General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Singlet or Tank Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-15 11:46 AM

Subject: Singlet or Tank
Not sure why I'd actually buy one. T-shirts generally work for me. I'm a participator, not a competitor. I guess..."it's part of the thing" and I have the disposable income. And, because now that I've lost 100 lbs. I can actually wear something like that and not horribly offend those around me. Also, I have a brand of tri-short that I really REALLY like. I find them very comfortable (better than biking shorts) on the bike and the diaper thingy isn't at all noticeable on the run even after being in the water. I figure if the shorts are that good maybe a top will be a nice change from t-shirts.

The singlet appears a little more practical for me as there's more skin coverage...albeit...not much.. And being that I'll burn if I stand in front of the fridge with the door open too long...or the fact that I need to UV up if I'm outside at night when there's a full moon...that's a consideration. I also worry it might be more restrictive? I guess these manufacturers have been at it long enough they don't make something that'd be restrictive...typically.

Does anybody find a comparable difference between the two styles?

Can (note, I'm asking "can" not "will") it help with nipple issues? Or could it make it worse? Or is that answer "depends on" weather, body, hydration?

2014-07-15 12:12 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Singlet or Tank
I have always found the singlet to be MUCH more comfortable. The only negative is lack of access while using the bathroom.

2014-07-15 12:13 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

What do you mean when you say "singlet" and "tank"?
Are you referring to a tri top?

Tri tops are generally preferred as you can swim/bike/run in one top without changing. They are aerodynamic compared to a t-shirt, quick-drying, and some have other features like a built-in pocket for nutrition or a zipper down the front to vent. 

That said, you should wear what you're comfortable and have practiced in. Nothing in triathlon is a fashion statement, so no worries there.

2014-07-15 12:20 PM
in reply to: lisac957

I'm just talking about tops.
I don't think I would like the one-piece suit.

The only difference I see is the singlet appears to cover a skosh more of the shoulder/back of the neck area than a tank.
The tank is just that. A tank. Almost like an old school basketball jersey. A little more room/exposure around and underneath the shoulder.
2014-07-15 12:20 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

What do you mean when you say "singlet" and "tank"?
Are you referring to a tri top?

Tri tops are generally preferred as you can swim/bike/run in one top without changing. They are aerodynamic compared to a t-shirt, quick-drying, and some have other features like a built-in pocket for nutrition or a zipper down the front to vent. 

That said, you should wear what you're comfortable and have practiced in. Nothing in triathlon is a fashion statement, so no worries there.

What??? 

2014-07-15 1:24 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by jhaack39

The only difference I see is the singlet appears to cover a skosh more of the shoulder/back of the neck area than a tank.
The tank is just that. A tank. Almost like an old school basketball jersey. A little more room/exposure around and underneath the shoulder.

A singlet is a one piece tri suit

2014-07-15 1:39 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

What??? 

I must confess, it is mostly a 'vanity/fashion' thing. It seems the thing to do. Last year I was one of a handful on a hybrid. Now I see this year I am one of handful wearing a t-shirt. The vanity comes in to play that I can actually wear athletic gear now, and not wind up on The People of Wal-Mart website. Having lost weight like I have, it's sort of a reward. Wear something I never would have been able to wear.

But then again, if it's helps in comfort or makes a transition a little easier...and I've got the money....why not?

I'm going into things with a little less skepticism after reading some of the actual science and trusted medical stuff on the energy gels. I always assumed they'd do nothing for me that a banana or some raisins wouldn't do. I'm not against non-real food....to lose 100 lbs, I ate a lot of no calorie chemical foods. But, having read the science it would explain why I can do 1-1.5 hours of brick training (bike/run....~Olympic length) on a regular basis, but when I add in that extra 20-30 minutes of a swim....I can "feel it" in the run like I don't when I'm simply training. From what I'm reading, that's about the time when I'd need something like that.

So, I'm not quite so skeptical of the benefits of a piece of gear like this.

Also, there's the vanity thing.

However...I will NEVER give up my bucket. Don't care if it makes me look like a newb.
2014-07-15 1:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

What??? 

I must confess, it is mostly a 'vanity/fashion' thing. It seems the thing to do. Last year I was one of a handful on a hybrid. Now I see this year I am one of handful wearing a t-shirt. The vanity comes in to play that I can actually wear athletic gear now, and not wind up on The People of Wal-Mart website. Having lost weight like I have, it's sort of a reward. Wear something I never would have been able to wear. But then again, if it's helps in comfort or makes a transition a little easier...and I've got the money....why not? I'm going into things with a little less skepticism after reading some of the actual science and trusted medical stuff on the energy gels. I always assumed they'd do nothing for me that a banana or some raisins wouldn't do. I'm not against non-real food....to lose 100 lbs, I ate a lot of no calorie chemical foods. But, having read the science it would explain why I can do 1-1.5 hours of brick training (bike/run....~Olympic length) on a regular basis, but when I add in that extra 20-30 minutes of a swim....I can "feel it" in the run like I don't when I'm simply training. From what I'm reading, that's about the time when I'd need something like that. So, I'm not quite so skeptical of the benefits of a piece of gear like this. Also, there's the vanity thing. However...I will NEVER give up my bucket. Don't care if it makes me look like a newb.

That's good to hear on the bucket.....nobody is ever getting mine.  I just got a kick out of Lisa's assertion that "nothing in triathlon is a fashion statement". 

Puhleeeeze!!!!!!!  

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-15 1:52 PM
2014-07-15 2:23 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I just got a kick out of Lisa's assertion that "nothing in triathlon is a fashion statement". 

Puhleeeeze!!!!!!!  

Maybe for some of the gals (I'll admit I've purchased some tri tops based on a flattering fit/color), but if you males are trying to make a fashion statement it ain't working

I guess my point was that spandex all kind of looks the same to me. 

2014-07-15 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I assume you are talking about "singlets" as sleeveless tops that have a higher neckline and more material over the shoulders verses a "tank top" that has more strap-like shoulders.

I've tried both styles of tri tops and the tank-style tends to balloon more in the water causing a lot of drag.  Most recently I've been wearing Louis Garneau and 2XU tops that fit pretty snuggly around the neck and shoulders.  In either case, you want your top to be snug, but not to the point of restricting your movement.

Sizing can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.  I have a 46" chest and wear a Louis Garneau XL, but can barely squeeze into a XXL 2XU top.

FWIW, I also find that it's a lot easier stepping into the tops and pulling them up rather than trying to pull them on over my head.

Mark

2014-07-15 3:59 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I agree that for swimming, the "singlet" cut is MUCH better.  I get a lot of water inside a "tank" style top.   Although I suppose it depends on body shape too.

2014-07-15 6:17 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by jhaack39 I'm just talking about tops. I don't think I would like the one-piece suit. The only difference I see is the singlet appears to cover a skosh more of the shoulder/back of the neck area than a tank. The tank is just that. A tank. Almost like an old school basketball jersey. A little more room/exposure around and underneath the shoulder.

Actually a singlet is a running top similar to a tank but more purpose designed for racing. A tri suit is a one piece kit for racing triathlon

2014-07-15 6:55 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Pro

Originally posted by thebigb

Originally posted by jhaack39 I'm just talking about tops. I don't think I would like the one-piece suit. The only difference I see is the singlet appears to cover a skosh more of the shoulder/back of the neck area than a tank. The tank is just that. A tank. Almost like an old school basketball jersey. A little more room/exposure around and underneath the shoulder.

Actually a singlet is a running top similar to a tank but more purpose designed for racing. A tri suit is a one piece kit for racing triathlon

And a tank can blow some chit up!

2014-07-16 9:33 AM
in reply to: mike761

Veteran

Chinese proverb: Man who gets too big for his britches may get exposed in the end. (singlet is a top, not a suit)
2014-07-16 9:42 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Actually a singlet is a running top similar to a tank but more purpose designed for racing. A tri suit is a one piece kit for racing triathlon ;)

There's no hard and fast definition for a "singlet".  Back in my wrestling days a singlet was a one-piece set of tights, very similar in appearance to a current one-piece tri suit.  I've actually seen some guys do tri's in wrestling singlets.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2014-07-16 9:43 AM
2014-07-16 10:04 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
A singlet is basically just a sleveless t-shirt while a tank is more of a cover for guys who don't want to run shirtless. I bought a couple Asics singlets online a month ago for the summer that I thought were tanks (bad description online) & while I like them fine, they have the collar of a t-shirt. I have been meaning to pick up a tank to try running in that instead as it can be really hot & humid in Atlanta in the summer.

I run at 5AM before the sun comes up, so coverage from burning is not an issue for me. It's really more about comfort & I think the tank being less restrictive would be a lot better.

Edited by Meathead 2014-07-16 10:05 AM

2014-07-16 2:43 PM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario

And a tank can blow some chit up!

HAHAHA... i enjoyed that
2014-08-11 11:42 AM

User image

I prefer and use a one piece trisuit (Kiwami Amphibian) that is cut like a singlet on the top. Basically the arm holes go in toward your shoulder blades on your back rather than stopping at the edge of your shoulder. I find this to be a lot more comfortable for swimming and running.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Singlet or Tank Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need to get some jerseys/tanks made.

Started by krisko
Views: 1311 Posts: 12

2009-12-10 8:43 AM graceful_dave

Tri Tank vs. Tri Jersey

Started by mk29
Views: 882 Posts: 5

2009-09-07 8:24 PM mk29

custom made tri tank or silk screen?