Musselman Triathlon
72F / 22C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 14m 13s
Overall Rank = 287/623
Age Group = 50 - 54
Age Group Rank = 22/48
Pre-race routine:

Packed up the night before other than the bike, had a little oatmeal when I first woke up. Headed to the race sight arriving about 5:30. I was quite surprised that there was not a line to get into the park like normal.
I got transition set up and sort of hung out. There was quite a line for the porto potties, so I made the trip over to the park restrooms, whichi isnt far, where there were no lines. Made the trip twice.
Put on the wetsuit and waited for my turn.
Event warmup:

5 minutes between waves so when it was our turn to get into the water, I swam 35 or 30 yards out and back.
Swim
  • 46m 3s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I came into this race expecting a swim PR. I have focused on the swim and had some really nice OWS in practice the past couple of weeks easily swimming in the 1:45 range. Arriving in the park and seeing the wind and lake, I realized Mother Nature said screw your PR, Im still in charge. Oh well, we all swim in the same lake.
The first leg is a different direction from past years and is barely waiste deep to the first turn bouy. Many walkers through here, but I felt it best to swim.
From there we turn southeast directly into the 20 mph head wind and the strong chop. Tough to breath without catching a wave, and at times felt as I was swimming just to keep from going backwards. Even here though I started catching people from prior waves. Difficult at best to sight so I think I wandered a bit.
Finally reach the turn back north, and get a bit of a push into the canal, but still choppy. Didn't think I would ever get to the safe confines of the canal, which is normally the worse part of the swim, but it was nice to get into some flat water and pick up the pace.
Cant say I was happy with the swim performance, but I can't control the weather.
What would you do differently?:

Pick a pook swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

The swim took a lot out of me. Took more time than I should.
Bike
  • 3h 18m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.94 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 12 - 15 miles are south into the wind. The weather report said the winds were 20 - 22 sustained with gusts to 28. My helmet is an aero helmet with a flip down visor. The wind caught it about 10 miles in and ripped it off. I tried to push the pace, but I also had on a deeper wheel than I should have and found at times I felt like a kite being pushed around. In hindsight I should have switched wheels, but the forecast was for 8 - 10 mph.
Turning east was a relief and then tuning north on 414 was a thrill to get a slight downhill with that tailwind. Made up some of the time here, just wasn't long enough.
I was also dealing with a nagging lower back soreness. I wish I could figure this out as sometimes it is there other times it isn't. I stopped about halfway to use the porto potty, but also to stretch out the lower back. I wish they had more than one as the girl that just beat me to it couldn't get in and out of her one peice tri suit.
Down hill to the lake was the normal free speed which was nice but then it was back into the wind along Cayuga Lake before the climb up off the lake, About the top of the hill it started raining, at times hard. Not really an issue until we got back to Romulus and the downhills are pretty steep with some tight turns. Dry conditions we get a lot of free speed, wet with a bunch of other bikes around and it gets pretty treachorous in my opinion. I did get passed some but I got all those positions back as soon as we got into the park heading back north.
Lots of free speed back to the park with the nice tail wind that I had been cussing most of the morning. I'll take it though after the ass kicking it gave me up to that point.

My bike training hasn't been as good as it was last year and could use some work.
Transition 2
  • 04m 54s
Comments:

Just slow

Move faster
Run
  • 2h 01m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off running the desired race pace up to mile 3 where there is a steep up hill. With the rain, I took the stair option instead of the grass. Picked back up to the race pace again and was maintaining +/- 8:45 pace. Did well with this through the next 3 or 4 miles to the gravel farm path up the hill. Fully intended to power walk this as it is about as fast for this grade.
At the top right back to pace and was moving along with my goal of breaking 2 hours, hopefully 1:55.
Funny thing that has never impacted me before (of course I have struggled on the run at Musselman so I probably wasn't ever in this position before) but there are some nice downhills from miles 8 - 10 and although I did ok running down them, I really struggled with the pace after that. Once I hit the flats, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't better the pace at all. Finished hard, but was just over 2 hours.

My running has been hot and cold this year. It has been better than my bike training but still not up to where it needs to be. I think the sprint a couple of weeks ago probably put me behind some on the number of over runs. Truthfully I would have probably been better off doing the HIM in Tupper Lake.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a little fruit, packed up and got out of there as it was raining and I was getting cold

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lifes distractions this year has my training about a step behind last years. It is looking better, but it is tough to catch up.

Event comments:

These guys just do it right!

Last updated: 2014-02-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:03 | 2112 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/48
Overall: 3072/623
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: New course starting west, then back south east, then back to the canal and the boat launce
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:18:24 | 56 miles | 16.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/48
Overall: 3337/623
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:54
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:01:21 | 13.1 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/48
Overall: 247/623
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-15 10:11 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2014-07-15 10:23 AM
in reply to: #5025904

Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon
Well done! Jeff is a great RD and puts on a great event, but Mother Nature decided to throw y'all a curve ball this year and there's not you can do in response other than to put your head down and keep going....and it sounds like you did that really well. So, congrats! (BTW, 2012 was bad weather with those thunder and lightning storms, 2013 was really nice and this year was bad...I guess we'll have good weather next year if this pattern holds, right?)
2014-07-15 12:01 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by LarchmontTri Well done! Jeff is a great RD and puts on a great event, but Mother Nature decided to throw y'all a curve ball this year and there's not you can do in response other than to put your head down and keep going....and it sounds like you did that really well. So, congrats! (BTW, 2012 was bad weather with those thunder and lightning storms, 2013 was really nice and this year was bad...I guess we'll have good weather next year if this pattern holds, right?)

Thanks!

Typically it is either the hottest day of the summer or a day like Sunday with the rain and wind.  So, next year should be warm!

2014-07-15 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Great job in tough conditions, Ken!

2014-07-16 6:21 AM
in reply to: Ridgelake

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Well managed in some crazy weather conditions!  You took what the day threw at you and did your best with it.

2014-07-19 6:05 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Well managed in some crazy weather conditions!  You took what the day threw at you and did your best with it.

Thanks Judi!  A bit different weather for Musselman!

2014-07-28 9:35 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
nice report. Did you have to help her got out of her trisuit? Good job in conditions.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by jazz82482
Views: 7293 Posts: 46

2009-03-23 1:51 AM doctorbob18

Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

Started by Jachlopecki
Views: 2037 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 2:56 PM Jachlopecki

Started by ds97a
Views: 2650 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 2:30 PM ds97a

Started by billsfan200474
Views: 2528 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 2:10 PM billsfan200474

Started by k_hase
Views: 2765 Posts: 7

2008-07-15 12:19 PM Mimir98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 23, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.