General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weird injury/sensation after running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-16 11:08 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: Weird injury/sensation after running
I have a hard to describe sensation after all my runs recently. I will do my best to describe it. Please let me know if you can poinpoint more accurately what it might be or if you have suffered similar.

After finishing any run over 5km I feel fine.
Then after any period of rest something must happen because...
  • ..the next time I go to stand up it feels like my lower leg cannot take any weight.

• I get the sensation at the core of my lower leg (does not feel muscular, fells like it is 'in' the bone) as if my lower leg were about to give out. Once I can focus on putting my foot down and get some weight on it the sensation eases after a few steps.

I ran yesterday (7km), felt good, then had the sensation all afternoon at work, woke up this morning and rode to work fine. I can't find anything else (muscular, swelling etc) that might point to a problem. even when I have the sensation I can do calf raises, hops, stairs with no problem.

Weird right?

2014-07-16 4:05 PM
    in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Expert
    The Woodlands, TX
    Subject: RE: Weird injury/sensation after running

I can think of 2 things I've had that fit that description.

1. connective tissue has a little damage. When you stand up it fills with blood and/or pressure applied. painful but goes away after a few steps. not unlike a shin splint but not on the shin. b/c it connects to and sits against the bone, it feels like a bone issue

2. micro damage/swelling near a nerve. If you sit just right or stand just right it hits the nerve and nearly makes you drop to the floor. regular movement is no problem.

either of those sound close? Good news is that both went away for me. just needs a little TLC and time. didn't effect training though.

2014-07-17 11:24 AM
    in reply to: tjfry

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
    Subject: RE: Weird injury/sensation after running
    Originally posted by tjfry

I can think of 2 things I've had that fit that description.

1. connective tissue has a little damage. When you stand up it fills with blood and/or pressure applied. painful but goes away after a few steps. not unlike a shin splint but not on the shin. b/c it connects to and sits against the bone, it feels like a bone issue

2. micro damage/swelling near a nerve. If you sit just right or stand just right it hits the nerve and nearly makes you drop to the floor. regular movement is no problem.

either of those sound close? Good news is that both went away for me. just needs a little TLC and time. didn't effect training though.

#1 sounds very close. Thanks. Short run today will give me an indication if it is going away.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weird injury/sensation after running Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Weirdest Running Injury Ever

Started by marmadaddy
    Views: 2113 Posts: 17

2012-08-07 1:04 PM mxr746

Do you get weird injuries??

Started by dmbfan4life20
    Views: 368 Posts: 1

2012-06-13 7:30 AM dmbfan4life20

Weird recent experience (injury oriented).

Started by Tom Demerly.
    Views: 1307 Posts: 15

2011-07-01 8:20 AM buscha

Foot Injury - How do I keep up my running cardio without really running

Started by jcoop_00
    Views: 1441 Posts: 7

2010-06-09 12:17 PM jgerbodegrant

Cannot run sensation in the knee when heel strikes the ground

Started by steven
    Views: 684 Posts: 3

2004-04-02 12:16 PM JayC
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : January 25, 2013
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 1
    This article covers a variety of injuries that can lead to knee pain.

date : December 22, 2011
    comments : 2
    Three sports medicine Doctors discuss the results of our user injury poll
    date : March 9, 2010
    Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.

date : January 16, 2008
    comments : 4
    This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.
    date : April 11, 2007
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 0
    Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : October 2, 2006
    author : mikericci
    comments : 9
    Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.
    date : July 17, 2005
    author : ChiRunning
    comments : 0
    Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.

date : October 24, 2004
    author : Team BT
    In their own words, triathletes give their take on the issue of the day. Today, Felix talks about how he recovered from the usually devastating ITBS injury.