General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there where the body just says "Lets Do It" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-15 1:15 PM

Subject: Is there where the body just says "Lets Do It"
OK, over the past couple of weeks I noticed something interesting. I started 18 months ago being able to run 100 yards and feel like I am about to die, I have since moved up to being able to do a marathon in 5 hrs. Through all of this I had a nice steady improvement in running paces to about 2 weeks ago averaging around 9:30 minute miles (slow for some of you but I know my limits). However in the past 2 weeks I began averaging 8:30 minute miles and this is not just one run but several runs many day after day. Today if I throw out my first mile since I always start slow I would have an 8:20 minute mile. My question centers around what can cause such a drastic consistent change. The only thing different in my routine is I am switching between my old and new shoes trying to break them in for IMWI, and both pairs of shoes are the exact same model from the same year.

Any input is appreciated.

2014-07-15 1:19 PM
in reply to: mclousing

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Is there where the body just says "Lets Do It"
I doubt this is it, but I am change that much easily depending on the weather. For this time of year I'm normally on the slower side of the minute. Do you live where some freak cold front went through? My only thoughts....
2014-07-15 1:29 PM

User image

Hereford, England
My guess is that you've been able to do it for a while, then one run you've just gone for it. Once you've done it once you know you can do it.

I dropped about 0.5min/mile by accidentally setting off too quickly, but being able to hold it through the run, granted only over a 5 mile run though.
2014-07-15 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by mclousing OK, over the past couple of weeks I noticed something interesting. I started 18 months ago being able to run 100 yards and feel like I am about to die, I have since moved up to being able to do a marathon in 5 hrs. Through all of this I had a nice steady improvement in running paces to about 2 weeks ago averaging around 9:30 minute miles (slow for some of you but I know my limits). However in the past 2 weeks I began averaging 8:30 minute miles and this is not just one run but several runs many day after day. Today if I throw out my first mile since I always start slow I would have an 8:20 minute mile. My question centers around what can cause such a drastic consistent change. The only thing different in my routine is I am switching between my old and new shoes trying to break them in for IMWI, and both pairs of shoes are the exact same model from the same year. Any input is appreciated.

Guess you are finding new limits.

It may be as others have suggested, you've been getting steadily fitter, but have not been pushing yourself and have maintained a steady pace.

Do you use any method to identify how hard you are working? Heart rate, RPE log etc.  If you have any of this to look back on, you may see patterns like the pace staying the same but RPE or average HR dropping over time, now with a higher pace the HR or RPE may increase but still feel comfortable.

Either way, 100yds and struggling to 8:20 min/miles is excellent!  Kudos!

2014-07-15 3:26 PM
in reply to: dewybuck

I have my heart rate monitor and I always look back at my garmin connect data. My heart rate has steadily dropped over time, but over the past or 4 weeks it has been about the same (on the longer runs I will average around 140).

As for weather it has been inconsistent this year and if I look back the humidity was higher on some of my slower runs but temp about the same.

It could be as simple as I pushed myself once past my "Limit" and I was able to reproduce that but I have tried that in the past with disasterous effects (i.e. ran really fast for 11 miles and the next day I couldn't even do 3 miles). Last week I ran a good clip for 11 miles and the next day I ran 7 even faster.

So I am not complaining I was just baffled by the results.
2014-07-15 3:29 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
It's a great problem to be baffled by!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there where the body just says "Lets Do It" Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Body says "Run faster" Brain says "Whoa - not now" - confusion reigns

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1347 Posts: 11

2011-01-04 9:29 PM 08M3Sedanski

My body let me down... sort of

Started by chandy14ski
Views: 568 Posts: 2

2009-09-14 5:07 AM TriMyBest

Let's say it goes south for me in the lake

Started by rxman
Views: 1108 Posts: 12