General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM taper/last 2 big weeks question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-16 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Subject: IM taper/last 2 big weeks question
Question for the IM pros and those that know more than I do:

I'm doing IMMT on 8-17.

I structured training pretty badly this year. I did relatively nothing this winter through March due to a lingering major sinus infection that ended up requiring surgery. Recovered from that and hit the bike and swim hard. Saw improvements, legs felt great, was really optimistic. Didn't get cleared to start running until late May after finally figuring out what was causing my ankle pain (peroneal tendonitis, bike fit needed major adjustment).

Training was going super well until mid June (about 2 weeks after I started running again) and it's rather fallen apart since then. I've continued putting in the miles and time and my legs and body have felt relatively fine, but speed just isn't there. If anything, I'm getting slower as the season goes on rather than faster. Did a ride last weekend that I do each year and I was 0.5 mph slower than last year (and I certainly felt like it) and legs felt like they were dying at the end.

On my long run this morning, it finally clicked as to why training is not going so well - no base, built too quickly, threw running on top of bike/swim schedule with not only no reduction in hours on those to account for extra run but actually increased those at the same time.

I have 4 100 mile rides under my belt this season. I planned to do 2 more and then start taper (65-70 mi ride 2 weeks out, 40 1 week out). At this point, I realize my speed/fitness isn't where I want it to be, but there's nothing left to do other than try to press on. I'm concerned that I'm digging a big hole that will negatively affect race day, but I also know that not putting in the minimum volume will bite me on race day, too.

The problem with having done 2 of these already is that I know I'm undertrained compared to usual and I have an idea of just how bad race day is going to hurt!

Any advice? Should I taper more than usual to account for the accumulated fatigue? Should I press on?

TIA.

2014-07-16 4:09 PM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: IM taper/last 2 big weeks question

fatigue usually cleans up pretty quick, so I wouldn't add to the taper. everyday you have to train is another day of fitness. If there's no fitness or not enough volume then you would want to shorten the taper as there is less for the body to absorb. so I would stick with the plan.

race day might surprise you. so much of an Ironman is execution. The wiser you might beat the snot out of the fitter you.

good luck.

2014-07-17 7:58 AM
in reply to: tjfry

Master
Northern IL

Like what TJ said, wouldn't extend the taper. If you're having a lot of trouble completing workouts currently take another look at your workout schedule. Are you getting in decent workouts along with adequate recovery? One more rest or easier day now may help quite a bit towards performing workouts over the next couple weeks if the overall load is really getting too big. And be careful of overthinking it regarding all the work you've done in the past. Build off the fitness you have now, and do so with the type of event that's coming up in mind. So don't fret about not being able to everything you did leading into the previous races, but do use those experiences to help build up what you can off what you have now.

That experience in race day execution may help a lot. You have experience in being out there for a very long day. You may not go as fast, but remember that. Use the experience to help keep your effort in check. Push too much up a hill? Ride easier than your average for longer to recover. Unsure if you did? Play it safe and ride a little easier anyway. Use that experience to figure out both when to press and when to back off. Keep watching your nutrition & hydration. Identify issues coming on sooner, slow down and do something about them earlier this time. Have the confidence to do what needs to be done. Sometimes that may be to keep going when you want to stop, other times that will be backing off so that you can keep going.

2014-07-17 8:54 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
MA

You can't rush IM training and you can't cram for it. Your fitness is what it is given your year, now be wise in your last bit of training and tapering but more so on race day pacing on your paces this year not based on prior years.

Great race day pacing advice already given above.

Are your current workouts to much given your training this year? If so back off and do them shorter or easier especially on your runs. Maybe consider a run/walk strategy and use that in your last couple longer runs to see if that makes a difference. Most folks run/walk an IM run and planning and executing it may make a difference between run/walking whole run vs running and then walking last half or more of an IM.

For me tapering is longest run, then bike and swim the least.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM taper/last 2 big weeks question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tapering in the last week before a Half

Started by waveteacher
Views: 666 Posts: 2

2013-04-12 12:43 PM dmiller5

2 week vs. 3 week IM taper

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 1666 Posts: 7

2012-10-29 7:03 PM swiss tri

Last week before Taper Week!

Started by inspiration
Views: 956 Posts: 5

2011-03-22 9:51 PM inspiration

Just got my first blister two weeks before IM taper

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 878 Posts: 5

2010-07-30 6:43 AM Jeepguy2358

1/2 IM taper help 1 week out

Started by Focker out!
Views: 953 Posts: 3

2006-10-19 4:06 PM chris hughes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.

date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
comments : 0
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?