General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How the heck do you taper in this sport? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-15 8:19 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: How the heck do you taper in this sport?
So, I've got an olympic tri coming up this Sunday and I have a pretty regimented training schedule. On paper I figured out how best I thought it would be to taper, but now that I'm looking at this weeks schedule, it seems no matter how I plan it, I end up with (what I feel) are way too big of gaps between each sport. The schedule that I have been using for the past two months is as follows:

Sunday: 2.5 hr cycle (approx 45 miles)
Monday: 1 hr run (approx 7 miles)
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: 1 hr cycle + 25 min run (about 20 miles/3 miles respectively)
Thursday: 1 hr run (approx 7 miles)
Friday: Swim 3,000m
Saturday: 1,500m Swim + 12 mile bike + 3 mile run (typically 24 min for swim, 21mph bike and 7:30 pace run)

So, the reason I have this scheduled the way I do is to space out the workouts that use legs as much as possible. So Sunday and Monday are legs, Tuesday is off, then Wednesday and Thursday are legs, then Friday is swimming (so leg rest day) then Saturday is legs again. That;s why I end up with two swims on consecutive days.

But the actual question I have is tapering. So for a Sunday triathlon, I planned the following:

Sunday: 2.5 hr cycle (normal schedule)
Monday: 1 hr run (normal schedule)
Tuesday: Off (normal schedule)

then I start the taper...

Wednesday: 5 mile run easy
Thursday: 1,500 meter swim easy
Friday: 10 mile cycle easy
Saturday: off
Sunday: race

Now the above looks good on paper (to me anyway). Until I realize that in a 6 day stretch I only get on my bike once. The same for running an swimming....six days with only one workout.

That is what gives me anxiety. That seems way too long without each exercise. I'm worried that I won't be loose, ready, whatever. I'm a long time runner and the idea of only running once in the six days prior to a race is unheard of.

Is this normal, or is there a better way to taper?

Thanks in advance!

2014-07-15 9:04 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: How the heck do you taper in this sport?

I'm far from a coach but I would do a short easy ride on Wednesday with a few short efforts at your expected race pace and a slightly shorter run - maybe in the 30-40 min range, again with some short efforts at race pace.  Thursday fine, Friday either add in a short easy 15-20 min run or take the day off and on Saturday do a very short 20 min session of each sport.  I prefer doing a bit of activity the day before a race rather than taking it off completely.

2014-07-15 2:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Miami
I am not a coach and it's been a while since I did an Oly, but here is what I do the week before an HIM or IM (supposing the race is on Sunday):
Saturday: I do a very short session of each sport (20 min swim, 30 min bike,15 min run) mixing some race intensity with easy efforts.
Friday: Off
Thursday: 2,000 yard swim + 45 min bike
Wednesday: 40-45 min run (mixing easy and race pace)
Tuesday: 2,500 yard swim + 90 min bike + 30 min run
Monday: Off or easy swim/bike

I think it is very personal, I tried different approaches and this one works for me. You will lose some fitness (it is normal), but you the goal is to recover and be well rested.

Edited by davidfedez 2014-07-15 2:26 PM
2014-07-15 3:23 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Every person's different but I agree with doing shorter but faster efforts.
I've found I feel best if I don't run at all for a few days before a race (either tri or running). I usually do an easy swim or bike a day or two before- to either swim or bike part of the course. A lot of plans ask for a short intense effort in at least 2 sports in the day or 2 before the race.
It may take a few races to find what's best for you. But as long as you're not doing, like, 75% of the distance at race-pace, whatever you do won't make a huge difference.
2014-07-15 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Too late for a full taper.
2014-07-15 3:43 PM

Originally posted by 3mar

So, I've got an olympic tri coming up this Sunday and I have a pretty regimented training schedule. On paper I figured out how best I thought it would be to taper, but now that I'm looking at this weeks schedule, it seems no matter how I plan it, I end up with (what I feel) are way too big of gaps between each sport. The schedule that I have been using for the past two months is as follows:

Sunday: 2.5 hr cycle (approx 45 miles)
Monday: 1 hr run (approx 7 miles)
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: 1 hr cycle + 25 min run (about 20 miles/3 miles respectively)
Thursday: 1 hr run (approx 7 miles)
Friday: Swim 3,000m
Saturday: 1,500m Swim + 12 mile bike + 3 mile run (typically 24 min for swim, 21mph bike and 7:30 pace run)

So, the reason I have this scheduled the way I do is to space out the workouts that use legs as much as possible. So Sunday and Monday are legs, Tuesday is off, then Wednesday and Thursday are legs, then Friday is swimming (so leg rest day) then Saturday is legs again. That;s why I end up with two swims on consecutive days.

But the actual question I have is tapering. So for a Sunday triathlon, I planned the following:

Sunday: 2.5 hr cycle (normal schedule)
Monday: 1 hr run (normal schedule)
Tuesday: Off (normal schedule)

then I start the taper...

Wednesday: 5 mile run easy
Thursday: 1,500 meter swim easy
Friday: 10 mile cycle easy
Saturday: off
Sunday: race

Now the above looks good on paper (to me anyway). Until I realize that in a 6 day stretch I only get on my bike once. The same for running an swimming....six days with only one workout.

That is what gives me anxiety. That seems way too long without each exercise. I'm worried that I won't be loose, ready, whatever. I'm a long time runner and the idea of only running once in the six days prior to a race is unheard of.

Is this normal, or is there a better way to taper?

Thanks in advance!

First, don't worry about loss in fitness. With a taper as short as this, there is really no perceptible loss. It is absolutely insignificant.

The key is to eat well, rest well, sleep well, and let your body recover.

I would however do a bit more during the taper. Cut the volume, and keep the intensity. For example, on Friday, your 10 mile cycle. I would probably a few quick hard intervals, nothing tiring, maybe 3 miles at race pace and even a little recovery in between. For Thursdays run, I would do 7 miles, with 2 miles at race pace. Saturday I would do an easy two mile run with a few strides thrown in.

I wouldn't cut out sessions. I would just shorten them and do a small percentage of the workout at race pace to stay sharp.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How the heck do you taper in this sport? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What the heck have I done?! Pages: 1 2

Started by clemson05
Views: 1903 Posts: 26

2012-11-01 8:07 AM clemson05

Deeper Reason For Doing Triathlon and Endurance Sports Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ENP
Views: 4135 Posts: 66

2009-08-29 1:31 PM QueenZipp

Single Sport Taper Week

Started by sealiongirl
Views: 461 Posts: 2

2009-08-07 7:50 PM TriMyBest

To taper or not to taper???

Started by cycle_todd
Views: 1238 Posts: 11

2009-02-12 1:15 PM JorgeM

training program when doing other sports?

Started by KathyG
Views: 519 Posts: 3

2004-11-02 4:29 PM jasmine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.

date : December 27, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
You may find your taper plan changing from week to week, based on how your body responds to the actual taper.
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?
date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.