conquering those negative voices with the positive ones.  You are going to totally rock IMC with all the physical and mental strength you've developed.  Yay you!!

2014-07-15 8:42 PM

User image

Congrats! Nice times all around!
2014-07-15 8:46 PM
in reply to: ginger1981

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Nicely done a sub 3 Oly with lots of sub in that 3!  Well executed!!

2014-07-16 6:50 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Orlando

Fantastic!  I think you passed the test and are more than ready for your IM!!!

2014-07-16 9:35 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Very well raced.  Part of a solid build and well executed longer term plan.  Pooch in the race pics….

Hmmmmm - PURE AWESOMENESS!  

Great job on this race!  Very happy it went so well for you, and I agree that it portends more good things to come.

Matt

2014-07-16 1:05 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great job Kirsten.  Very solid, very well balanced race.  Strong all around.  So happy to read of your success.

2014-07-16 3:46 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master

Thanks everyone.  I am definitely feeling good about my upcoming race!

2014-07-17 9:20 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

North Vancouver, British Columbia
Excellent time! congrats and thanks for the report.

2014-07-17 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Woo! Congrats on the sub 3!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to set your mind to push it and succeeding in doing so! Can't want to stalk you for IMC!!!!!!!!

2014-07-18 9:50 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
WOOT!! Awesome job!

Squirrels & puppies!! At least they had entertainment on the course for you too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Vancouver International Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Subaru Vancouver International Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by barbchung
Views: 877 Posts: 3

2013-07-17 2:54 PM bcraht

Subaru Vancouver International Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by bcraht
Views: 2279 Posts: 11

2013-07-20 12:10 PM ransick

Subaru Vancouver International Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Hoos
Views: 1630 Posts: 6

2013-07-15 7:45 PM SSMinnow

Subaru Vancouver International Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by lashart
Views: 1073 Posts: 1

2011-07-04 12:03 PM lashart

SUBARU VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL HALF IRON and SPRINT TRIATHLON

Started by DerekWL
Views: 1459 Posts: 5

2007-09-17 9:08 PM Vaiza
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.