User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Buy the disc or not?
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

If you want it and can afford it, buy it.  

Don't expect any significant time savings with it over what you currently have though.  You will gain the cool "whomp, whomp" sound too - also an important consideration.  

I've always thought if you could market an incredibly cheap, bas azz looking, but totally useless disc you could make a killing. I couldn't care less about the time savings as I'm no where close to the point where it would make a difference, but the sound and look are killer!

I believe this is what Flo has attempted and they have done very well.  Though you get the added bonus that their wheel is NOT useless.   

I don't think you get the sound with their disc though?

Flo disc wheels DO make a sound - like 2 trash can lids being banged together. Perhaps more intimidating than whoomp whoomp., it sounds like the Gruffalo is coming to get you.

I like Flo wheels, but their disc is pointless IMO, and they pretty much say so - get the 90 and a wheelcover, you can tape the cover against the spokes and not get that horrible sound, AND you can take the damn thing off if you want. Best of all worlds.

2014-07-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by fisherman76

Don't expect any significant time savings with it over what you currently have though.  You will gain the cool "whomp, whomp" sound too - also an important consideration.  

I've always thought if you could market an incredibly cheap, bas azz looking, but totally useless disc you could make a killing. I couldn't care less about the time savings as I'm no where close to the point where it would make a difference, but the sound and look are killer!

I believe this is what Flo has attempted and they have done very well.  Though you get the added bonus that their wheel is NOT useless.   

Flo disc wheels DO make a sound - like 2 trash can lids being banged together. Perhaps more intimidating than whoomp whoomp., it sounds like the Gruffalo is coming to get you. I like Flo wheels, but their disc is pointless IMO, and they pretty much say so - get the 90 and a wheelcover, you can tape the cover against the spokes and not get that horrible sound, AND you can take the damn thing off if you want. Best of all worlds.
I thought they recently redesigned the disk internals to solve this as well as made it 11 speed compatible.

2014-07-18 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by fisherman76

Flo disc wheels DO make a sound - like 2 trash can lids being banged together. Perhaps more intimidating than whoomp whoomp., it sounds like the Gruffalo is coming to get you. I like Flo wheels, but their disc is pointless IMO, and they pretty much say so - get the 90 and a wheelcover, you can tape the cover against the spokes and not get that horrible sound, AND you can take the damn thing off if you want. Best of all worlds.

The noise issue was only for the first run of Flo discs, they fixed the issue after that first run and there have been no problems since and no "trash can lid" noise.

2014-07-18 11:41 AM

User image

Oakville

I have the FLO 90 with a Wheelbuilder cover and IMO best bang for your buck out there.

The first season I used the clips that were provided with the Wheelbuilder cover but have since used some packing tape to hold the cover against the spokes and electrical tape around the entire rim.

My only complaint is you can't lace a powermeter to FLO wheels.

2014-07-18 12:29 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Scott71

I have the FLO 90 with a Wheelbuilder cover and IMO best bang for your buck out there.

The first season I used the clips that were provided with the Wheelbuilder cover but have since used some packing tape to hold the cover against the spokes and electrical tape around the entire rim.

Why not?  I know one can lace a PT to a FLO 30 because I bought the FLO hub from a guy on ST that did this.

2014-07-18 12:53 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Originally posted by Donto

Why not?  I know one can lace a PT to a FLO 30 because I bought the FLO hub from a guy on ST that did this.

Yes, they announced Flo 30 was PT compatble

2014-07-18 1:53 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by Donto

It sounds like it may be possible on future wheels but not currently compatible.  From the FAQ page on the FLO website:

(FLO PT.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
FLO PT.PNG (12KB - 0 downloads)
2014-07-18 8:19 PM
in reply to: cornick

Regular
This article sums up butyl vs latex tubes. http://www.bicycletires.com/butyl-vs-latex-tubes-article. IMO you need to be at the pointy end of the stick for the benefits to outweigh the risks.

Conti GP4000s seem to be the perfect mix of low rolling resistance (although not the lowest) and puncture resistance (VG). I did read somewhere that their aerodynamics are very good but that starts to diminish slowly after just 400 miles. Might want to slap a new pair on a few weeks prior to your A race.
2014-07-18 9:06 PM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by riltri This article sums up butyl vs latex tubes. http://www.bicycletires.com/butyl-vs-latex-tubes-article. IMO you need to be at the pointy end of the stick for the benefits to outweigh the risks. Conti GP4000s seem to be the perfect mix of low rolling resistance (although not the lowest) and puncture resistance (VG). I did read somewhere that their aerodynamics are very good but that starts to diminish slowly after just 400 miles. Might want to slap a new pair on a few weeks prior to your A race.
Disagree.  When installed correctly its better than or no different than butyl on flatting. Just have to pay attention that its not pinched between the tire and rim.  With latex based sealant added latex tubes seem to be even better than butyl with sealant added for flat protection.  You have to make sure your rim tape is solid but it should be anyway. Latex is always faster, I've been lazy and have left my front tire latex in now for 3 years.  The rear gets changed as I've now been changing my rear tire for the trainer to save the wear and tear on it.

2014-07-18 9:06 PM
in reply to: riltri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by riltri This article sums up butyl vs latex tubes. http://www.bicycletires.com/butyl-vs-latex-tubes-article. IMO you need to be at the pointy end of the stick for the benefits to outweigh the risks.

And your opinion would be wrong.

2014-07-18 9:34 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by riltri This article sums up butyl vs latex tubes. http://www.bicycletires.com/butyl-vs-latex-tubes-article. IMO you need to be at the pointy end of the stick concerned about going faster for the benefits to outweigh the risks.

And your opinion would be wrong.

Now it's fixed.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buy the disc or not? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

to buy or not to buy (wetsuit)

Started by Fogflip
Views: 621 Posts: 2

2011-08-24 11:14 PM bikerchick2930

To buy, or not to buy...used parts?

Started by Kermat89
Views: 648 Posts: 4

2011-07-05 2:46 PM DarkSpeedWorks

Zipp's 2008 Disc Wheel (not your typical question) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by triritter
Views: 3120 Posts: 64

2008-07-31 9:24 PM triritter

computrainer -- to buy or not

Started by instigator
Views: 739 Posts: 9

2006-08-14 10:45 AM instigator

to buy or not to buy a wetsuit??

Started by instigator
Views: 835 Posts: 9

2005-07-19 9:32 PM trimossy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After surgery for a herniated disc, is running causing a repeat injury?

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : June 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
I know that annular tears mean there is a risk for a bigger disc blow-out. How do I continue to train and compete without putting myself at risk for worsening of my injury?
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.