Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-22 9:03 AM
in reply to: #5026687

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Cervelo Cracked
Specialized doesn't play games with warranty claims. I have heard a few times over the years when their reps chase folks who don't consider making a claim or spot an issue and get them free replacement. Their customer service is impressive.

2014-07-22 9:07 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Kathy I'm sure you're right. I'm sure Cervelo has done the same.

I'm also 100% sure that isn't the norm.
2014-07-22 10:24 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

this is what the Cervelo warrenty says:

Warranty Details Starting January 1, 2004, each Cervélo Cycles Inc. (Cervélo) bicycle frame purchased after this date is warranted by Cervélo Cycles Inc. against defects in workmanship and materials for as long as the frame is owned by the original owner, excluding paint and decals. (Cervélo bicycle frames purchased before this date came with a four year warranty).

This covers ALL bicycle frame models Cervélo offers. This warranty is expressly limited to either the repair or replacement of the defective frame – the decision to repair and replace to be at the sole discretion of Cervélo – and no other remedies are available under the warranty.

Cervélo does not warrant against damage caused by normal wear and tear, improper assembly, improper maintenance, or installation of parts or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with the frame or bicycle sold.

Cervélo does not warrant against damage or failure of Cervélo bicycle frames caused by accident, misuse, abuse or neglect. Any modification of the frame or its components shall void this warranty. All claims under this warranty must be made through an authorized Cervélo distributor.

Claims will be processed only after provision by the claimant to Cervélo of proof of purchase and completion of Cervélo’s online product registration (which can be found here). Purchase Cervélo product only through authorized Cervélo retailers. This is your assurance of original Cervélo quality. Please visit our retailer locator to identify your preferred, authorized Cervélo retailer.

All authorized retailers are listed on this site. Cervélo's warranty policy is valid only for Cervélo products purchased through authorized Cervélo retailers. Cervélo products purchased through any channel other than an authorized Cervélo retailer are not covered by the Cervélo warranty. Subject to the laws of your jurisdiction which prevail where applicable over the terms of this warranty, Cervélo shall not be responsible for incidental or consequential damages suffered. This warranty does not cover labor charges for parts changeovers. - See more at: http://www.cervelo.com/en/support/warranty.html#sthash.5bV4mweB.dpu...

Like others have said, we only know the OP's side - but the bolded stuff I would think it what they are using to deny
2014-07-22 1:25 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

I understand the issue of trust and expressed that to the agent i spoke to on the phone and by email. I bet they get taken advantage of more often than not. I do know that in my case the bike has never been wrecked or dropped and asked for a frame replacement. But I do understand the concern of the other side of the story. I have been very fair in my description of what happened and how cervelo as a company has replied. I don't want to vilify any one, i am just disappointed in the way they interpret the warranty information that as well as taking 4 pictures 2 being of the damage (which is very hard to see in the back painted area) to assess the damage. The handing of the Warranty it seems is to deny claims and fall back on the idea the customer can in no way prove that there was not an impact.

I still think they make a fast bike... obviously they have the market share on tri bikes... just putting out there the issue i had and how it was handled. Funny you mention garmin... my 910 stopped charging about 6 months after i had it... called, sent it in and it was replaced within a week. wether that was the norm for that company or not.. i have expressed as much satisfaction with that warranty claim to my friends and tri club members as i have with my dissatisfaction of the bike. just depends on what side of the word of mouth a company wants to be on i guess.
2014-07-22 2:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
So you would say that it was more of a manufacturer's issue with the frame and not the two years of use that resulted in a crack?

Again, just asking questions, not attacking or pointing blame.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2014-07-22 2:12 PM
2014-07-22 2:22 PM

User image

Long Island, NY
Cervelo is a horrible company. I spent 10g on my wife's 2013 S5 Di2. A sticker rubbed off during transport to a race. I asked if i could purchase a new sticker and was emailed No, I should paint it. That 1 dollar sticker cost them thousands. I will never buy anything Cervelo again.

2014-07-22 2:43 PM
in reply to: Jayabusa

User image

Extreme Veteran

My experience with Cervelo is that if you go through a LBS with a good relationship, things are pretty easy

I brought my R3 in for a tune up. Mechanic saw a crack. Had a replacement frame in 2 days, no questions asked. I asked him if they gave him a hard time he said "no, they never do, they trust us".

I can see why the have to be a little tighter when dealing with individuals

It was a 2010 frame, they replaced it with a 2012.

2014-07-22 2:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
dp

Edited by marcag 2014-07-22 2:45 PM
2014-07-22 2:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

So you would say that it was more of a manufacturer's issue with the frame and not the two years of use that resulted in a crack?

Again, just asking questions, not attacking or pointing blame.

I am good with questions... if i felt like my mishandling of the bike was to blame i wouldnt have asked them to warranty the frame and would have just asked for a crash replacement. If this is normal wear and tear then it should be noted that the frame has a 2 year life expectancy... and for a entry level 3k bike i think 2 years if pretty bleak of a expectation. where the crack/defect happened yes i believe it is a manufacturing issue and not from use or impact. If it was at the seat post, a bolt, the cranks or the fork i can see how my massive wattage could cause an issue... but the location makes me believe that is not the case... but that is just my opinion...
2014-07-22 4:38 PM
in reply to: Tryrn

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Next question... did you SPECIFICALLY tell them (both your dealer that took the pictures and the person at Cervelo you talked to.) that you would prefer to have the bike repaired?

A lot can be lost in translation. They may be thinking you want a new bike (which it's unlikely cervelo even has any more "old" P2's now that the design change has come) in which case it only makes sense that they are offering the crash replacement.

I'd at least give it one more call and see if they can't / don't have something worked out with a shop like Calfee.

Beyond that i don't think it would hurt you to try contacting Damon over on ST and see if he has any advice.
2014-07-22 6:12 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag My experience with Cervelo is that if you go through a LBS with a good relationship, things are pretty easy I brought my R3 in for a tune up. Mechanic saw a crack. Had a replacement frame in 2 days, no questions asked. I asked him if they gave him a hard time he said "no, they never do, they trust us". I can see why the have to be a little tighter when dealing with individuals It was a 2010 frame, they replaced it with a 2012.

x2...which is why I suggested the LBS go to bat for the OP instead of the OP trying to work directly with Cervelo.  The LBS has skin in the game with both the customer and the manufacturer and should fill the role of arbitrator between the two in a he said she said claim.  If the LBS doesn't go to bat for a legit claim, then they will lose customers.  If the LBS files too many frivolous claims on behalf of the customer, they will lose the relationship with the manufacturer.  If the manufacturer decides to deny legit claims backed up by the LBS, the LBS will likely discontinue selling that bike.

It's unfortunate that the original LBS (I'm guessing they were an authorized Cervelo dealer) is no longer in business and the OP had to take the bike elsewhere.  But that's just bad luck. 

I had my SRAM road shifters break on me...twice.  The LBS I bought my bike from has a good relationship with SRAM.  Both were warrantied asap.  The first time it broke my mechanic told me that the SRAM rep didn't believe how it could have snapped off without a crash, but my mechanic believed me, and noticed my bike didn't have any scrapes around the hoods, bars, etc.  Therefore the SRAM rep believed my mechanic.  The second time it broke, 9 months later, it turned out SRAM had already admitted to a manufacture defect in the process of making those shifters and it was since corrected.

Edited by Jason N 2014-07-22 6:13 PM

2014-07-22 7:07 PM

User image

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Next question... did you SPECIFICALLY tell them (both your dealer that took the pictures and the person at Cervelo you talked to.) that you would prefer to have the bike repaired?

A lot can be lost in translation. They may be thinking you want a new bike (which it's unlikely cervelo even has any more "old" P2's now that the design change has come) in which case it only makes sense that they are offering the crash replacement.

I'd at least give it one more call and see if they can't / don't have something worked out with a shop like Calfee.

Beyond that i don't think it would hurt you to try contacting Damon over on ST and see if he has any advice.

I did ask about a repair but they do not suggest repairing any bike and voids any warranty... not the part i would worry about lol. Yeah they dont have any P2 classics left just the old P3 which is way to aggressive for my old man back. I did end up stripping the bike and shipping it off to Calfee for repair and am hoping for the best. I would have taken a used P2 classic.. hell i would have taken a used P2 classic with a repair somewhere on the bike... i am not working trying to get a new bike just want to be able to ride again with out forking out another 2000+ to get on the road. So i am hoping that the people at calfee can get me back on the road with the best outcome.

2014-07-22 7:13 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

It's unfortunate that the original LBS (I'm guessing they were an authorized Cervelo dealer) is no longer in business and the OP had to take the bike elsewhere.  But that's just bad luck. 

I had my SRAM road shifters break on me...twice.  The LBS I bought my bike from has a good relationship with SRAM.  Both were warrantied asap.  The first time it broke my mechanic told me that the SRAM rep didn't believe how it could have snapped off without a crash, but my mechanic believed me, and noticed my bike didn't have any scrapes around the hoods, bars, etc.  Therefore the SRAM rep believed my mechanic.  The second time it broke, 9 months later, it turned out SRAM had already admitted to a manufacture defect in the process of making those shifters and it was since corrected.

Yeah the store i bought it from went out of business about a year after i purchased the bike from them. I started to go to this other tri shop after that for all my work. I have a good relationship with this tri shop and feel that they have done what can considering that they are very new and do not really have any vested interest in this bike. That is cool that you were backed up by your LBS and SRAM.

overall i am happy with the decision i made to get it to the repair shop for repair, i like the frame have "history" with it will be glad to have it back.

2014-07-22 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I've had a very positive time with Cervelo when I had an issue. Actually crashed and snapped the front forks off the bike during a race. Was fixed and back on the road in less than 5 days. Went through my LBS (where I bought it) and they are a big Cervelo dealer.
2014-07-22 8:35 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

thats good to hear... hope you were ok after that crash.. it is never in my mind, crashing that is, till someone does and then i am a bit freaked about it for a while... :/
2014-07-24 2:24 PM

User image

Just a quick update for anyone that is interested

Call from Calfee and they are going to patch and put UV protectant on the "delamination" of the carbon. Cost will be $350 plus shipping back to my house. Bought new cables, chain some tools and bar tape. Aprox $100 bucks. So i should be up and running for about $520 with a patch on the defect.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cervelo Cracked Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

2010 Cervelo P2....or 2011 Cervelo P2...

Started by trinado
Views: 7164 Posts: 8

2010-10-15 11:32 AM Tim_H

Buying Cervelo P2C - Selling Cervelo P2SL

Started by Bossman
Views: 6392 Posts: 15

2008-02-18 9:15 AM Charlienvme

First Ride New Cervelo...First Crash New Cervelo

Started by Mad Lt.
Views: 1735 Posts: 15

2007-08-19 4:08 PM ranger5oh

Just say No to crack!

Started by Colomingle
Views: 1645 Posts: 23

2006-06-26 6:34 PM JBrashear

Cracked ribs

Started by Aikane
Views: 953 Posts: 10

2004-06-23 3:57 PM Aikane
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 5, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
For eight months now I have had progressively worse snapping in my legs and ankles. Whenever I walk, my knees crack on the outside and they sometimes hurt when this happens.

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?