General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike purchase Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-15 8:05 AM

Subject: First bike purchase
Newcomer here!

Looking at purchasing a bike with interest in completing tris. No clue where to even start with bikes. Any and all help is appreciated.

Possible models.

Not trying to break the bank here. $300 is around what I would like my max price to be.

Thanks!

Edited by zander4 2014-07-15 8:08 AM

2014-07-15 9:31 PM
in reply to: zander4

Subject: RE: First bike purchase
Looks like you are looking at the used market. Use various sizing guides on the internet to get you in the ballpark of what size you may need. Narrow the bikes down that you are looking at, test ride them, then choose the one that feels the best. Also do some research as to what to look for in a used bike such as but not limited to tire condition; chain stretch; chainring wear; bearing preload in the wheels, headset and crank; shifters etc. Be cautious as what may seem like a good deal could nickel and dime you to death. Bikepedia is a good site to research past models.

Then take your bike budget and subtract the cost of a saddle bag, spare tube, mini-pump, multi-tool, waterbottle and cage, helmet and a pair of shorts. Over time you can upgrade to clipless pedals and buy jerseys and such.

I think once you factor in all the essential riding and safety gear, you may find that your initial budget of $300 is going to make things pretty tight. However, don't lose hope. For instance, my local Play it Again Sports had a nice looking 90's era Trek 1500 for $125 that seemed pretty solid. Also check at your LBS (local bike stores) to see if they have second hand bikes. One of my LBS had a pretty sweet LeMond from the late 90s in the basement that was priced nice but it was way too big for me. Be prepared though that a 90's era bike may mean that you get friction shifters on the downtube versus the nice modern shifters we have now that are integrated with the brake levers.
2014-07-16 9:32 PM
in reply to: martindc1

Meant to add, for a while locally there was a 2009 Trek 1.2 for $400, so you could keep an eye on craigslist for similar deals. By all means go to your LBS and ask if they have used bikes for sale, as those should be ready to ride.
2014-07-17 5:45 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
With your budget, you really need to take a very close look at the bike (you're going to have to buy used)… Wear parts, chain, brake pads, cables/housing, bar tape, maybe cassette and chain rings… Pivots and bearings… If all, or any, of these are worn, the bill can add up quickly. Look for a bike that is well maintained (clean chain, clean cables, no cracks in the housing, and generally clean looking).
2014-07-17 7:39 AM

Thanks for all of the help!

I have found a Specialized Tricross bike that I am going to be able to borrow and ride for the next year. I feel like this is my best option even though it is not a road or tri bike. I imagine it is probably a far better bike than I could have purchased. As well, it's free!

I'm riding to do triathlons but I think this should get the job done just fine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike purchase Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

first bike purchase

Started by SF bound
Views: 961 Posts: 5

2009-02-24 4:14 PM kjenny

FIRST bike purchase & fitting question

Started by tristork
Views: 1429 Posts: 8

2008-07-26 10:11 AM KathyG

Man i need help on my first bike purchase Pages: 1 2

Started by xmann1102
Views: 6248 Posts: 30

2008-05-15 4:06 PM kproudfoot

First bike purchase anxiety

Started by jph35609
Views: 678 Posts: 6

2006-11-30 5:23 PM jph35609

first road bike purchase advice

Started by BornToRun
Views: 872 Posts: 7

2006-05-24 1:18 PM PureGrrr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
comments : 0
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.