General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coaching books Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-17 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: Coaching books

I want to get BT's current take on this, as I've been sensing that the resources I've been using (and shall remain nameless) might be dated in their thinking.

What are the best books out there right now for helping a self-coached triathlete?  My particular interest is toward the pointy end, not so much starting in the sport (although comments on that would be very welcome here on BT, of course!).  

I know the cannons of the sport and the usual suspects, but is there a really fresh, sound guide out there for training up to crush it?  What do you like???

Matt

(and I probably have most of what's out there, but you don't know what you don't know, you know?)  

2014-07-17 9:31 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Coaching books
IMO the best books for a self coached athlete are Dr Phil Skiba's, both available at http://www.physfarm.com.

Scientific Training for Triathletes and Triathletes Guide to Training with Power

They are both far superior to any other resources available (if you want to build and understand the why of your training plan). It helps if you have GPS for running and power for the bike but you can do it without both of these.

While the books are written at a very understandable level for most, they are well referenced so you can dig deeper if you desire.

If you are looking for a training plan to be spelled out, these are not the books for you; something like Fitzgerald's book of plans is a better resource for plans.

Shane
2014-07-17 9:32 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by gsmacleod

IMO the best books for a self coached athlete are Dr Phil Skiba's, both available at http://www.physfarm.com.

Scientific Training for Triathletes and Triathletes Guide to Training with Power

They are both far superior to any other resources available (if you want to build and understand the why of your training plan). It helps if you have GPS for running and power for the bike but you can do it without both of these.

While the books are written at a very understandable level for most, they are well referenced so you can dig deeper if you desire.

If you are looking for a training plan to be spelled out, these are not the books for you; something like Fitzgerald's book of plans is a better resource for plans.

Shane

x2 on Skiba's.
2014-07-17 10:00 AM
in reply to: #5026904

Total Immersion has been awesome for swimming
2014-07-17 11:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
x 3 on skiba
x 2 on total immersion as a background (ie the book is outdated, ie, not how we currently teach, but the perspectives are still fresh if that makes sense)
X1 training and racing with a power meter
x1 Cutting edge cycling does a good job of clarifying some myths and providing evidence for various less understood topics

to the OP, if you are well read, many books will be repetitions, but keep an open mind for for nuggets of fresh info.

If you have access to published studies that's a great way to obviously screen for new findings and work them in to what you know already

Edited by AdventureBear 2014-07-17 11:16 AM
2014-07-17 11:53 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by gsmacleod IMO the best books for a self coached athlete are Dr Phil Skiba's, both available at http://www.physfarm.com.Scientific Training for Triathletes and Triathletes Guide to Training with Power They are both far superior to any other resources available (if you want to build and understand the why of your training plan). It helps if you have GPS for running and power for the bike but you can do it without both of these. While the books are written at a very understandable level for most, they are well referenced so you can dig deeper if you desire. If you are looking for a training plan to be spelled out, these are not the books for you; something like Fitzgerald's book of plans is a better resource for plans. Shane

Was going to say these books and point this out as well. Skiba's books are very good on the theory behind what the workouts are doing and more broad ideas of training theology. There are workouts in there, but the intents of the books are to aspects of training. As in the thought process for why various workouts are selected. The workouts stated are more for explanatory purposes as opposed to being in a plan format.

2014-07-18 8:59 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by gsmacleod IMO the best books for a self coached athlete are Dr Phil Skiba's, both available at http://www.physfarm.com.Scientific Training for Triathletes and Triathletes Guide to Training with Power They are both far superior to any other resources available (if you want to build and understand the why of your training plan). It helps if you have GPS for running and power for the bike but you can do it without both of these. While the books are written at a very understandable level for most, they are well referenced so you can dig deeper if you desire. If you are looking for a training plan to be spelled out, these are not the books for you; something like Fitzgerald's book of plans is a better resource for plans. Shane

Was going to say these books and point this out as well. Skiba's books are very good on the theory behind what the workouts are doing and more broad ideas of training theology. There are workouts in there, but the intents of the books are to aspects of training. As in the thought process for why various workouts are selected. The workouts stated are more for explanatory purposes as opposed to being in a plan format.

The first couple go rounds with trying to plan for races I did, indeed, use books with plans in them - to varying levels of success.  But the last couple, I've been planning my training based on how my (ever older) body responded to those suggested blocks.  I'm now looking for something that sounds more like Skiba, and have been using GPS and a PM for the serious training blocks (unlike my current effort to just get out and train at least SOME of the time!), so I look forward to picking up the suggested books I don't yet have and trying to figure it out!

It's a big jump, though, to go from tinkering with a prescribed plan to setting up a season long plan on one's own.  Should be fun, though!  

(and here I will say that I know it would be quicker, easier - and maybe even healthier! - to have a coach help out with the process.  The struggle is part of the fun for me, at the moment - at least until I'm fast enough that the time is more important to me… but that could be a while!).  

For the coaches, if you're willing to share a window into how one becomes a coach, how did you make the jump to putting together seasonal plans for your athletes?  Did you first work more with a single race focus and expand?  Did you have your own coach to help you become a coach?  Just curious how you approached what I see as something of a chasm...

Thanks all for the input!

Matt

2014-07-18 2:29 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Adding on to what the others have posted, once you've got the concepts down, it's time to design training sessions.  Rather than reinvent the wheel, it can help to take sessions already designed by someone else, and adapt them for your needs.

For this, I like to use:

Run Workouts For Runners and Triathletes in a binder by Bobby McGee

Workouts in a Binder for Swimmers, Triathletes, and Coaches by Nick Hansen and Eric Hansen

Swim Workouts for Triathletes in a binder by Gale Bernhardt & Nick Hansen

Swim Speed Workouts for Swimmers and Triathletes by Sheila Taormina

2014-07-18 2:40 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by brigby1

The first couple go rounds with trying to plan for races I did, indeed, use books with plans in them - to varying levels of success.  But the last couple, I've been planning my training based on how my (ever older) body responded to those suggested blocks.  I'm now looking for something that sounds more like Skiba, and have been using GPS and a PM for the serious training blocks (unlike my current effort to just get out and train at least SOME of the time!), so I look forward to picking up the suggested books I don't yet have and trying to figure it out!

It's a big jump, though, to go from tinkering with a prescribed plan to setting up a season long plan on one's own.  Should be fun, though!  

(and here I will say that I know it would be quicker, easier - and maybe even healthier! - to have a coach help out with the process.  The struggle is part of the fun for me, at the moment - at least until I'm fast enough that the time is more important to me… but that could be a while!).  

For the coaches, if you're willing to share a window into how one becomes a coach, how did you make the jump to putting together seasonal plans for your athletes?  Did you first work more with a single race focus and expand?  Did you have your own coach to help you become a coach?  Just curious how you approached what I see as something of a chasm...

Thanks all for the input!

Matt

I was a personal trainer and triathlete first before deciding that I wanted to expand my services to include endurance coaching.  I started out by taking USAT's Level 1 Clinic and obtaining my certification.  Then I went to friends who raced and offered to coach them from January 1 through their 'A' race that year for free in exchange for them providing honest feedback about what they liked, didn't like, and being able to use them for referrals.  I ended up working with 3 or 4 that year.  Later that same year, I talked to Suzanne about her being my Mentor Coach, and I started coaching under her for Steel City Endurance.  Fast forward 3 years, and I'm working with about a dozen athletes total between Steel City and my company, Reach Multisport & Personal Training.

2014-07-18 5:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Matt Dixon just put out a book. I have not read it, but apparently it's good.

Better than the books, some really good coaches do articles, podcasts, interviews....
For example, Jesse Kropelnicki from QT2 is a guy worth following. There are others.
There are guys out there...they tell you to do X, do Y :-)

But the best, hands down....are the athletes that have succeeded. It's unfortunate a guy like Bryan D is no longer around. Guys like that.
They key is to figure out who to listen to, and who to not listen to.
The magic is getting the various opinions and putting them together in a way that works for you!!!

You'd be amazed at some of the people willing to share information. Just need to ask them .

Edited by marcag 2014-07-18 5:39 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coaching books Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Book Club: suggested reads, reviews, book exchange Pages: 1 2

Started by HonoluluAngel
Views: 3819 Posts: 27

2015-01-16 9:46 PM ponyup

Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by Rocket Man
Views: 9522 Posts: 150

2008-03-24 3:37 PM kenail

Mike R and other coaches- convince why I need a coach rather than a plan

Started by xterratri
Views: 2191 Posts: 23

2006-12-21 1:57 PM gsmacleod

BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS, I LOVE TO READ BOOKS..........

Started by newadventures
Views: 1317 Posts: 15

2006-05-25 11:30 AM newadventures

Anyone hire on online coach or an actual coach

Started by TimmyMay
Views: 1395 Posts: 7

2005-08-02 2:09 AM trilover
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Resources you can trust to improve your endurance sport diet

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
Getting the biggest bang for your buck; some low cost means of improving your performance and preventing injury.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.