General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sitting is really that bad for you??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-15 9:01 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: Sitting is really that bad for you???

Anybody see this article?

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/how-much-does-sitting-negate-your-workout-benefits?cid=social_20140715_27815816

Any opinions? Should we all quit our desk jobs, or is this about as legit as the "study" floating around this week about how smelling your own farts can ward off cancer.

2014-07-15 9:18 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Sitting is really that bad for you???
Originally posted by trijamie

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/how-much-does-sitting-negate-your-workout-benefits?cid=social_20140715_27815816

Any opinions? Should we all quit our desk jobs, or is this about as legit as the "study" floating around this week about how smelling your own farts can ward off cancer.

Didn't read about the claimed % of workout lost, but I will speak about what I see every single day. All new athletes that come into our gym that work in environments that require a lot of sitting have very weak glute strength (cyclists included), tight hip flexors, poor posterior strength and lack lots of core stability (which effects breathing). In turn for triathletes this means a lot of efficiency is lost due to poor movements patterns associated with what is required. So I would say from this angle, that sitting is bad for you from a mobility and stability standpoint.

2014-07-16 1:21 AM

User image

So based on that study if you run 10 km every 2nd day but sit 6.5 hours per day then you lose all the health/fitness benefits of  running.

So you might as well stop running 40 km per week because there is no health or fitness benefit of doing it.

Hmm ya clearly that is Not true. Prolonged sitting is definitely not healthy but to say that you lose all the benefits of running 40 km per week or cycling 200 km per week if you sit 6.5 hours a day is absurd.  If you run/cycle that much you Will see a health benefit, sure it would be more if you weren't sitting, but you definitely are not going to lose all of the benefit and be just as unhealthy as your co-worker who never does any exercise at all.

...but I never sit at work so it's a moot point for me 

2014-07-16 5:55 AM

New user
Key West
The study has been out for quite a while, and I guess it has some validity, although I hope not since I have a desk job. But, the comment about weak glutes, hip flexors, etc., made by the above poster fits me perfectly. So maybe I should go back to standing to work on my computer. I used to do it and then my back got so tight. But seems like the better of the two options.
2014-07-16 6:32 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bcagle25

Didn't read about the claimed % of workout lost, but I will speak about what I see every single day. All new athletes that come into our gym that work in environments that require a lot of sitting have very weak glute strength (cyclists included), tight hip flexors, poor posterior strength and lack lots of core stability (which effects breathing). In turn for triathletes this means a lot of efficiency is lost due to poor movements patterns associated with what is required. So I would say from this angle, that sitting is bad for you from a mobility and stability standpoint.

x2.  I didn't read the article either, and see the exact same thing every day.  This influences the strength program design for the majority of my personal training clients and endurance athletes alike.

2014-07-16 6:45 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TriMyBest

x2.  I didn't read the article either, and see the exact same thing every day.  This influences the strength program design for the majority of my personal training clients and endurance athletes alike.

"have very weak glute strength (cyclists included), tight hip flexors, poor posterior strength and lack lots of core stability"

^^^ this is me

Suggestions ?

2014-07-16 6:55 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marcag

"have very weak glute strength (cyclists included), tight hip flexors, poor posterior strength and lack lots of core stability" ^^^ this is me Suggestions ?

Glute bridges with leg extensions:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFz4tQrQMgc

Ben probably has some additional suggestions.

2014-07-16 8:24 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Thanks for that link, Don. I'm definitely in the camp of tight hip flexors, no doubt from sitting at a desk all day. The stand up desks are great, but the companies I've worked for usually don't feel like spending the money on them. Every hour I get down on the floor and do a set of pushups/situps/etc. to get the blood moving, so I'll throw that glute bridge into the mix.

2014-07-16 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

"have very weak glute strength (cyclists included), tight hip flexors, poor posterior strength and lack lots of core stability" ^^^ this is me Suggestions ?

Glute work, which can be accomplished in a variety of ways.

Glute bridges are the best "bang for your buck"

Progressions:
Glute Bridge
Resisted glute bridge
Weighted Glute Bridge (barbell)
SIngle leg glute bridge

Split Squats are great as well, start / body weight, then use weight (anteriorly load w/ DB or KB). If you want to add in more core stability work contra laterally load (load one side on shoulder).

Hip hinge movement patterns are great too, add in hip extension which is the exact opposite of sitting all day and will build posterior strength (ever see triathletes hunched over late in race????). KB swings is a good place to start, but make sure you are hip hinging correctly. This article (http://organicfitness.com/the-hip-hinge-a-key-to-glute-development-and-good-exercise-technique/ is great to understand proper development.

This should get the ball in motion for you, PM me for any added questions
2014-07-16 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks for that link, Don. I'm definitely in the camp of tight hip flexors, no doubt from sitting at a desk all day. The stand up desks are great, but the companies I've worked for usually don't feel like spending the money on them. Every hour I get down on the floor and do a set of pushups/situps/etc. to get the blood moving, so I'll throw that glute bridge into the mix.

If you are in the office do some Turkish Get-ups with just your body weight, will basically "undo" your sitting motion all day.
2014-07-16 9:52 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

2014-07-16 4:22 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran

Glute work, which can be accomplished in a variety of ways.

Glute bridges are the best "bang for your buck"

Progressions:
Glute Bridge
Resisted glute bridge
Weighted Glute Bridge (barbell)
SIngle leg glute bridge

Split Squats are great as well, start / body weight, then use weight (anteriorly load w/ DB or KB). If you want to add in more core stability work contra laterally load (load one side on shoulder).

Hip hinge movement patterns are great too, add in hip extension which is the exact opposite of sitting all day and will build posterior strength (ever see triathletes hunched over late in race????). KB swings is a good place to start, but make sure you are hip hinging correctly. This article (http://organicfitness.com/the-hip-hinge-a-key-to-glute-development-and-good-exercise-technique/ is great to understand proper development.

This should get the ball in motion for you, PM me for any added questions

Cool.
Thank you very much !

2014-07-17 7:54 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Great thread!

I am a big fan of the programs like T25 & p90x3 and now PiYo, they incorporate a lot of BEn's suggestions, with fun music and a cute trainer as well.
2014-07-17 9:34 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Pro

Is this a French study?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sitting is really that bad for you??? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Signs you are at a really bad Tri Pages: 1 2

Started by verga
Views: 2270 Posts: 26

2010-08-02 11:45 PM sand101

Really odd swimming idea....good or bad?

Started by The Mac
Views: 764 Posts: 9

2006-10-23 8:26 PM rkreuser

Reality Check: I'm REALLY bad! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Gwendal
Views: 2733 Posts: 52

2005-05-02 10:00 AM clflgrl

I am on Sat.

Started by royj
Views: 467 Posts: 2

2004-08-07 2:10 AM jasmine

Really bad eyesight

Started by stina76
Views: 3705 Posts: 15

2003-12-26 9:42 AM clightle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : March 20, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Modified Jackknife Sit-Up exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Sit-Up-Decline Bench Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.